Italy at the 2008 Summer Olympics [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    http://www.goal.com/it/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=539138

Casiraghi gave his first comments on the upcoming summer Olympic games in Beijing, and it was about the 3 overage players he will bring with him.

Players like Chiellini and Aquilani could go, but they may be a part of Italy's Euro 2008 side.

Another option could be bringing along Totti and Nesta, who have retired from the senior side but may decide to go and try to win a gold medal.

Casiraghi said he also can bring Inzaghi and/or Del Piero, again depending if they are called up to Euro 2008 or not.

He said he would even bring Buffon and Toni if they wanted, but he needs to see where the team needs reinforcements.

-----------

For one, I think Casiraghi definitely needs to bring an experienced striker, whether it's Totti, Inzaghi, Del Piero, doesn't matter but the side needs a striker. Acquafresca is still growing and Pozzi is not that great, and the squad needs a reliable striker that will turn Giovinco and Rossi's assists into goals.

Second, I would bring a goalkeeper. Consigli is good but I would go with someone that more experienced that gives you a reliable option. I'm no sure Buffon would want to go, especially after the Euros, but maybe Amelia would want to go, or even Curci.

Third, I would bring a central defender, like Nesta or someone. It's always good to have an experienced defender holding together the back line.

2. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It would be nice to get some veteran leadership on that Olympic side. Imagine bringing home Euro AND the gold medal next summer. That would be amazing.

3. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Remember that Nocerino, Montolivo, Curci, Viviano, Pellè are all eligible for the olympics...I think the 3 overage players will be Palladino, Chiellini and Aquilani, with no big names (or maybe Del Piero or Inzaghi instead of Palladino)... I don't see Totti and Nesta being recalled.

The 18-player roster (don't know if they changed the rule, i don't think so) imo will be:

Curci
    Motta
    Andreolli
    Chiellini
    De Ceglie
    Montolivo
    Aquilani
    Nocerino
    Rossi
    Palladino
    Pellè

Viviano
    Criscito
    De Silvestri
    Cigarini
    Dessena/Marchisio
    Giovinco
    Acquafresca

If Casiraghi wants another prima punta then probably Pazzini instead of Palladino...

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah it's an 18 man roster. 15 U23, with 3 overage allowed.

5. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I see Bianchi and Rosina both having a strong chance of making this squad if neither of them are selected for Donadoni's Euro squad. Personally though, if we are going to bulk up in experience I'd rather it be on our backline instead of up front. I personally felt that the weakest aspect of our U-21 team in the last U-21 Euro was our backline. Chiellini would be an obvious choice. Barzagli would also be a solid choice imo.

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Inzaghi said today he would be interested in playing for the Olympic team. He could be the clinical finisher the squad needs.

7. asprillialim

asprillialim Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Really? Is there any article on the website that I can have a look with? Please in english.

8. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I only saw it in Italian on www.tuttomercatoweb.com

9. asprillialim

asprillialim Member

Nov 16, 2004
    If Italy really want to win the gold medal. I will love to see them bringing three players out of these four from my view:

Buffon
    Cannavaro or Materazzi
    Pirlo
    Toni

As we said the defense line is weak for the U-21, so an important experienced center back must be a convincing player like Cannavaro or Materazzi. However, Materazzi sometimes are reckless in challenges but he can score with his head when there is opportunity from corner. Buffon would be great influences element too, just like Cannavaro or Materazzi that will bring to the team. They could paying more attention on attacking.

As for Pirlo, he is the master of everything. He can create chances and defense well too. He can control the game and the rhythm of the game as well. Don't forget about his deadly free kick that could "confuse" the keeper about the trajactory and curves of the ball will be. He could score too.

If Toni is in the squad, it will be the most promising winning passion in the team. He is huge and gigantic even the professional level defenders' hardly could stop him. Just imagine how would the young defenders could stop him down? Pull him down or foul on him?

So, if the team offence is strong enough, then we could just bring Buffon, Cannavaro or Materazzi, and Pirlo. Let the youngsters do the attacking. But, if our fire power is not enough, then we could just bring Cannavaro or Materazzi, Pirlo and Toni.

Anyway, this is my view, I know a lot of you won't accept this kind of view. Besides, Pirlo has been participated in Olympic 2004 before, no sure he will want to go for it again and will their club teams likely to let their star players participate the Olympics? This is the major problem.

10. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  11. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    if that is true, no chance for gold. the south american teams are always stacked and if you remember 2004, great keeping can keep you in a tournament (pelizzoli and pirlo pretty much were the two main reasons i felt italy got past mali). an experienced defender to pair chiellini and a good striker would go a long way i feel.

12. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    the president of the CONI responded to Casiraghi and looks like it will be an interesting decision. Ultimately it is Casiraghi's decision and I see his point of view. The youngsters earned qualification all on their own without help from any senior players so why add them now and try to insert them into set line ups. But also in the prospect of Argentina having Mascherano, Riquelme, along with Messi and Aguero and Brazil with Kakà, Robinho, and Pato it seems as if Casiraghi is conceeding a medal. For some reason we never take this competition as serious as other countries, yet we should since for the youngsters its a chance to make their mark while the senior squad will highlight the summer in EURO 08'. So contrary to Casiraghi it is in the best interest to bring the 3 allowed senior players to field the most competitive squad possible.

13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah CONI wants the gold medal, so it looks like they are going to try and force Casiraghi to bring the 3 overage players.

Like jpick said, a good defender and good striker would be good. And I'm not totally sold on Consigli yet, I wouldn't mind an experienced goalkeeper going as well.

14. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Viviano from Brescia is the clear choice to me for keeper, he is going to be a star and will surpass people's love affair with Curci and Amelia in no time. I do agree with previous posts though, central defense is a position where it would be wise to use a senior call up and striker as well, midfield is pretty stacked although I do have one player in mind i'd like to see (Enzo Maresca).

Leaving out EURO 08 players who I think will be chosen by Donadoni, I'd have to say Maresca for the midfield (sleeper Cristiano Doni), someone between Tavano and Maccarone (maybe Inzaghi) for the attack and in defense thats a toss up, Nesta would be unlikely to accept the call up and the best central defenders will be with Donadoni so not exactly sure.

Viviano (Brescia)
    Motta (Torino)
    Santacroce (Brescia)
    Criscito (Genoa)
    De Ceglie (Siena)
    Marchisio (Empoli)
    Dessena (Parma)
    Bentivoglio (Chievo)
    Giovinco (Empoli)
    Russotto (Treviso)
    Acquafresca (Cagliari)

Sirigu (Cremonese)
    De Silvestri (Lazio)
    Cerci (Pisa)
    Abate (Empoli)
    Pisano (Cagliari)
    Forestieri (Siena)
    Morosini (Vicenza)

Obviously some big names are not on the list I left out the Cigarini, Montolivo, & company because I put them in contention with EURO spots. So other then Forestieri (Siena), I'd like to see Fabio Ceravolo (Reggina) and Daniele Galloppa (Siena) get a look from Casiraghi. But overall that would be my initial 18 without the possible 3 senior members

15. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Probably said that cause he knows that at this point he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell at making the Euro squad.

By the way, what's the age limit to be considered an "over-aged" player?

16. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I think a lot of veteran superstars, particularly those that are likely going to be part of the Euro squad, will probably pass up the opportunity to play in the olympics so that players that didn't get to go to Euro will at least have the opportunity to represent Italy in some other major tournament.

Personally, I also don't see Nesta or Totti accepting olympic invitations. Say Italy flops at Euro and then both Nesta and Totti are willing to play for the olympic squad then it may create a bigger media $hit storm in italy then there already is. The media and the fanbase will absolutly rip these two to shreds because they weren't willing to help out the Azzurri in a major tournament like Euro, but they were on the other hand willing to give up their time to play in the olympics.

17. homerun

homerun New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    It was said the 3 over age players for Brazil are Juan(AS Roma),Kaka(AC Milan),Robinho(Real Madrid);for Argentina Mascherano(Liverpool FC),Riquelme(Boca Juniors),Demichelis(Bayern Muchen).If the above list is true,the South American duo should be the favorite finalists.
    For me,I'd like to see 3 of Pirlo,Maldini,Inzaghi in Italian olympic team.Nesta,Totti,Del Piero will also be a fantastic choice.
    A reasonable choice for Casiraghi is to use the players who were born on 1983 or 1984.I will name Chiellini,Aquillani,Pazzini.Pallardino,Rosina,Donadel are OK either.

18. asprillialim

asprillialim Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I think it is time for Maldini to really call a time out. Please let him retire. I would like to see Nesta (most probably he won't be there, but it is wise to find a mature defender in the team), Pirlo and Toni (if possible). With Toni, no one can stop him, especially in this U-23 Olympics games.

19. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The groups for the Olympics were drawn today.

We got a favorable group with Korea, Cameroon, and Honduras.

Gruppo A (Shanghai)

Costa d'Avorio, Argentina, Australia, Serbia

Gruppo B (Tianjin)

Olanda, Nigeria, Giappone, USA

Gruppo C (Shenyang)

Cina, Nuova Zelanda, Brasile, Belgio

Gruppo D (Qinhuangdao)

Corea, Camerun, Honduras, Italia

20. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    i honetly think italy will draw against honduras.

21. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy will play Honduras first on August 7th, then South Korea on the 10th, and then the group ends with the game vs. Cameroon on the 13th.

22. gcstorm9

gcstorm9 Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Club:
    AC Milan
    it would be nice to c totti come to the team...i think ne player that goes to the euro cup obviously wont get called up...maybe inzaghi because i think del piero will be called up for euros...totti if they say hey totti come outta retirement to play for gold medal wit sum youngsters...ok i dont mean to be rude or nething but cmon totti playin for u23's could be a piece of cake for him...hed be comin off of injury so maybe he doesnt wanna but due to roma not winnin in cl n scudetto he wants to prove sumtin? i do hope roma catch up n win serie a tho...id like to see totti inzaghi n maldini all play...wouldnt it be sumtin for maldini to play? he didnt win his wc trophy but hes still goin strong...if he doesnt retire maybe he uses this as the proper send off?

23. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I doubt totti would...remember, about the time of the olympics he will just be recovered (or still recovering) from his surgery, so I doubt he will go, plus roma would probably strongly discourage it anyways.

24. gcstorm9

gcstorm9 Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Club:
    AC Milan
    i kno hed be comin off the injury...but wit time off to heal n this will prepare him for season again..ah who knos...a italy brazil final wit kaka/robinho v totti/maldini would be fun to watch wit all the youngsters too...

25. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    These would be the guys I'd say should be in contention just by rambling whats on top of my head: -

Emiliano Viviano (Brescia)
    Gianluca Curci (Roma)
    Lorenzo De Silvestri (Lazio)
    Marco Motta (Torino)
    Fabiano Santacroce (Brescia)
    Domenico Criscito (Genoa)
    Paolo De Ceglie (Siena)
    Ignazio Abate (Empoli)
    Claudio Marchisio (Empoli)
    Daniele Dessena (Parma)
    Antonio Nocerino (Juventus)
    Luca Cigarini (Parma)
    Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina)
    Sebastian Giovinco (Empoli)
    Guiseppe Rossi (Villareal)
    Roberto Acquafresca (Cagliari)
    Alessio Cerci (Pisa)
    Andrea Russotto (Treviso)
    Mario Balotelli (Inter)
    Alberto Paloschi (Milan)
    Graziano Pelle (AZ Alkmaar)

As far as the over-age players it really depends who goes to the Euros, but I'd look very closely at these guys in particular who've played for U-21's recently.

Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus)
    Alessandro Gamberini (Fiorentina)
    Marco Donadel (Fiorentina)
    Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria)
    Alessandro Rosina (Torino)
    Alberto Aquilani (Roma)
    Giampoalo Pazzini (Fiorentina)
    Raffaele Palladino (Juventus)
    Rolando Bianchi (Lazio)
    Alberto Gilardino (Milan)

If Alessandro Del Piero doesn't go to Euros, then he should be considered also!