Italy - Sweden (R)

Discussion in 'Group E - Belgium, Italy, Ireland, Sweden' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 17, 2016.

1. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.com/2016/06/euro-2016-preview-group-e-belgium-italy.html

After the barnstorming start to the tournament for Italy, as excited as I am based on that performance, I am genuinely concerned for a slip-up. A win against Sweden almost feels like a poisoned chalice, given that combined with a Belgian win will see Italy win the group which could result in an ugly run-in. To be the best you have to beat the best.

Sweden, the land of Ibra. I am old enough and have been following football for long enough to remember that ridiculous flick in Euro 2004 ( note: Vieri was on the post and could do nothing to stop it). I also remember the conspiracy theory about the 2-2 draw between them and Denmark which saw a great Italian side which could have had a deeper run in the tournament curtailed.

Nothing like a little historical context, believe its the first meeting between the sides since then. Could be wrong - Forza Italia.

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am a little worried we will slip up as well, but the fact is Sweden are one of the weakest teams in the tournament. Ireland dominated them, and should have won. Not only that but one of their key defenders got an injury and is expected to miss the game.

As weak as Sweden are though, we cannot be lazy and underestimate them. We really have to perform amazingly and run hard like we did against Belgium. Let's hope Florenzi plays this game as he can really terrorize other teams and is also quite solid defensively. BBC should have no problem shutting Zlatan down. They shut down a whole Real Madrid attack in the UCL, and Ronaldo alone is superior to Ibrahimovic.

Also De Bruyne/Hazard/Lukaku is superior to only Zlatan as well. I would normally say we have this in the bag, but the only thing that worries me is historically we tend to underperform and mess up in our second game. However most of our second games in previous tournaments, our opponents were stronger than this Sweden.

If we win this and Belgium at least get a draw against Ireland, we have won Group E. Let's also hope that the Czechs upset Croatia tonight, so we won't have to have as tough of a game in the Round of 16.

3. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zlatan v Chiellini will be fun.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I predict a 0-0 game. That Italy defense is just too much for Sweden. And Sweden will play a a much better tactical defense than Belgium did. For one thing Sweden actually plays fullbacks in the fullback position. And they will actually play a defensive midfield so players like Candreva and Giaccherini won't find the space they did against Belgium.

5. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Olssen has really shown well so far this tourney. Gotta think a bunch of clubs are lining up to buy him.

6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy doing what we thought they'd do - defend, defend, defend. It's up to Sweden to unlock 'em, not sure they can.

7. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sweden seems more organized and cohesive than Belgium, Italy has a hard time getting through. Sweden also doesn't play as naive as Belgium and while Italy has some nice midfielders they lack the individual quality to force something on their own. Sweden doesn't really have the tools to do much either.

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The pattern in this game won't change unless Sweden makes a tactical switch. I don't see Sweden risking a whole lot though since they don't want to invite the Italy attack. Will it be enough to go into game 3 against Belgium with only 2 points? Not so sure, especially since Belgium will still have a lot to play for in that game.

9. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zaza in. good

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm not sure ... I like keeping Pelle in there because of the aerial presence. I would rather see El Sharawy or Insigne come in for Giaccherini or Eder for a little spark. But that's just my preference from an entertainment POV. In the big picture I'm sure whatever decision Conte makes is the correct one.

11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would love to see el shar, yes.

12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, something happened.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sweet goal by the Brazilian.

I mean Italian! :D

14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the crook factor strikes again

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Italy has 6 points.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Could have been a good match if that goal came 30 or 40 minutes sooner, judging from the last 5 minutes (after the goal).

17. JamestheDW1

JamestheDW1 Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good football from Italy and bad football from Sweden which is what the result and performances from both teams had shown. Although Italy were slightly questionable while attacking, they defended brilliantly, the BBC shut down Ibrahimovic just like how they shut down nearly every single world class attacker and it was a brilliant goal by Eder to leave until the last minute. Even though the defending was not that bad, the football they played was absolutely shocking and it is a style of football I would like to describe as a torture session just like nearly every single Man United game I watched last season, it was that boring. I wondered if they were playing for their nation and their supporters or if they were playing for Ibrahimovic which is what it looked like to me and which is why I actually felt sorry for the Swedish fans for having to watch that crap football. For me, Italy thoroughly deserve the win, they make every world class attacker look overrated and they are contenders for Euro 2016 and as for Sweden, I predict them to finish last in their group.

calabrese8 repped this.
  18. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Always a classic matchup when these two go head-to-head. Chiellini continues to win that battle though :)

Yeah I would have to expect he should be on a few clubs radar, his crossing has surprised me, not half bad.