Italia vs. Romania 6/13/08 [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by FNU, Jun 10, 2008.

1. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    FINALLY SOME SENSE ON THIS THREAD, 60 + PAGES IN!

2. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Well it's one thing if they are simply from other parts of the same country... But when it becomes all a marketplace between countries and clubs and leagues, where the majority of a club (if not all, like Inter) is foreign....then I just cannot accept that.

I mean, like in the Champions League. Generally, if a club I like is out, I would support the Italian teams for matter of national pride, of course. But how the hell does one root for a side like Inter, which does not have many (if any) Italians on the field when playing? Can it really still be considered an Italian club?

3. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Exhibit A: Inter Milan :D

4. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    finally an intelligent question.

why indeed?

5. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Exactly, I just cannot accept that.

How does that club represent Italy at all? What pride can it instill in people? I see no worth in supporting a team that I feel cannot reallly represent me in any form.

Foreign-owned, foreign-run, filled with foreigners.... I mean...why not just have it move to another country, then?

I just don't understand things anymore. There is no love anymore for one's country, no pride in their people.... Just the acceptance of a horrid, disgusting malaise to which there is no returning from... It really pisses me off, and I feel like I'm the only one who A), realizes it, and B), cares.

6. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    I don't know, reazzurro old pal. There are way too many reasons for Romania to beat Holland tomorrow. And if that happens, nothing we do will make a difference.

I'm a diehard Azzurri supporter, but I don't think they can wriggle their way out of this one.

BTW, will the Holland - Romania game take place first? I don't think my heart could take watching a (potentially) inspiring Azzurri victory against France only to see Romania thrash a willing Dutch side right after.

7. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    the games are same time

8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    More sense.

Since Nesta retired, Azzurri have NOT benn able to find an adequate replacement.

With Canno hurt we are left with Cheillini, who was a wingback most of his career until Juve had redic injuries at CB this year and he had to play there.

Panucci? At CB?????? He is an adequate replacement for NestaVarro?

YEAH, RIGHT.

9. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    + 1.

10. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Let me tell you something,

an inspiring Azzurri victory over France will always be that - even if it becomes meaningless in the tournament. Besides, I relish another chance to defeat the French, we have been so poor on that front lately.

I know it seems such a longshot hope to get out of this damned group, but I have to believe it's possible. I just don't feel that the Dutch are out to get Italy by elminating us through aiding Romania (I wouldn't do such a deed, it sounds really stupid). We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

The matches will be played at exactly the same time. It was probably done in order to avoid a dull reaction should things go the wrong way, I think they do that with every group as well.

11. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think Chiellini will replace Nesta -- how often does a player
    like Nesta come along? -- but Chiellini was one of Italy's best players
    today. He acquited himself quite well.

And before you criticize Panucci, guess who scored Italy's equalizer?

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah they do this so one team supposedly will not throw the match,. Holland however, having already won the group has no business in winning that match and if they want to start their reserves and throw it letting Romania thru, there really isn't anything Italy or France can do....

13. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    So do you happen to know which one ESPN will show first?

14. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Admittedly, Panucci, aside the goal, also improved in terms of being a more adequate defender anyway during the second half. It was already going to be difficult to argue Panucci away from a starting position against France, but his hand in the equalizer simply confirmed it. Let's hope he will be useful in stopping Henry and Ribery, who will be quick.

15. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    One game is on ESPN or ESPN 2 and the other is on ESPN Classic I think.

16. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    99% I'd say Francia-Italia because the Netherlands is already in the quarter finals, that match will not be as special as the Italy game is expected to be.

17. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Who is? Very few Italians realize how fortuituous it was that we had two legends like Nesta and Cannavaro guarding goal in the same generation.

Don't blame Panucci for trying; blame the youth system for unearthing so much attacking talent but failing to keep up the pace with defenders. And sometimes, the talent just isn't there.

18. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Could have had Terlizzi or Stovini, they would have been good for the Nazionale.... (hey, let me dream in peace!)

19. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Just like you're dreaming about Italia advancing from the group? Ok, so there's a better chance of that happening than us seeing Terlizzi or Stovini on La Nazionale. ;)

But seriously, there's no point to us arguing about what may happen. We'll just have to wait until Tuesday to see if our prayers will come true.

20. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Yep.

Quick.

That is 35 yrs old panucci to a T.

I agree that Cheillini must play, but he is still a few notches below an adequate Azzurri CB.

Face it. Once Canny went down, the Azzurri don't have an adequate Italian CB on the roster.

21. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Well, for the last 30-40 years Italia HAS HAD adequate replacements as guys aged out.

Not this time.

That is a problem. Or Italy will have to learn to win without adequate Azzurri level CBs.

BTW, I am a big fan of Zambrotta, but he has taken a big step backwards since he went to Barca. Actually, Italy are looking more like a Spanish defense than an Italian one.

My lord!

22. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I think it's safe to start the next match thread as i am sure it will be the longest one yet.

23. The Third Tenor

The Third Tenor Red Card

Jan 15, 2008
    A fool and his money soon part ways ;)

j/k mate...but worthy of mention

24. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    [​IMG]

Donadoni is messing up the impossible. Today's game was worse than the one with Holland because it should have been easier to read and win.

Del Piero should have been removed after 30 minutes, he was completely useless on both a tactical and physical level.

The switch Cassano/Perrotta is a symbol of Donadoni's inadequacy. After Mutu's goal he went into a state of confusion and felt the need to remove a player that was far from the worse in the first half. All because he was scared to remove Del Piero, this shows a lack of personality. Donadoni just doesn't have the balls for the job.

Then you have the Camo/Ambro switch. Camo was pretty beat in the second half and should have gone off a good 20 minutes earlier, but not with Ambrosini, a more defensive midfielder. What's the point in it when it's 1-1 with 8 minutes to go.

I just can't wait until this fiasco is over and done with. And to all the Del Piero fan boys, I'd like to take a minute to say ...

I TOLD YOU SO

Grandpa could have walked away a world champion, but no he had to try and be a hero. He wants to compare himself to Achilles ... LOL so much for his super form.

25. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    After Toni missed his 1001st chance, Donadoni should have mustered up the balls to take him off for Borriello. He brings along the man who led the scoring charts in Serie A for most of the season and then... when the azzurri can't score for shit, he doesn't even give him a chance...

Quagliarella was almost invisible when he came on for Del Piero. So I don't see how the antis can blame this all on Alex. If it was up to me Aquilani would have come on for the invisible Perrotta and Cassano for Camoranesi when he got tired.