Italy vs Azerbaijan & Croatia thread: 2016 Euro Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It was right after the 90 WC when Blatter as FIFA Secretary General was bitching during the tournament that refs were not giving cards and the policies changed where certain actions became mandatory cards. The idea was that refereeing would become more consistent. It has been anything else since.

2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just remembered the first match of Italian 90 and looked it up. Cameroon had two reds and 3 yellows and Argentina had one yellow. I remember thinking back unlike prior tournaments , the refs aren't fooling around.

upload_2015-10-20_6-14-21.png

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    But Blatter was pushing that for the entire tournament. He wanted referees to have a heavy presence, especially to protect star players. He was very critical throughout and refs were sent home. It was the turn in the craziness we see today. Back then, a yellow meant something. It is worthless today.

5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I disagree with the notion that you don't factor age into the decision-making process ahead of a big tournament. Tournaments are almost always in the summer and it's usually pretty hot wherever you go. Having young fresh legs in for games that have little recovery time...well, that's a big advantage. Let's take Pirlo as an example...last WC, he was great in the first game. But, it was a hot grueling game, and he was done after that. Literally jogging pace the rest of the way.

That is not going to win you tournaments. I think sometimes as a CT, you have to build the core of a young squad and try to establish a "ciclo" or cycle. Lippi built on Trap's team in 2006, Spain and Germany established young cores in the years leading up to the last 2 WCs and they won them both.

Heck, you can go back all the way to 1978. Bearzot took a very young team to Argentina...other than Zoff...there were only TWO other players over 30. TWO! And, I think the oldest was around 32. What did he do? He built a generational team.

Conte has to do that as well. Start building a young core now...they might surprise at the Euros...and even if they don't, that team will be ready for 2018. Oh, and before someone tries to say we don't have young talent, they simply are not watching.

Rosay repped this.
  6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We have some of the best young talent in europe. Benassi, Berardi, Belotti, Rugani, and Romagnoli are all amazing players. There are probably more that I cannot remember off hand.

Rosay repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree that its definitely a young men's tournament. Although Pirlo may have slowed down , I recall many games in his younger days when he played that way.

8. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    balance that against the number of time matches were ruined by professional fouls when players were through on goal only to be dragged down leaving the offending player unpunished.

9. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That was my concern with picking Conte--a coach in his prime who was unlikely to commit up to the World Cup. Of course he's only going to focus on winning the Euros. Remember Pirlo had retired, probably expecting a new manager who would be building for 2018... then Conte came in and called him back.

I'm not saying we should always sacrifice the Euros but given our last 2 WC exits, now was the time to have a development focus.

10. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He already is building a young team with a mind to the future. De Sciglio, Insigne, Darmian, Berardi, Florenzi, Santon, Soriano, Bertolacci, Verratti, Zaza and El Shaarawy are all 25 or under.
    And we have a few talented guys still playing u21 like Rugani, Romagnoli, Benassi, Cataldi who can make the jump soon

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know Conte never used Berardi but has he ever selected him?

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He has gotten injured when called. I think twice.

Rosay and falvo repped this.
  13. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Verratti got substituted against Real Madrid today...

Sal repped this.
  14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, but Berardi got injured after getting selected.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's good. I'm sure he will get his chance as he is still young enough. Nice to see a Calabrese get picked for a change.

16. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    euro 2016 italy kit.jpg
    Italy euro 2016 kit

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  17. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan

excited to see what the name and numbers look like

18. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    nothing too breathtaking

19. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Never has been which is a good thing.

Rosay repped this.
  20. Cannoligol

Cannoligol New Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    AC Siena
    awesome jersey.

Rosay repped this.
  21. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He's back!
    [​IMG]

annoyingracoon01 repped this.
  22. Cannoligol

Cannoligol New Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    AC Siena
    That's what your mum says when she opens the door to great me for some late night action:sneaky:pretty soon I'm going to start wh0ring her out. I've got a sneaky suspicion you're going to be her number one customer;)

23. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's good to get those demons out Tfan :thumbsup:

Rosay repped this.
  24. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan