Italy at the 2008 Summer Olympics [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Jan 8, 2008.

1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even simpler is the goal line technology. It's truly ridiculous this day and age that football won't change because of all the corruption that exists.

2. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Actually I'd like to see offsides handled by computers in a GPS type of system, along with goal line technology before they add instant replays. Properlly implemented they would function without talking time away from the game, which has always been the arguement raised by those against using technology on the pitch.

3. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I really thought this was the tournament where Italy redeemed itself, instead the exact opposite happened.

All do respect to Belgium but their only signature players are Kompany (who didn't even play) and Haroun who seems like an alright player but otherwise its a mediocre roster of players at best.

I'm speculating but perhaps some club teams put too much pressure on the azzuri players to not injure themselves and overemphasize caution when they needed to play harder.

4. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Which is a stupid argument in the face of all the bad calls that already take time away from the game. They could probably use the same goal line technology for offsides calls by putting computer chips in player's boots. Just a thought.

5. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Exactlly, eventually with a chip in the ball, you could also know exactlly who touched the ball last. Which would not only be revolutionary for referees but also for the commentators and the broadcaster.

Unfortunately FIFA has no intrest in these things. This kind of thing would need to be independently produced, and then showcased in hopes that fans and smaller clubs got behind it and really pushed for it.

6. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, you played like crap with a team down 10 men. Still, there were several opportunities that should have gone your way. That matters even if you are playing horrible. The Argie ref was dumb; yet, the standard of officiating overall has been below par. Shakes head.

Sorry guys, I'm not a big fan of Italian NT football, but you guys deserved to go through. I was looking to a final between Italy.

7. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Look, The ref fcked us over...no way around it.

But, our defense has to be better than that. 2 of Belgiums goals were legit. They shouldn't have had those...period. This teams defense was weak, and I blame Casiraghi.

Why move Criscito back to center back in a 4 man line? Criscito is small and not muscular. He can't leap the way a Cannavaro can to make up for height. He was abused by Dembele on that controversial goal. He should never have allowed the header to begin with. Criscito will never be a great CB. His future is as an outside back in a 3 man defense..and that's it. He doesn't have the skill to be a great LB in a 4 man defense.

Viviano plain sucks. He's been shaky in the past and it haunted us again.

Bocchetti is plain mediocre at best. He'll never amount to much. I would rather have seen an Andreolli or Santacroce back there after his suspension was up.

Coda is a smart tough defender. He's not a great athlete though and that hurts him. Still, he should have been in the middle at CB this game. No question that would have helped.

----
    Casiraghi sht the bed on his defensive selections these Olympics and it cost him.

8. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ^^^

I do think that a Criscito-Bocchetti combination is much too....light. Both have very good technical skill for CBs, but neither are physically strong (which especially showed on the goal before halftime; Bocchetti was shrugged off with ease). Coda should have played with Criscito in the middle, as he does seem more of a presence.

De Ceglie and Motta played well though.

9. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the whole team was a little too lightweight. Where were the physical type of players?

10. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Seba might not get the salary he wants from Juve.....................he was average to so-so after his great first game vs Hondrus.

11. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yeah.

Thats what makes me wonder if you look at it this "Quality" Italian team never really impressed, Giovinco's cannon against Honduras was great, but ofcourse Rossi scored from the penalty, as did Aquafresca, where were the goals from open play? I don't value penalties too much.

Against South Korea, was a good game, Rossi actually scored from open play, Montolivo did well, and Rocchi isn't anything to talk about.

Against Cameroon, poor performance, and today, just read my posts.

Now, I'm not doubting this team is quality, but all the talk about how "Quality" this team is, we should have done a lot better.....makes me wonder.....

12. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    While you have to appreciate Casiraghi's willingness to play Rossi and Giovinco + a 9 (basically two fantasistas, something rarely seen); the team is very unbalanced. While this trident attack is a nightmare for smaller teams (Korea, Honduras, most teams in U21 qualifying), the imbalance and added stress on the midfield to control the game becomes evident against better sides with more tactical nous (say, Belgium). I thought Rossi or Giovinco really should have came off for Abate, and play 4-4-2 with Giovinco or Rossi/Acquafresca, Ciga and Nocerino in the middle, Abate on the right and Montolivo leftish (leaving room for De Ceglie to bomb forward, which he did very well today). A lot of the time we have three players standing around up top when the other team has the ball in our half.

Again, this is inexperience on Casiraghi's part. You can sacrifice tactics for pure talent against smaller teams you know you can beat up on; but once you get to this kind of stage (knockout rounds; U-21 finals), you can't be so reckless.

13. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like Lippi took some notes on this because he only called 4 strikers so that tells me he will probably use a 4-4-2. You dont win tournaments with a 4-3-3.

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Lippi if I recall played 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-1-1, so w/o totti he probably going to play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1

15. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, people on here judge players on one game all the time. viviano can be next buffon one minute and suck the next, that is a BS phenomenon in general, people rush to conclusions

As for the game, I just watched it...I don't know what to say...I hate, HATE when people use reffing as an excuse, but some games it just has to be said that the result was not fair due to incompetent reffing, like spain-korea in 2002 where multiple goals are taken off and then they lose in pens et al...this is one of those games, not that italy played great, but belgium played worse. their defense was a shambles and should have had 3 legitimate pens and a couple of goals, this game should have been 4-2 italy...crazy, italy has a reputation for buying refs, yet this decade they have been screwed harder than any other nation....and people will still talk about how italy always "gets lucky"

Oh well, onwards and upwards. this game was a farce and has to be written off as such.

16. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Total 4/8 goals were from open play, but the reason today there were 2 p>k, should have been 3 P.ks the Beligium team hacked 3 Italians Players.......and P.k earned are part of the game.

Anyway, u are right.........this team played so-so vs Beligium and sucked vs Cameroon.

17. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yeah, and at the end of the day. That's soccer, you win, you loose, your team plays good one day, plays bad the next etc. What can you do?

There is no doubt these players are quality, and have developed well, now we just have to see how they develop in the "real game", again let's hope for the best.

18. Wog Vader

Wog Vader Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami Beach
    You must spread some reputation around before giving to ItalianMike again.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You would think sooner or later in this day and age. high techs will have to enter into the competition. I think when some of the younger players get into positions of authority, its inevitable. I think up until now with Zio João Havelange & Nonno Sepp Blatter, they've run an old school FIFA but it will change someday...

20. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    my god...
    do you ever look back on the WC you won?
    the game against Australia for instance ?
    I mean, during the whole tournament there were those kind of incident in favour of Italy.
    Stop whining. You win some, you lose some, you just weren't good enough to beat the Belgians.
    It may come as a surprise, seeing the recent crisis in Belgian football, but their youth teams are very good, with players like Kompany, Fellaini, Dembele, Witsel, Mirallas, Vandenborre ( and Hazard & Mujangi-Bia still to come).

21. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no, there was one call, for italy, hard to compare that to this. 99% of the time I agree with you, but sometimes the reffing is such a big part that it completely overtakes the match resulting directly in multi-goal swings (in this game at least 3) in one team's favor. It happens, I am not saying there is a conspiracy or anything, but this was much more than just one controversial decision for/against one squad.
    Oh and for the record, plenty of bad and/or questionable calls happened against italy that tournament as well (materazzi red against australia, soft pen for france first goal, close offside against toni versus france) so comparing that one soft pen for italy for australia with this match just doesn't fly at all, imo.

With that said, if you are belgian or a belgian fan, congrats and good luck the rest of the way. :)

22. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I knew it, there had to be a Moreno involved in this game :p

23. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Recap : Game Highlights

[youtube]4luUm4ckB0Y[/youtube]

24. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    With all due respect, I don't think it was the transcendental talent of the Belgian players that won them this game. Baldassi has helped them dodge a bullet and frankly, they will be exposed against whoever they play next.