Italy vs Azerbaijan & Croatia thread: 2016 Euro Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So here is Conte's squad:

Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Padelli (Torino), Sirigu (PSG)

Defenders: Astori (Fiorentina), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Darmian (Manchester United), De Sciglio (Milan), Florenzi (Roma), Ranocchia (Inter), Santon (Inter)

Midfielders: Bertolacci (Milan), Montolivo (Milan), Parolo (Lazio), Pirlo (New York City FC), Soriano (Sampdoria), Verratti (PSG)

Forwards: Candreva (Lazio), Eder (Sampdoria), El Shaarawy (Monaco), Giovinco (Toronto FC), Insigne (Napoli), Pellè (Southampton), Quagliarella (Torino), Zaza (Juventus)

Note: Marchisio is injured. Berardi was included officially but had to drop out because of injury. Hopefully he can be back for the friendlies we have in march to prepare for Euro 2016. Gabbiadini is missing, I don't know why, maybe he will replace Berardi though.

So how should we line up? For me since we can't play Berardi yet, this is my formation.

4-3-1-2:

-Giovinco-Quagliarella-
    -Insigne-
    -Montolivo-Pirlo-Verratti-
    -Darmian-Chiellini-Bonucci-Florenzi-
    -Buffon-​

2. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It should be Norway not Croatia in the thread title.

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OMG LOL, how did I miss that. Yup your right.

4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Please can a mod change Croatia to Norway in this title? It was my mistake.

5. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm interested to see if Conte includes the most in-form Italian on the planet Earth in his starting 11.

If Insigne is selected in place of SES in a front three with Pelle & Candreva he would be sacrificing some defensive cover but against a low scoring Azerb its a distinct possibility.

6. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    -Insigne-Pelle-Candreva
    -Parolo-Pirlo-Montolivo-
    -Buffon-​

7. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this thread turns out like the last match thread.

el napulitan and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  8. ITA-SSCN=AZZURRI

Sep 15, 2008
    Ferraro factory
    So you you want everybody to shit on that guy's head again and all the socks come out?

el napulitan and Sal repped this.
  9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Verratti for president

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where is Verratti? Also Candreva has just come back from injury, and I feel bad to start him. We might be risking him. I am quite surprised Conte took him actually after he just recovered. Anyway Candreva is way off target too many times, so I am not really keen on starting him anyway when we have players that proved themselves more on finding the back of the net. Also Insigne's best position is a trequartista. Also Pelle hasn't proved much, and I think Quagliarella and Giovinco are a step above Pelle.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    SES is rubbish and shouldn't even be there. He has pace but his finishing is unacceptable, and he cannot score a goal unless he is very close to the goal. Those situations happen quite rarely. We have much better players.

12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I prefer Montolivo to Verratti.
    Who would you replace Candreva with?
    Disagree on Insigne. Watch some Napoli this year his best has been out wide left. There's more room on the flanks.
    Pelle is scoring goals for Italy and Sund, and is a #9 which makes a swap with Gio moot. Quags is close but its hard to drop Pelle when he has been doing the job .
    Yes SES is a workhorse who is perhaps not a natural finisher. But Conte may prefer him because he covers more ground/transitions into attack quicker and won't hurt us as much when we're not in possession. But like I said we're playing Azberj so hopefully he'll be brave and start Insigne.

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Normally I'd replace Candreva with Berardi, but he is injured for these games. Pelle has not been scoring enough for Italy really. He has scored only two against Malta (Not Germany, Not Spain, Not France) Malta. One of them was controversially with his hand as well. It doesn't impress me. We don't have to drop Pelle completely, but Giovinco and Quags have found the net more and probably more on target and more consistent. I know Pelle has been scoring goals for Southampton, but most of those are tap ins. Also I like to judge players on how they play for Italy more than their club, because thats what matters. Pelle when it comes to the Azzurri, I have been let down by him. Giovinco is a monster for Toronto and its true MLS is not a good league, but he does great assists and can take free kicks well.

Okay Montolivo > Verratti? Now thats just stupid. Verratti is our best midfielder, he has been doing great for PSG and is the only player who feels very comfortable on the ball with Italy, and knows what to do with it. Why not use both Montolivo and Verratti and skip Parolo. Parolo is inconsistent and isn't even that good honeslty. In the euros though I'd like a midfield of Marchisio and Verratti, and in DM either Pirlo or De Rossi, whoever seems to keep of with the game more.

When the actual tournament comes, this is how I would line up:

-Giovinco/Insigne-Gabbiadini/Quagliarella-Berardi-
    -Marchisio-Pirlo/De Rossi-Verratti-
    -Buffon-​

14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You say you like to judge players on how they play for Italy and not for their club. Pelle and Candreva are our equal leading goalscorer in qualifiers.
    Guys like Gio, Quags and Berardi have to earn their spots as subs off the bench or in friendlies.

I included Parolo for balance. If we totally hold Azerbaj in contempt we may opt for Verratti, Pirlo and Montolivo but I doubt that will happen.

Verratti ....:sleep::sleep::sleep:...... I hear he may be out with a flu.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Okay your referring to just the 2016 qualifiers. What about previously like World Cup 2010, 2012 euro qualifying, 2013 confederations cup, and 2014 world cup qualifying? Quagliarella has found the net a number of times. Giovinco hasn't found the net that many times but his assists are good and he has scored some amazing goals. Berardi hasn't played for us yet, but I saw him as a huge key player in the U-21 side.

Verratti out with flu? Where did you hear this? I couldn't find it anywhere. Or is this a joke?

16. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Berardi has a total of 2 goals for the U21 team. Nothing special.
    Quags last scored in 2010 and Gio in 2013. In other words their Italy form is ancient history, not irrelevant but still doesn't carry the same weight as recent qualifiers.

And yes you are correct in relation to Verratti. He is a joke.

17. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever makes this thread more interesting.

18. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Me and Verratti were tag teaming Sal's mom last night and instead of a condom I used a sock puppet.

vesuviani, el napulitan and Sal repped this.
  19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah well Quagliarella didn't get enough chances to prove himself recently, but he should of. He has been doing great. I am wondering why he didn't get more chances. Giovinco as well, he should have had more chances.

At Juventus 2012-13 Giovinco and Quagliarella showed that they work very well together. I think it will even be better with Insigne behind them. Much better than relying on Pelle as our only striker who kind of has a lack of NT experience. Pelle missed tons of chances. Two goals against Malta isn't enough for him, and none of those did he create himself.

Dude stop it with Verratti. He is our best midfielder.

20. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Excited to see Giovinco and Quagliarella play together because I do remember they did click a few seasons ago. Doubt they will get much playing time together though.

Want to see Montolivo back in blue too. I bet he will start one of the games. Show Verratti how to send a long ball

totti fan repped this.
  21. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well if he's going to play Insigne, let's hope Conte uses him right.
    [​IMG]

Also depends what midfield he goes for.
    Slow long passing set-up: Parolo - Pirlo - Montolivo
    Controlling the play: Verratti - Montolivo - Parolo/Soriano

totti fan repped this.
  22. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Deleted User x repped this.
  23. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
  24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    -Insigne-Pelle-Candreva-
    -Soriano-Pirlo-Verratti-
    -Buffon-​

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That Sarri map tells you a lot about the amount of defensive work that you can expect Insigne to do.

Rafa expected him to track back more and as a result his potency up forward suffered.