italian teams vs epl opponents [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Deleted User x, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    just like last year the italian teams in the second round are drawn against epl opposition. last year the epl teams reigned supreme not conceding a goal. what do you all think will happen this year? my picks are that man u beats inter, juve beats chelsea, and roma beat arsenal.

2. The Natural

The Natural New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Re: italian teams vs epl opponents

it's very possible that Inter will get out of that second round slump even though they haven't so far proven much in the group stage

3. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Why are so many putting Roma to beat Arsenal? Arsenal are 5th in the league Roma 10th in the League.

Roma just dont do well in knock out competitions.

Juventus V Chelsea will be close.

Inter I would be suprised if they knock out Man United.

4. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006

when push comes to shove roma always buckle but they are on a great streak as of late. if roma lose the first game don't be surprised if totti is "injured" for the second leg.

5. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think Roma's 3-1 defeat of Chelsea has vastly distorted their true ability.
    I dont see many game winners in their team, even Totti has rarely lit up this competition.

Their real chance is if Arsenal play too many young players like against Porto which was awful. They will have Eduardo back however.

Im still not convinced about Inter in Europe. Man United are vastly more experienced in how to win these ties. I think Inter will be very nervous.
    If they go behind I can see a lot of Ego's capitulating.

Juventus Chelsea anything could happen.

However form in late Feburary could be very different for every team even Barcelona so we will see.

6. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008

Well Vucinic was the match winner that day, and when Aquilani returns he is a potential match winner with his rockets.

I think Arsenal will be happy to have drawn Roma though. Roma don't have much physical presence upfront, Totti won't have the pace to get away from his markers, plus the fullbacks are very slow which will play into Arsenal's hands. Should be a very entertaining game though - 2 of the better footballing sides in Europe.

Inter have the physicality to cope with playing an EPL side. They'll keep the defence tight, plus they don't have a totally inept manager. Adriano Ibra will be handful for any defence to deal with.

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thats if Adriano is even still at the club or picked by Morinho.

8. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

League standing is overated IMHO. It´s a cup and it matters more
    in which form both teams will be in February.

9. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Arsenal love playing in Europe against free flowing footballing sides. The best way to beat Arsenal is to hustle and frustrate them and flood the midfield, they hate it and lose their heads. Any time teams actually try to play football against them i.e Real and AC Milan the last few years, they get taught a footballing lesson. Roma are ideal for Arsenal.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

The simple fact is Roma are a better overall side and in central midfield, which is Arsenal's major weakness, they are far superior.

11. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think I remember people saying that last season when they played AC Milan, and their superior midfield got humiliated in their own backyard.

The simple fact is that Wengers rubbing his hands together after hearing that draw. I've got a feeling before they go to Rome they will have at least a 2 goal lead, probably more.

12. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Once again you blow something way out of proportion seeking attention.

13. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008

I doubt Roma will bendover backwards for them as you imply.

Milan didn't really try and play good football last season - they spent most of the tie sitting back and trying to soak up the pressure.

14. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Only until recently Roma were an awful side. At sea in the league losing to teams like CLuj. Come february Arsenal could easily be in strong shape.

Arsenal are lightweight in Midfield when it comes to closing down, but when it comes to attacking they can cut any team open.

Arsenals defence is not brilliant but I dont see a free scoring Roma to exploit it over 2 legs.

15. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I didn't say Roma would 'bendover backwards'. They'll attack, and that the point. That plays into Wengers style of play. A lot will obviously depend on form and injuries around the time, but if both teams are fit and playing to their potential Arsenal are the better attacking side.

16. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008

I think Roma have learnt their lesson from the games against Man Utd. Most likely, they'll be more cautious and try to hit them on the counter (just like they did against Chelsea).

17. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Roma aren't as 'free-flowing' as the were in the 4-2-3-1. Since they changed formation vs. Chelsea, they've been much more compact and as a result, unbeaten since. The midfield for this streak has been usually Perrotta-De Rossi-Brighi, with Baptista behind Totti and Vucinic (and Menez of late). That's essentially three ball-winning players (and of course De Rossi, who can do it all).

Just saying that Roma have the ability to clog the midfield if needed.

18. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008

Very good point. They changed to a diamond which means they now play an out and out striker in Vucinic, with Totti playing slightly deeper, and a much more compact midfield. I suspect that when Aquilani returns, he will take the place of Baptista.

19. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey

Totti maybe out for 2 months now so that can defiantly change everything

20. ApproachWithCaution

Dec 16, 2006
    South Wales, UK.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales

I think Roma V Arsenal has been covered to death already. Can we move on to the other Anglo/Italian ties now?

21. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Out of the three Italian teams the only one i want to win is Roma because tthey play nice football and need the money, however i think think they will be the only one to lose, my prediction is Inter and Juventus will go through and Roma will go out.

Arsenal and Liverpool will go through probably.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

OTOH, Arsenal play better as underdogs. They'll be favorites against Roma which hasn't been a good role for them lately.

I would never put my money on Arsenal when they're favorites. They completely lack anything resembling leadership.

23. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

That is the first accurate sensible post you hae made here in a long time, you're usually full of rubblish.

When i first joined i used to really think you knew your stuff aswell, how naive i was.

24. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006

inter vs your man u is very interesting. how will man u defend against the mighty ibra? keep in mind 2 things though. inter haven't been that good in the cl last few years, and secondly they probably can't bribe the refs like they do in serie a. aside from that it should be the battle of the titans.

25. eiresoccer

eiresoccer New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Two great match ups if you ask me, man u would easily have beaten Roma, and I think Juve would have beaten Arsenal. Both games will be pretty exciting but I can see both English teams scrapping through with draws away and narrow wins at home.