Italy at the 2008 Summer Olympics [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Jan 8, 2008.

1. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    after looking at those highlights italy didn't deserve to win.

no excuses.

2. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Disagree. Yes, conceding two goals to a 10-men team is disgraceful. However, the first Belgian goal was clearly an erroneous call. So, if all else remained equal, the game would have been 2-2 at end of full time. So, whether Italy would have went on to win or not is unknown, however, I must say Italy certainly didn't deserve to lose.

3. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    As furious I am with the officiating, this once again goes to show that we can not depend on something as unpredictable as the officiating to dictate our success. In all fairness, regardless of the blown calls there is no way in hell we should've conceeded that many goals to the Belgians. Especially not when you consider the fact that we didn't allow even 1 goal in our 3 group matches. I think the Azzurri might've even foolishly underestimated their opponents, meanwhile the Belgians (being the underdogs in this case) came out with plenty of hunger, desire, and a nothing to lose attitude. I'm sure our young guys learnt a valuable lessong from this experience.

4. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    that's just your prejudice.
    This squad stood their ground against Brazil earlier on in the tournament (0-1 loss with two red cards - this time, it were the belgians that had the bad referee ;) ), and before the tournament started they played a test match against Holland, in which they totally outclassed the Dutch team, but lost anyhow (0-1) due to a lack of scoring power.
    Don't forget, they were in the semi's last year at the EC as well, otherwise they couldn't have gotten to the Olympics.
    I'm not saying Belgium is a favorite to win the Olympics, because they've got too many flaws (difficulty with scoring + lost kompany & fellaini already, and Ajax defender Vermaelen is suspended for the next game) but they do have a seldomly seen team spirit, which is probably the biggest factor in this succes.

5. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    I don't think it's my prejudice allowing me to see a few really crucial errors that dictated the game... nope, those are my eyes. Belgium has a very good team, but it's not so unreasonable to think that with a competent referee the final score might have been a lot different.

Otherwise, nice post. Completely agree about Belgium being underrated and, conceding that the Italian team is the more talented of the two, the Belgians played with heart and courage. Considering that's something a lot of Italian teams have lacked lately, I applaud them for that.

Good luck to the Belgians. They'll need it against Nigeria. And if you guys end up making the finals, I sincerely hope you'll give Brazil or Argentina hell :cool:

6. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    :D...

7. The Third Tenor

The Third Tenor Red Card

Jan 15, 2008
    Yes, we have actually seen that game and didn't fall for the general hatred that was expressed in the media at that time.

Here are some facts to educate yourself with:
    [youtube]SbbYI61ymDE[/youtube]
    [youtube]cS6Wqt00gTc[/youtube]

Now watch all the rugby plays by the dirt bag Aussies:
    [youtube]4uN7Upl-_zw[/youtube]
    [youtube]VhDV5kajBP0[/youtube]

Which of the whole tournament specifically? The red card to De Rossi was in favor of Italy? How about the Materazzi red card, when he didn't even touch Bresciano who embelished the fall, but rather crashed into Zambrotta?

How about Malouda's dive in the final that got France their first goal, or that Toni's 2nd goal for Italy in the 66th minute of the final was onside.

Any other calls you'd like to highlight you idiot? Let's be specific, you sh-it talking tool.

Just admit it, fool, Belgiums first goal didn't cross the line, and anyone watching that game who didn't/doesn't hate Italy, like you so obviously do, could see that Beligium kicked the shit out of the Italians - and I'm not talking footballing wise.

Italy would probably have won if it were the ref who ref'd the Belgium/Brazil game, and didn't let Belgium get away with that sort of shit vs the Brazilians. You guys got two red cards vs Brazil, another here. It speaks volumes. In addition, Rossi's yellow card was another penalty call since your keeper had to hack his ankles down after he was beaten. Stop talking crap.

It was that bad that Beligium could have easily been called for four penalties in ONE GAME. When a team makes those sorts of fouls over and over, it's pretty conclusive that they're extraordinarily dirty.

Kompany has been playing mens football for about 5 years you moron.

8. The Third Tenor

The Third Tenor Red Card

Jan 15, 2008
    This is always the problem faced when making judgements on a 90 minute game based on 2-3 1 minute highlights...you are missing the big picture.

Apart from the two defensive blunders that led to Belgiums 2nd and 3rd goal, which there are no excuses for, the first did not cross the line, and Belgium were dirty effin hacks, kicking the_sh-it_out of the Italians all game, and should have been awarded another 2 red cards. There is no coincidence these dirt bags were reduced to 9 men vs Brazil in that game, and should have been again vs Italy. Italy also could have easily had two other penalties. That's how dirty Belgium was, but they knew they'd be able to get away with it given that they already conceded two penalties.

On that alone, I agree, Italy should have won. There is no excuse in conceding the third goal other than the fact that they were clearly disturbed and mentaly rattled by the over physical play of the dirty Belgians who had little intention on playing football for the majority of the match, rather to chop down our players legs as often as possible.

Dirty hacks.

9. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    W/O the ref on beligium side and a better performing team = Nigeria.......
    Too bad our defense sucked @ counters.

Well, well.......Beligium sucked today and got thrashed by Nigeria.

10. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hahaha Third Tenor for governer.

It is true, If we had another ref with another set of linsemen (the one who pointed out the first goal for belgium, who called acquafresca offside when he was about two steps onside on that breakaway in 2nd half i believe, and when rossi scored the legit goal taken away who was called offside) then Yes italy would have won that game even letting those 2 legit belgium goals. Okay no excuses people are saying for this game. I say fine we let in two goals, i admit that shouldnt of happend.. but at the same time we should of had more than 2 goals and the ref kept our tally to a minimum.

11. The Third Tenor

The Third Tenor Red Card

Jan 15, 2008
    ...duplicate...

12. The Third Tenor

The Third Tenor Red Card

Jan 15, 2008
    I'm getting sick and tired of the constant and blatant refereeing going against us in these tournaments. Thankfully in the World Cup final Elizondo woke up and got over his initial brain fart on the Malouda call, but the linesmen almost screwed us with the call back on Toni's goal.

The Euro's could have been a disaster with the retarded call on Ruud's goal and disgraceful goal called back on yet another Toni onside goal << and we were/are all saying the man sucked.

Sure, he missed a few other chances, but you know that the psyche plays a HUGE part in how we perform and little hits like non-calls against you, or goals being called back, play a bigger role than we think on our performance.

Regardless, you'd expect this sort of anti-Italian garbage to hopefully end at some point, but then the Olympics too?

This game vs Belgium had shades of Korea 02 written all over it with the enormity of one sided calls. Let's face it, there was nothing that the ref could have done with the two penalty calls he did give...they were too bloody obvious, but the one he awarded against Rossi and the other poor calls you mentioned above + allowing the Belgians to weild their axe like they did was just disgraceful.

Italy vs Nigeria would have been much more even. The Nigerians were much too strong for Belgium to hack down constantly, and it showed when Belgium didn't get away with that sort of stuff how useless they really were.

Physical play can even things out between highly skilled and mediocre teams. Belgium are mediocre, and that's not a lash out at any Belgian fans - that's just the way it is.

I'm glad Nigeria won btw.

The other game b/w Argentina and Brazil was horrible. Yeah, some nice party tricks by the players, but so open, so disorganized, so sloppy...the better team did win, and once it was 3-0 Brazil did their best to imitate Belgium and kicked the shit out of the Argies, rightfully earning 2 red cards.

13. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    I used to feel as you did, Third Tenor, but then I watched the game again... do you honestly think we deserved to go through? And the quality of play would only have been worse had we gone on to meet Nigeria.

14. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    considering we were bringing the game to them.. yes we did deserve to advance. Actually, does someone know where to find some statistics on that game. I would be interested to see them and would be much appreciated.

15. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    I don't have the statistics, but it was apparent to me that we had the majority of possession. Despite that, we were unable to generate very many truly dangerous chances against a 10 man side... sloppiness and complacency were the order of the day, apparently.

I realize that we should have gone on to the semfinals, but judging from the game, we didn't do enough to earn the spot... frankly, I think Nigeria would have absolutely humiliated us, so it's better to go out in the quarterfinals and let the players get back to their club teams.

This new generation of players may have a great deal of talent, but they're not winners.

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That's just dumb.

17. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    We'll see about that. I suspect that we're in for another frustrating exit at the U21 Championship next year... (although I'd gladly eat my words if proven otherwise)

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Why frustrating? Only one team can win. Doesn't make every other player a loser.

19. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well they have not proven anything yet. Kind of hard hard to do that when you are 3 years behind teams like Argentina and Nigeria.

20. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wonder if we are going to see any of these players soon with the National team. This is kind of disturbing if true because I got this list from wikipedia so I am not 100 % sure if it is correct but if it is then I would have to say that with this list of players that would be available Italy would have to be the favorite.

Players born in 1986 or later are eligible for the 2007-09 UEFA European U-21 Championship.

1986-born
    (eligible to 2009 UEFA U21 Champ)

Ignazio Abate
    Marco Andreolli
    Salvatore Bocchetti
    Luca Cigarini
    Domenico Criscito
    Paolo De Ceglie
    Claudio Marchisio
    Lino Marzoratti
    Piermario Morosini
    Marco Motta
    Pablo Daniel Osvaldo
    Francesco Pisano
    Nicola Pozzi
    Fabiano Santacroce

1987-born
    (eligible to 2009 UEFA U21 Champ)

Robert Acquafresca
    Antonio Candreva
    Alessio Cerci
    Andrea Consigli
    Daniele Dessena
    Sebastian Giovinco
    Davide Lanzafame
    Arturo Lupoli
    Gabriele Paonessa
    Giuseppe Rossi
    Marco Rossi
    Matteo Rubin
    Salvatore Sirigu

1988-born
    (eligible to 2011 UEFA U21 Champ)

Enrico Alfonso
    Lorenzo De Silvestri
    Davide Di Gennaro
    Andrea Ranocchia
    Andrea Russotto

1989-born
    (eligible to 2011 UEFA U21 Champ)

Francesco Bolzoni

1990-born
    (eligible to 2013 UEFA U21 Champ)

Alberto Paloschi
    Mario Balotelli

21. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    They've proven that there are big talents alive and kicking in Italy. Which is more then what you can say about England and the likes.

22. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Is that who we're competing with now?

And while there may be big talents alive in and kicking in Italy, they become worse than useless when they turn in uninspired performances at the international level.

23. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    why pick on England?, whats the whole obession with hating England on this forum?

24. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, we played crap vs Beligium but what gives?
    where was the ground standing and the rest of the blah blah blah

No Ref help ............. = 1 goal / No Wins !

1-4 vs Nigeria QF
    0-3 vs Brazil Bronze game

25. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    It's a very real possibility that we might have suffered a worse scoreline had we gone through.