italian football for us all

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by mr magoo, Jul 31, 2002.

1. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    anybody know any continental or international english speaking channels that will be showing the new italian season so i can tune my sky box in to reciving them before the start of the new season.

if not posible any other language speaking station would be acceptable thank you.

2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    I hear England isn't showing Serie A matches anymore. It used to be on Channel 4, right?

RAI International will most likely be showing matches but there is major problems with Italian clubs and TV contracts. Right now 8 clubs want the season to start a month later so they have time to agree to a contract.

3. forest.clough

forest.clough New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    mansfield . G.B.
    italian football is booooring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why would anyone want to watch when they can get live premiership ????

4. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
  5. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    FORZA ITAliA

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Yes, sadly that's the case. It's down to some big contractual difficulties they're having, and the poor state of finances in Italian football. It's a shame, because James Richardson was very amusing with his puns and remarks.

7. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    FORZA ITAliA

8. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    french football trumps them both.

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Has Gazetta Italia finished!?!?! Bugger! Never knew that. Damn shame, that. Used to watch it regularly.

10. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, or at least I think so.
    Got the general gist of that towards the end of last season.
    Shame really, I quite enjoyed Richardson. Smarmy as he is.
    Still, goes to show how popular the 'great' serie A is over here.

11. forest.clough

forest.clough New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    mansfield . G.B.
    why ????? it is boring far too much defence they need to go for it more . that is why their tv money is crap! premiership is attack after attack and sells for loads everywhere!!!!!!!!!

12. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Brian (who, incidentally, has a house in Italy) is right on this one. Brian (who, incidentally, has a house in England) is thus in the best possible position to compare the two leagues, something he does (when not out with my wife) on a regular basis (I mean he compares leagues, rather than takes my missus out, on a regular basis). One man's excitement is another man's poison. There is much to admire in the Italian game as well as in our own, and the likes of Nesta and Cannavaro would certainly grace the Premiership. As would Brian if, say, he bought a house inside Elland Road.

13. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Syd, are you the only Englishman who is literate?

14. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Tell her I said thanks for last night. Will ya, Syd?

15. forest.clough

forest.clough New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    mansfield . G.B.
    will never agree ..............
    italian football=dull afternoons football on tv [just too much defencive play].
    english football= fun its got it all [even though forest are not there at the momment....... or the near future]. from forest.clough [also has a house in spain , which is also better than serie A]

16. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Funny

17. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Serie A games have you attended live? Even if you now find it dull or boring, your world will change after seeing a Milan derby, a Rome derby or either Milan club v. Juve.

18. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    OHHHHHHHH PILSUNG KOREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. forest.clough

forest.clough New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    mansfield . G.B.
    have been to the glasgow derby which blows all those away , but you would not say the spl is great would you, also merseyside,nottingham[forest v county],forest v derby , mansfield v chesterfield ,derbys may be ok but they dont happen every week. and the italians would still play the same .............................. defence.

20. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    forest -

uh, no. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING compares to the Rome Derby The only one on earth that might rival it (and I have not been) is Boca vs. River. I'd also like to give the Turks a go. But I've seen the Old Firm. I've attended games in England as well - big games. The big games in Italy are way better live than anything on the British Isles for atmosphere. And having seen Inter - Juve in the San Siro and Roma - Lazio in the Olimpico, there was no comparison between those two games. Roma - Lazio was the single best event (not sporting event, but event) I will ever witness live.

21. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Italian matches are the quietest on earth, almost no atmosphere compared to premier league matches.

You can often hear dogs barking and managers/players voices for gods sake.

22. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I presume you are being sarcastic. But if you are not then you are speaking like someone who has never attended a big Italian match. The noise in the Olimpico for Roma - Lazio is the loudest thing I've ever heard. Again, I've been to the Old Firm. I've been to Arsenal - Liverpool. I've been to West Ham - Chelsea and Tottenham - Chelsea. I've been to Spain to see a game or two. I've been to the NBA Finals when the Bulls were at their peak. I've been to Monday Night Football for the Vikings - Packers in a Dome (Domes are damn loud for you European types who've never been to one). I've been to two Final Fours. I've been to Tennessee - Alabama, Ohio State - Michigan, Carolina - Duke. For you Euro types these are huge college football and basketball rivalries. I've been to the Azteca with 115,000 fans in the place.

None of those came remotely close to Roma - Lazio.

Nice try though.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've been to Inter - AC. Quite a do. But equal to the Old Firm? Nah ... sorry. Didn't measure up my experience of the latter.

I've been to the Stadio Olimpico with Liverpool ("we alway win in Rome!") and the Roma crowd were OK, but nothing special. It's not the Rome derby, of course. Actually, I don't think the stadium helps, it's too much of an open bowl.

To say that nothing compares to the Rome derby is silly though. To say that about any game is a bit daft. Depends on time and circumstance, dunnit?

24. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Oh come on by far the best derby in soccer is South Wilkes-Barre Skyhawks vs. North Wilkes-Barre Cosmos. The is no substitute. Especially when the U8 teams clash woowee.

25. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't knocking SPL, I was defending Italian soccer. Italy may not be the style of play for you, but then again, EPL can be a little too much kick and run for me at times. I was merely suggesting that you'd probably have a good time attending the match instead of watching on TV.

I would love to go to an Old Firm match some day, just as I would love to go see Mexico-US at Azteca and Real-Barca at either place. Sure the level and style of play will be different at all these matches, but above all, the level of entertainment and value of the experience will be the same for me for all three games.