Italia vs Germania quarter final

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Marco Delvecchio, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italians here seem to have this weird inferiority complex. We have done wonderfully so far and our qualifying campaign was stellar. We don't have the sexy names anymore - the Tottis, Del Pieros, Nestas, Cannavaros - but we've been quite good under Conte.

Both teams will show respect. The key question to me, at least, is if De Rossi is out, will Conte adjust or just plug in Sturaro?

Thats a make or break decision.

2. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The media labeling this team " the worst ever assembled" really hurts deep. Trust me !!!

Goes to show that Italian teams can play with the best of them if they put the effort forward rather than take an early summer vacation. Why do they always do well when there is controversy from the media.

Rosay repped this.
  3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The momentum Italy has created still does not make us favorites vs. Germany. We punched above our weight in both those games. Both results were considered upsets. We suddenly don't become favorites vs. The world champs especially since come Saturday our entire first choice midfield is lost to injury (de Rossi + Candreva here. Verratti and Marchisio before the tournament)

4. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree, Germany are the world champs, slapped Brazil 7-1 in their own country. Italy's performance thus far doesn't rid of the 'underdog status'. Which is not a bad thing as we play best this way.

Rosay repped this.
  5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    There is an argument that Belgium and Spain underperformed. That may be due in some part to the compactness that Italy showed against them. I expect the same against Germany. What opponents do not have is a particular player or players to stop on the creative end. But they will find a hard working group that will not quit.

Deleted User x repped this.
  6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's crazy to think about. You're doing all this with basically your B-team.

Rosay repped this.
  7. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Naahhh !!! It's the Anti Juve fans here that forget it's the back 4 (including Buffon) that is carrying this team .

Rosay repped this.
  8. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you saying that we couldn't use a healthy De Rossi and Candreva?

9. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm saying I wouldn't trade any of our back 4 for anybody that got called up to this squad.

I am terrified that we are full of yellows to all the back 4 that if we do beat Germany, we are finished in the semis.

10. legdonor

legdonor Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Firenze
    Even if they go out next round, this tournament has already been a success for Italy.

Yes, we have a great defensive block, but the rest of the starters in midfield/forward are all mediocre players. I would argue that every one of Belgium, Spain and Germany's midfielders are better on an individual basis than Italy's current midfield.

This team has made it this far with superior tactics, unity and a balls to the wall mentality (on a level I've never seen with the Azzurri).

And rather than expecting Italy to win, let's put it into proper perspective. If we win Monday, than we have managed to consecutively knock out the holding Euro champions and then World Cup champions, with a squad nobody expected anything from. That's highly, highly impressive...

I will cheer on Italy, but I'm also realistic that with the squad we have, running, hard work and tactics can only take us so far, hope I'm wrong though.

11. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Right. But that wasn't in question. We were discussing whether Italy are underdogs or not

12. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hands down we are. How is this even a discussion ? Our regulars haven't conceded a goal but neither has Germany. They have more firepower in both forward and midfield. They haven't played great teams but never looked in trouble in any of their games. I don't think they have played all out yet.

Personally we are going to get spanked. Germans are proud people and the unbeaten record really bothers them. If we do win , we are winning this tournament.

13. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Almost half our starting outfield players are from this juggernaut of years past.......

[​IMG]

14. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like media is reporting Sturaro as the regista and Parolo as mezz'ala

we need big game Sturaro to show up

15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]
    note the jersey number haha

Rosay, Rossonero23 and johnny6 repped this.
  16. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Prandelli used a 4-3-3 to beat Germany.

17. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Like all Germany vs Italy games this will be good I can see something like 2006 were it a even played game and we won it near the very end.

Rosay repped this.
  18. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The more Italy is classified as a Underdog the better Italy will be.

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    4-3-1-2

20. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We are not 100% Sure of the De Rossi situation are we

21. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now days you cant trust shit that comes out of media and twitter. Wait for official news.

22. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    We are underdogs. No one doubts that. Not having Marchisio and Verratti are massive blows. If we can't get Candreva and De Rossi back, that is huge.

But, we aren't garbage either. Honestly, from the talk of some on here and in the media, you'd think we were Iceland. I don't care that 4 of our players might have been on Cesena 5 years ago. Verratti, Insigne, and Immobile were in Serie B with Pescara 5 years ago. So what??

I care about what I see with my eyes. Right now, I see a compact team with enough skill to take out the heavyweights. We are very dangerous and I don't think the Germans are taking this lightly. If they do, they will surely lose on Saturday.

Buffon, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Candreva, Insigne, and De Rossi are all elite players in my opinion. Florenzi is close and this year's CL experience has really helped him. Darmian and De Sciglio could rise to that level. Parolo, Pelle, Eder, and Giac are solid players. When you really think about it, there is more talent on this side than you realize. And, that is with Verratti, Marchisio, Gabbiadini, Rugani, Benassi, Zappacosta, and Jorginho sitting at home.

23. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yea, winner of this game will likely take it all.

24. Marco Delvecchio

Marco Delvecchio Red Card

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    We haven't just had success this tournament due to the defence and and hard running. We have looked brilliant on the ball, made excellent use of the wings and switching the ball and looked brilliant in our attacks and chemistry. Pelle and Eder have been terrific up front and compliment each other like peas in a pod. We've created a lot vs Spain and Belgium. Give Italy and the team prop. What did I say we'd do vs Spain? We'd go at them and look good. Everyone was saying we were going to sit back and have a chance or two. We're not ********ing Andorra. We're Italy.

People have short memories. They should have woken up after the Belgium game. We tore them apart. We didn't open up vs the Swede's as we played it safe and made sure of the point first. If the win came it came. We took the night off vs Ireland which was also smart as for basically two games we played within ourselves and conserved energy like true Italian teams do in a 7 match tournament. It could be vital if it panned out that way later in the cup. Against Spain we played our best as we only do when we have to. I love the fact people underestimated us vs the Spaniards because by the time teams wake up, they're waking up in the hospital not knowing what happened because they got knocked the ******** out. Now against Germany, I don't know. Conte is a tactician. He will almost certainly adjust his tactics yet again as Loewe would have studied the Spain game. Cat and mouse game began after the Spain game. Then again, Conte had another game plan organised long ago and certainly after we got smashed 4-1 in Germany.

What ever happens once again, we're already a success. And how good was it to get revenge over Spain and send them packing.

Rosay repped this.