Italy v. Ukraine 6/2/06 [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NBlue, Jun 2, 2006.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match is slated to begin later today at about 2:50 EST. Should feature essentially the Italian "A" line-up with Toni, Del Piero, Nesta, Gilardino Camoranesi & De Rossi all scheduled to start with Totti likely off the bench. However, Shevchenko will not start for Ukraine as he recovers from injury. It will be interesting to see whether Italy can improve from their lackluster draw against the Swiss two days ago. My guess - 3:0 Italy.

Follow the matchtracker here:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=195528&cc=5901

If you know of a stream, please post the link!!

2. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much thanks to Cassano from the Italy forum who has obtained this link to watch the match on PPLive if you are interested:

http://www.myp2p.eu/Matches/Match2.htm

Also, LuigiNYC has indicated you can also obtain a stream of the match from this site:

http://www.theukrainian.net/

I'm certainly going to watch the first half at least and try to do a little pbp if anyone is interested . . .

3. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    pbp would be good...I'll help out!

GO UKRAINE (I'm half Ukrainian)!!!!!

It would be especially helpful to the US if Ukraine knocked out a player or two... (I'm so mean)

4. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NBlue again.

I woulda repped you for the links. Big help.

5. IlliniFire

IlliniFire New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Urbana, Illinois
    You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.

6. DCDeacon

DCDeacon New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Annandale, VA
    I hope Ukraine doesn't do anything to make the Italians mad, like try or play hard.

7. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I'll say Italy 2-1 Ukraine. It will be a good tuneup for both teams if they come home injury free.

USA should get a good look at Italy's A team (minus Totti) with this game, since Ukraine will definitely be a good test. If Ukraine can exploit the Italians in some way (especially without the use of Shevchenko), that would be very helpful for us since we'll be focusing on the Czech squad mainly and that's what I hope to get from this game.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    the attack

They are going with a 4-3-3 tonight and a forward line that will look like this:

Del Piero----Toni----Gilardino

I read a statement from Toni where he said that they feel comfortable with this formation and that he and Gilardino are expected to switch places frequently during the play in order to confuse the opposing defenders.

Should be interesting

9. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

Why even say that? There's no point for that. Oh and by the way, Ukraine has a better chance to advance to the 2nd round than the US (although I am praying both US and Ukraine go through)

10. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Re: the attack

Yep a 4-3-3 it will kinda play like a 4-3-2-1 xmas tree though. they used that formation against the Swiss too.

11. IlliniFire

IlliniFire New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Urbana, Illinois
    Someone doesn't know his '90s sitcoms

12. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Cuz I am too young.

13. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seinfeld is on DVD, check it out. It's also on about 100 times a day in syndication.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Wow, someone was actually around to slam his fist on the risk board. Seinfeld really was funny because it was true.

15. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I wrote that match would be available via Setanta Broadband, 450k stream, but I just looked and it's not.

16. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe it's just my pre-WC jitters after months of thinking Spain was going to waltz through this group, but the more I learn about the Ukraine (and NOT Seinfeld's Ukraine), the more that I see them being one of those darkhorses that will be a tremendous factor in this tourney.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them win their group.

But... we shall see.

For me (as a Spain and USA fan), this game will be more revealing as to what Ukraine has to offer the tournament field, as opposed to Italy, who is a well-known side.

17. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos,
    I also think Ukraine has an excellent chance of winning their group though, let's face it, they clearly have the easiest group in the World Cup. I would like the chances of the US in winning that group as well. That said, coming off what can only be described as a lackluster performance against the Swiss, one can only think the Italians will be very ready for this match -- and using their "A" squad to boot. Without Shevchenko, its difficult to forsee the Ukrainians will be able to generate much firepower and, accordingly, I'm not sure the match sets up well for then. If they can hold Italy to a draw I will be quite impressed indeed. We'll see in just a little bit . . .

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    those live feeds are still showng tennis

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

over Portugal, Mexico, Angola, and Iran???

I think we'd win that group

20. secondYELLOW

secondYELLOW New Member

May 31, 2006
    in the goal
    great link.....game is starting

+REp

21. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And over Les Geriatriques, Swiss, "We're the 4th best team in the World... Really!!" and Subway... er... Togo?

Damn. I really want to see this match now, but I've got to finish what I'm "working on". I'm so frickin' distracted w/ this Cup. Last night, I kept waking up in anticipation for "Friday", the first day of the WC... even though I am/was well aware of the fact that it starts next Friday. [/tangent]

The one solid thing I've got to say about Spain, is that we have a crew of young guns who will prolly peak for Euro '08. In order to go deep, you've gotta have young legs. [/tangent#2]

22. IlliniFire

IlliniFire New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Urbana, Illinois
    Any PbP? The CCTV links are showing tennis.

23. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    And it would start today if only ESPN didn't hate soccer! :D

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ukraine dumped Costa Rica 4:0 on a neutral site last week.

They ain't exactly weaklings.

25. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the relative strengths of those two groups is even close.

Spain, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia.

Although I personally think that the combination of Portugal and Mexico is stronger than Spain and Ukraine I'll certainly admit that's a tough call. However, Iran has a great shot as a darkhorse and, imo, is significantly stronger than either Tunisia or the Saudis. Especially in light of their recent win over the Costa Ricans and draw against Croatia in Croatia. In qualifiying they split with the Japanese as well. I think the presence of Iran makes that a much, much tougher group.