Italy vs Scotland

Discussion in 'Referee' started by simon99, Nov 17, 2007.

1. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi,

I've seen a lot of complaining about that foul that led to Italy's second goal today. To me it seems the Scots had no chance to get to the ball before the italian does. It looked like the correct call.

I would like to hear from some refs about this. It would also be nice if someone could post a video of it.

Thanks.

2. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    I was amazed at the decision, as was everyone else. The Scottish player had the ball, and the Italian player appeared to just knock the Scottish player off the ball. At best, it was a fair battle for which the Scot came out worst. But I don't see how on earth that could be an Italian free kick.

But then both ARs were so poor all game. Scotland can't really complain tbf, given the poor decisions of the other AR that would have had them 2-0 down rather than at 1-1, had he got them right.

3. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    From what I recall, it seemed to me the Scottish player didn't had the ball anymore (bad control) and both players were battling for it.

I first was amazed at the call but when I saw the replay I thought it ws a fair decision (but maybe should've been a no-call).

4. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I watched that match on DVR have looked at that play a couple times, and still cannot fathom where that call came from. You could no call it, or call it the other way but a foul on Scotland was truly mysterious.

They missed both the big offsides calls as well. Took a goal away from Italy that was OK and allowed the Scottish goal that was offside. Those though were both very very tough, I had to replay about 10 times and think really hard about where everyone was when in order to come to a conclusion. So I don't really fault them for missing those. Those rebound offside calls are very very difficult.

5. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True the Scot def did play the ball a bit too forward but the Italian forward, instead of sprinting direct to the ball, barged into the def from behind first then collected the ball.

Clearly a foul against ITA and I was floored when the AR, who was no more than 10 yds from the play, flagged and pointed the wrong way.

Serious injustice IMO (and no I'm not Scotch).

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any foul, it was against Italy, charging through the back of the Scotland player.

Of course it appears the Scots goal should have been disallowed for offside and the Italians had what appeared to be a legitimiate goal called back...presumably for offside. So incorrect c alls all around, but the Scots can't feel too hard done by (though timing didn't help...how do the Italians do it?)