Italy v Germany v England in UEFA Coefficient Rankings(R)

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Deleted User x, Aug 9, 2017.

1. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I think this stuff is pretty stupid to argue over but even I thought there was way too much going to ground.

On one play Ashley Young exposes his studs and caught the Colombian CDM right on the ankle. Insanely Young won a free kick somehow because he went to ground clutching his leg. It was too much.

2. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Colombia chose to turn it into a shit show rather then a football match

They got what they wanted and lost

Boo hooo

3. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I really couldn't careless either way for each team. As a neutral, both were very poor in terms of their overall play and it didn't help that each side were simultaneously dirty and playacting. England and Colombia were both at fault for turning in a poor display until the 75th minute or so.

4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    To be honest both England & Colombia did not look very hungry. I do need to say though that the Colombians were playing very dirty and fouling all over the pitch. One player at least should have gotten sent off, if not two. Maybe England should have had more bookings as well, but the way Colombia played, some of the fouls they committed were terrible. The referee completely lost control of the game at one point.

Both teams looked pretty equal, with England slightly the better side, but neither team played with that much hunger or determination. I say England might just deserve it over Colombia due to not playing as dirty and at least trying the harder of the two, although not by much.

5. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Colombia without James are a completely different team. His exclusion meant that Cuadrado had to play behind Falcao with Arias playing higher. That reduced Cuadrado's best attributes out wide. Quintero also had to play higher to compensate. James in the line up forces the opposition to crowd him which frees up space for Quintero's passing. Instead, without James he was nullified pretty easily. Even Falcao was very isolated without James drifting close to him. It just isn't the same Colombia that destroyed Poland 3-0.

It's a pity that James wasn't fit for this match as it reduced the spectacle of it.

6. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yes what you say is true. But even with James, I think England still could have got the win. James is not as good as you think. 4 years ago, he was at his prime and having the season of his life. Kind of like Salah last season.

7. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he would have given them more attacking options while leaving more space for england down the middle

8. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Pretty much.

9. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    This is starting to look really interesting:

Burnley went 3-1 down to Olympiacos today. I say has a good chance of turning it around, but its 50-50.

Atalanta drew with Copenhagen at home today. This could also go 50-50.

RB Leipzig drew Zorya Luhansk in Ukraine despite the Ukrainian team down to 10 men for much of the game. It will be tough, but I expect RB Leipzig to find a way through in Germany.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burnley could advance, but they need to score at least 2, and they have a hard time scoring. They scored under 1 goal per game in the Premier League, and I doubt many clubs qualify for Europe through league position scoring that little.

11. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Oh yeah. Forgot the fact that they have trouble scoring. Its going to be tough, and that is if Olympiacos do not score any themselves.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I would say its well under 50% that Burnley advance. More like 10-15% IMO.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burnley has 1 draw and 2 losses in the Premier League with 3 goals scored and 7 allowed. Their opponents were 14th last season, 17th last season (the bottom club that survived), and newly promoted Fulham.

14. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I tip Olympiacos. Just trying to say that you can never rule a team out, but I always fancied Olympiacos even before the game started. Also don't forget that teams do often perform better in Europe than their league form. With that saying though, I expect Olympiacos to see out Burnley on Thursday.

15. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Oh My Goodness, this is gonna look very interesting.

Bundesliga:
    Dortmund:
    Has a good chance of making it through, but I tip Atletico and Monaco. Dortmund has literally lost all their best players. Reus is there only world class player now. I give them a 40% chance of making it through. However I say most likely they make Europa League.
    Schalke 04: This group will look really interesting. Porto can be a hit or a miss. I fancy Lokomotiv Moscow to be the surprise team. Galatasaray I don't see much from them. Overall I say all three teams except Galatasaray all have an equal percentage of advancing, so I give Schalke a 50% chance, maybe 55%. They will definitely make Europa League at the very least, but I think they have what it takes to go to Round of 16. It will be very tight, and we'll see what happens.
    Bayern Munich: Now this team has seen better days, but they got lucky with a fairly easy group, and I tip them to get first spot comfortably and go to Round of 16. They are clearly superior to any of the other teams in their group. Easy first place. 86% chance of winning the group, and 93% chance of making Round of 16.
    1899 Hoffenheim: I say Hoffenheim have a slight chance, but I don't see much from them. Manchester City will win the group, with Shakhtar and Lyon battling out for second. I say Hoffenheim might pick up a few points here or there, but don't see them even making Europa League. 37% chance of making EL, and 20% chance of advancing to Round of 16.
    Bayer Leverkusen: It's been a while since I watched them play, but I expect them to make Round of 32 in Europa League with no problems. Fairly easy group.
    RB Leipzig: Salzburg were semifinalists last season, and Celtic can be good on their day. I say 50% chance of advancing. Leipzig has looked very questionable to me throughout the playoff campaign and almost lost to Luhansk but got a penalty in the end. Could really go either way.
    Eintracht Frankfurt: Lazio and Marseille are tough teams. Many people might write this team off, but I feel they could surprise and get second place after Lazio knocking Marseille out. They made a few good signings this summer. 50$ chance of advancing, but I fancy them.

Serie A:
    Inter Milan:
    Overall before the season started, they were tipped to do well in Serie A, but so far it is not turning out well for them. I say they have a 50% chance of making it to Round of 16, but I fancy them. I just have a feeling they will step it up in the UCL and knock out Tottenham although it will be very tight. At least they will make Europa League.
    Napoli: I see Napoli making Europa League. They have maybe a 40% chance of making it to UCL Round of 16, but I just think PSG and Liverpool have too much for them, even with Ancelotti as coach. You can never write of Ancelotti, but I just feel their defense is not good enough to handle the pace attacks from PSG and Liverpool. It will be a fun group to watch though. I HOPE I AM WRONG.
    Roma: Should make second place in their group after Real Madrid. They must not underestimate any team, but I feel their days of doing that is over. Di Francesco is a good manager and he should have what it takes to bring them a spot in Round of 16 after Real Madrid.
    Juventus: As a Juventus fan, I believe we will win our group, but not as easily as some people might tip us. Juventus is a team that snatches wins at death in the first half of the season and don't really turn it on until second leg of Round of 16 usually. I fancy us to win the group, but we will definitely drop some points, possibly in Spain on Wednesday. Won't be as easy as some might think.
    AC Milan: Should win their Europa League group without too many problems. Olympiacos will scare them during the group stage campaign, but in the end I expect Milan to book a spot in Round of 32 as group winners.
    Lazio: Their group is somewhat tough with Marseille and Frankfurt. I expect them to clinch a group winners spot as well, but as I said earlier Frankfurt could surprise people. I expect Lazio and Frankfurt to make it through in that order, but would not be surprised if Lazio gets pushed down to second place.

Premier League:
    Tottenham Hotspur:
    As I mentioned earlier, I expect Barcelona and Inter to advance, but Tottenham can never be ruled out. I fancy Inter, but I still give Tottenham a 50% chance. Its just that with the exception of last season, they have always been a disappointment in the UCL of recent years, and in the EPL they are not looking as good as they did last season, although still look fairly decent. We will see what happens. It could go either way.
    Liverpool: Liverpool are definitely in the group of death. PSG and Ancelotti's Napoli are tough teams. However, Klopp is also a smart and experienced manager and I think he will have just enough to take Liverpool through to Round of 16 after PSG. Their defense is definitely something they must keep an eye on, but I think they will have enough to send Napoli packing their bags to the Europa League, and make the Round of 16 as runners up. 60% chance of advancing.
    Manchester City: Luckily got a fairly easy group, and should win their group pretty comfortably. They might drop a few points here and there, but usually Pep is strong in the UCL group stage, and their team is superior to all the others in their group on paper. 80% chance of winning the group. 89% chance of advancing.
    Manchester United: Now this is the EPL team that I tip to be a huge disappointment and get sent down to the Europa League. Juventus are a strong team, and Valencia have been growing full of confidence. I give Man Utd a 40% chance of advancing, but I think it will be Juventus and Valencia, and Man Utd will go down to Europa League. They have not looked that great.
    Chelsea: Should win their Europa League group pretty easily and comfortably. No more details needed.
    Arsenal: Sporting CP might scare them and give them two tough games, but I expect Arsenal to win their group and go to Round of 32 in the end. Should not have too many problems achieving that.

Deleted User x repped this.
  16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give Dortmund and Hoffenheim a better chance than you. Atletico disappointed in last season's Champions League and isn't off to a good start in La Liga in ninth with a -1 goal differential. Hoffenheim probably won't advance to the Round of 16, but I give them higher than a 20% chance. If Hoffenheim get a win or draw at Shakhtar tomorrow, I might call Hoffenheim the most likely club to finish second. Hoffenheim ends at Manchester City, and Hoffenheim should hope Manchester City clinches first before then and rests players. It's the second consecutive season Manchester City and Shakhtar were grouped together. Last season both club won at home.

17. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Hard to say. Atletico is not as good as previously but I feel they are a team that is made to beat big teams, especially teams that like to attack. Also I feel they are better this season than last with Diego Costa back especially. They did disappoint last season, but they did have a tough group, and I feel that was a fluke. Its only the draws against Qarabag that costed them. They won the Europa League pretty comfortably after that, so I believe it was just a fluke.

Hmm. I don't know. Hoffenheim does end with Man City, but it is at the Etihad. If it was in Germany I'd give them a better chance, but usually historically when teams have already won groups and face others at home, the favorites win, but if it is away they might drop some points.

Honestly though Hoffenheim literally played terribly in the Europa League last season. Came last in their group in quite a fairly easy group. I'd be shocked if they got a win at Shakhtar, even a draw would shock me, considering Shakhtar's home form previously.

18. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    poor by spurs, shouldn't have lost that game

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    lol they lost to a shitty Inter team that is 15th on the table and just lost to 17th on the table parma last week

20. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    spurs are on 3 losses in a row lol

we just beat PSG should have put them through the f***in field

21. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Liverpool did impressively great. Spurs did not. Same with Inter was great, Napoli was not.

I did not watch the Napoli game. Inter had trouble in the final third, but overall defended super well and found a way to win in the end. There was a good Tottenham spell in the second half after they scored the goal, but except for those 30 min, I do believe Inter were the better side with possession at least and keeping the ball. It was a fairly even game.

22. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    rubbish if inter played like that at wembley and got beat in the last 5 mins you would be saying they deserved more.

23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Not necessarily. Inter was a little lucky in the end. I felt it was pretty even game. Each team had better spells per game. I do need to give Tottenham credit though as they had quite a bit more chances on target that they could have put away with more urgency and speed.

24. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Inter were lucky . But so were Tottenham on that eriksen ping pong goal

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't know when Atletico ever looked better. They have a great squad this season (on paper)!