Italia-spagna - 06/22/08

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by DaveyGorgeous, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Thought I should get the ball moving on this one...

2. Pirlo_Il_Maestro

May 31, 2008
    Australia
    yay about time....less than 24 hours ago most of us, me definitely included, would have anticipated discussing our exit from the euros and analysing where it all went wrong.

Well we are in the qtrs and we are starting with a clean slate.

My first question, who will be officiating this match?

3. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Ahò, Forza Italia

4. Forza4Azzurri

Forza4Azzurri New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Milan
    same here I almost counted the azzurri out after I seen the holland lineup for todays game but even with their subs they cannot be beat they sure are the team to beat-it was enough for me to see us finally defeat france in regular time after 30 years!

on another note without pirlo for the next match - I am extremely worried-really there is no one who can feed balls like pirlo, how are we going to get forward without him?

5. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Though we certainly have two big worries: (1) our central defense (who even looked shaky at times vs. a 10-man France team) and, (2) our finishing (toni has underperformed and of our three goals, two have come from a PK and a lucky deflection), Pirlo's absence is now up there as number three

7. Forza4Azzurri

Forza4Azzurri New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Milan
  8. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    But as we've found out the hard way, and the happy way, history doesn't mean anything.

The Netherlands hasn't beaten Italy in 30 years about....and they defeat us 3-0 in the opening game.

Italy hasn't defeated France in 30 years (90 mins, though in 2006 we totally deserved it to be), and yet we won 2-0 tonight.

I think Italy has picked up a lot of momentum from this historic game, and will be amped, ready, and brimming with confidence against Spain.

9. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Alright F4A, take it easy amico. I thought I'd just post it for viewing purposes. History means nothing (as this tournament has proved thusfar) so I second that.

10. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Some points

-De Rossi is going to have to come up big to replace Pirlo.

-I think we can surprise the spanish. Pre-tournament i would have told you that our team was tailor made to beat them. I hope that still rings true

-The fitness and form of some of our players still worry me

-Panucci has to have the game of his life

11. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Though I think with some of his abilities De Rossi can make up for Pirlo's absence, I think Pirlo's qualities are irreplaceable. I see Aquiliani as a potential replacement but I think starting someone with his limited experience in a quarterfinals can be somewhat of a gamble. It's tough, but we are going to have to look for a collective effort of creativity from the likes of Cassano, De Rossi, and others. I would call for Del Piero and Aquiliani as subs however.

12. Forza4Azzurri

Forza4Azzurri New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Milan
    exactly my thoughts, and I really only see us playing down the wings once again and then feeding toni with crosses..we need more creativity if where going to get past spain

13. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    D.Villa must be contained and Spanish defense aka Real Madrid/Barcelona is definitely manageable as Toni will have a huge size advantage which he would not have against Germans or Dutch.
    Ambrosini and Camoranesi must do their parts, but so is everyone else. The only other good FK taker is DP for corners and free kicks, as he can curve the ball better than De Rossi.

14. Forza4Azzurri

Forza4Azzurri New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Milan
    god please no! I rather see grosso take the free kicks

15. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I think now is the as good as time as any to let our YOUNGER talent try and pick up the slack. Pirlo and Gattuso are out? Then let De Rossi and Aquilani carry the weight in the midfield! Also, I say continue to let Cassano start. He wasn't brilliant by any means today, but he truly does have a gift when the ball is at his feet to completely control the flow of the game to whatever level he wants. If Toni can finall start finishing his chances then it'll only make Cassano all the more dangerous.

One other thing I'd love to see is for Di Natale to finally get another shot at starting. I still think it is completely unfair that he hasn't seen even one minute of playing time since that match against Holland, and this would be as good a time as any to let him prove his worth. The fact that he has now had well over a week to rest will only make him all the more dangerous for us!

16. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Lol, indeed. Even Aquilani or De Rossi would be great options to take free kicks. They are both very dangerous from set pieces.

17. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    De Rossi and Cassano deserved starting spots for a reason - they showed today why they should keep them (Frankly, I don't even know why De Rossi wasn't started since Day 1 but that's Donadoni for ya). As far as starting Aquiliani, I previously wrote he has limited experience and it may be a gamble. But I do agree with Di Natale - he should not have been written off so quickly. I think he deserves some playing time, either as a starter or sub.

I think we agree that the backline should remain: Zambrotta-Panucci-Chiellino-Grosso (considering our options) and, even though he has had poor form, Toni should remain up front. What does everyone think of 5 players remaining who will make up the midfield? I think De Rossi is a definite. 4 remaining...

18. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I doubt italy will keep a clean sheet, but I think toni will break his duck this match...just will it be enough?

19. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Aquilani has started in the Champions League, I think he'd be just fine out there.

20. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe, but do we really see Donadoni starting him?

21. Pirlo_Il_Maestro

May 31, 2008
    Australia
    I would like to see.........

-----------------Buffon------------------
    -Zambrotta---Panucci---Chiellini---Grosso-
    ----------------De Rossi-----------------
    ------Aquilani-----------Perotta---------
    ---------------Cassano-----------------
    -----Di Natale----------Toni-----------

I cant bring myself to include Camoranesi or Ambrosini in the starting 11 just atm.

22. Forza4Azzurri

Forza4Azzurri New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Milan

no doubt there is no way we will be able to keep spain of the score sheet Villa is on fire we have no one who is scoring- A defender, a pk and a deflection! any alarm bells ringing yet!:eek:

23. Forza4Azzurri

Forza4Azzurri New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Milan

this is what i was thinking. I like this lineup alot! I really hope donandoni will use it!

24. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Defintiely not a bad side in my opinion.

Not like we have that much of a choice now in the midfield, anyway...

I would probably go with this as well, substituting Perrotta in the second half for Camoranesi again, like in the France game (if it is needed).

25. AzzurriR0ck

AzzurriR0ck Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Buffon
    Zambrotta Panucci Chiellini Grosso
    Aquilani De Rossi Perotta
    Cassano
    Toni Di Natale

I would be fine with Ambrosini starting in place of Aquilani as long as he is subbed out around the 60th minute and as long as we start with that formation. Donadoni got a little bit closer by putting Perotta in the middle (which in and of itself is amazingly dumb), but now we just need to put Cassano in the middle behind Toni/Di Natale and let him work the magic that he has shown thus far in the tournament.