Italia - Belgio, June 13 Gameday Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by 'Uaglio, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #251 Pietro Calcio, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    how the hell does this make any sense or even fair?....I would imagine that the teams that finish best would have first crack at the weaker teams. I understand that may not work well because there will be six 1st place group teams to match up against four 3rd place groups teams so how do you schedule that practically , but even still there had to be a better way? Italy finishing in first means they could be rewarded with Spain or Croatia from group D. Italy finishing runner up could play Portugal or Iceland from group F....wtf?

someone explain how they came to this structure which imo doesn't seem right.....damn perhaps we should go for 3rd in the group...risky as it is

Knockout phase structure
    In the round of 16, UEFA have arranged the match-ups to take place as follows:[44]

• Match 1: Runner-up Group A v Runner-up Group C
    • Match 2: Winner Group D v 3rd Place Group B/E/F
    • Match 3: Winner Group B v 3rd Place Group A/C/D
    • Match 4: Winner Group F v Runner-up Group E
    • Match 5: Winner Group C v 3rd Place Group A/B/F
    • Match 6: Winner Group E v Runner-up Group D
    • Match 7: Winner Group A v 3rd Place Group C/D/E
    • Match 8: Runner-up Group B v Runner-up Group F

2. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    That had more to do with the attackers' inability to hold the ball for long stretches, and our squandered opportunities. The backline did as well as they could have withstanding the pressure that they did from quality attackers on the other side.

3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    My concern going forward in the next couple matches will be how we will be able to score. Belgium played an open game. Our attackers had a lot of space; and they still struggled to take their chances. If the Swedes and the Irish sit back, it will be interesting to see if we can break them down with this attack. Perhaps, a chance to a more dynamic, creative attack would better suit these opponents, e.g., Zaza and Insigne.

4. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Insigne should replace Eder imo....Knowing Conte that won't happen

5. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Admittedly, I don't understand the fascination with Eder. He does have a pretty decent work rate, but I don't think you gain much from leaving on an Eder in the place of Insigne. Frankly, if Conte wants a horse to run around, he is better off with Immobile or Zaza. I guess that Conte thinks that above his work rate, Eder also has the capability of creating and scoring.

6. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Exactly. Eder is the most creative guy on the pitch when he starts. Or supposed to be anyway. He is a crafty player just about to shine. He'll prove his doubters wrong I think. Conte called him up and starts him for a reason

7. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ya its disappointing that Italians didnt show up when this is probably the closest tournament you can have to Italy. Hell you can even make a day trip out of it, take a train there and after the game go home. Flights are super cheap too. There is no excuse for fans not going to these games.

8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Other than Eder, the rest of the team showed up and played well. I like Parolo to keep starting over Florenzi in the first choice 11. With Giacc playing (and keeping his spot with the goal), we will need some size in that central midfield. I think Immobile or Zaza should be Pelle's partner at forward. For me, Insigne is best off the bench, where he can be a huge factor against tired legs later in the tournament.

Rosay repped this.
  9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No Parolo No Party

10. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bring Cassano in, he needs a break from his focaccia vacation

Calcio Pauly and Rosay repped this.
  11. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    So Belgium scored a couple of goals on the counter today. Was that real football according to Wilmots?

Rosay and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Eder is a better seconda punta then Insigne.
    Insigne is a better LWF then Eder.

The results over the last 12 months bear this out. the 3-5-2 employs a seconda punta so in this system Eder>Insigne. This side lacks finishers and Eder is much more of a natural goal scorer than insigne. Napoli fans know this.

Eder has been one of the best players over these 2 matches and still people want him gone.

Rosay repped this.
  13. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Insigne's a more talented player but Eder is mentally stronger. Eder was absent for 85 mins and then comes out and scores a beautiful goal... Insigne would completely lose confidence and disappear if he was playing that poorly.

Rosay repped this.