Italy v England for 3rd place in UEFA coefficient rankings [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by BocaFan, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    should have placed a bet for ********s sake

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok whaat? They deserved it for losing at home????? Since when was it a rule that you cannot go through if you do a masterclass away performance to turn around a loss at home>

3. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I expected them to be superior to Madrid this time under Carlo they were not.

Now stop trying to act like your the sensible one, if you lose your home tie you are asking for trouble just like the penalty Leicester got against them away wasn't a penalty you are asking for it making such a rash challenge

Football isn't fair their are no video challenges and refs have been biased to home sides since forever.

Marcho Gamgee and Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    To varying degrees. Two offside goals and an invented red card at just the right moment of the match!

I'm not even sure its possible to lose with that much ref help.

Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  5. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    and thats been happening since european football began, and it will never change without video review

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona 0-0 Juventus (0-3 aggregate)
    AS Monaco 3-1 Borussia Dortmund (6-3 aggregate)

Both first leg winners won the aggregate. Barcelona had played 24 consecutive Champions League games with at least 2 combined goals and 48 consecutive Champions League games without a scoreless draw. Before today, their last Champions League scoreless draw was on 5 December 2012 hosting Benfica.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Despite Juve's best efforts, Italy still 2.2 coefficient points behind England. And England likely to get another to 0.4 points tomorrow. Just can't gain any real ground when you only have one team capable of going deep into European competitions with any sort of regularity.

8. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    I don't think that they only have 1 team capable of going deep in European competitions. We just have 1 team that can make the semi's at min. for the Champions League which is still ahead of the Prem which has probably 2 teams that can regularly make the Champions League Quarters. Juventus, Madrid, Barca, Bayern and Atletico are all better than every EPL side. The current Monaco side would even beat any Prem team but they're going to be picked apart this summer so they may be done.

Deleted User x repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I root for English clubs, but I wouldn't say two English clubs regularly make the Champions League Quarterfinals. None of the three English clubs who reached the 2016-2017 Round of 16 are guaranteed to qualify for the 2017-2018 Champions League. Leicester City won't qualify, Arsenal is in sixth, and Manchester City is in fourth and probably will qualify unless they lose hosting Manchester United, but they're not guaranteed to qualify.

10. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    I think Chelsea can make the quarter finals and I also think Man City can. Never realized how far down Man City was in the league, just looked at the table now and wow Tottenham is in 2nd? So your top 4 is looking like Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Man City with Man City being 2 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand and in 5th there's Man United who sits 4 points behind City with a game in hand. The season definitely isn't over yet for who get UCL spots. Arsenal is out though, 7 points behind and sure they have a game in hand over 4th but I can't see them catching Man City, if it was Tottenham in 4th then ya maybe.

In Serie A the top 3 are pretty much guaranteed, it's just a matter of who gets second and 3rd with Roma being 2 points ahead of Napoli with 6 games left.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wouldn't rule out Arsenal completely by the way. If you watch the EPL, you will know that Man Utd and Man City cannot be trusted. They have had some great games this season but at the same time they have both been embarrassed several times. Like look at Everton 4-0 Man City for example. Man Utd 1-1 Bournmouth, Man Utd 0-0 Burnley (Burnley was a man down for most of the match). Not that Arsenal can really be trusted either, but I wouldn't rule any of them out yet.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I don't see why Man Utd are considered by some to be Europa favorites. They made extremely heavy weather of a mediocre Anderlecht side before shading it in extra time. All the other three remaining sides are quite capable of beating them.

Really good season for France. With two teams left they are likely to finish above all three of Germany, England and Italy.

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know right. I honestly think all teams are pretty much equally as strong in the Europa League semifinals. Man Utd is praised due to history and because they are the best on paper. However their team is proving not to be so impressive. I really have no idea who will win it, but my money is on Lyon if I had to make a bet.

14. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so you watched the game then?

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah. Anderlecht were the better side for long parts. It started to go downhill when the coach took off their two best players, which I think was honestly a stupid decision. It definitely was far from comfortable, and Man Utd was literally outplayed in the first half. In fact the only problem with Anderlecht is they were a little shaky at the back. Thats why Man Utd scored that first goal, and probably second as well.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I was surprised how good Ajax were. Heading in-to the quarters I thought they would need some luck to beat Schalke, but they ran all over them in the first leg and were quite unlucky only to win by 2. Played a good away leg as well apart from 3 poor minutes.

Like an idiot I only DVR'd two hours so missed the extra-time and don't know exactly what happened there, but wasn't too surprised to learn that Ajax had won the extra-time session, despite playing in a hostile environment with 10 men. They more than held their own with 10 men near the end of the first 90 minutes.

17. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    If Roma finish third they will probably lose the playoff and end up in the EL again. I can't believe how far the Milan clubs have fallen from grace. A team like Roma should be nowhere near the CL.

18. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    utter trash united should have scored 7 goals easy, you are just a biased little kid.
    lol jog on.

you made excuses for uniteds goals lol anderlechts was a fluke delfection, at no point in that game was united outplayed.

ridiclulous.

and i hate united i hope they beat celta and lose in the final 5-0 with 3 players getting sent off and you are full of ****

19. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a feeling Monaco will deserve to make it to the final but Juve will be too smart for them

20. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree LOL. I am sure they will be a hard team to beat and will give their all. However I think the problem with Monaco is they are way too naive just because quite young and lack of experience. Also they have been lucky to face teams that cannot defend. Dortmund without Bartra basically leaves Sokratis all by himself to do most of it.

21. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    I've been saying this all season long, Monaco is a good team but they are only praised for what they do in the attacking 3rd. Their group consisted of Tottenham, CSKA Moscow and Leverkusen. The only decently defensive team there is Leverkusen and Leverkusen tied Monaco in Monaco 1-1 and beat them at home 3-0.

Then they played a Man City team who in all honesty was a complete disaster at the back (not sure if they still are) they still conceded 5 goals away from home and lost the first leg 5-3, winning the 2nd leg 3-1 to advance on away goals. Then they played a Dortmund team who not only had a life threatening experience (Officers in the area said had the bomb exploded 1 second later, there would have been fatalities), had to play the very next day and were traumatized like any other human would be. Monaco won 3-2 in Dortmund and then at home 3-1.

They play a Juventus team that could not be higher on a confidence level after shutting out Barcelona in both legs. So Monaco who is praised for their attack, is still not as dangerous as Barcelona, so Juventus should win both legs and IMO they will.

2-0 in Torino, 2-1 in Monaco.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ironically, Monaco might be the only CL team left still battling on two fronts. I mean they can't slip up much in the league but also have to find a way to beat Juventus. Atleti and Juve seem to have their league positions confirmed, and Real Madrid should have theirs confirmed in a couple of days.

So yeah... the odds are against Monaco. But I still think they put up a better fight than Barca. Barca are just in total crap form atm with a lame duck manager. (stating the obvious)

23. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Barca scored 26 goals in the CL campaign. Against Juve they scored zero. Monaco is looking good but they are not Barca. Juve should take the tie comfortably.

Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Overall Monaco are obviously not as good as Barca, but on current form an argument can be made that they are. Barca have looked weak for the past 5-6 weeks. Its not like they were playing well and Juve changed all that.

25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But also La Liga is A LOT Tougher than Ligue 1. The only teams that are really a threat to Monaco in their league are PSG and Lyon. Nice, and Saint Etienne might be at their very best. Then you have Marseille which is around the same level as Espanyol, and the rest which are comparable with the division below La Liga.