Rumor: It just does not stop... - The Summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
  2. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    I understand what you're saying about Willian, and it's perfectly reasonable, but I'd rather trust the youth now. It might mean that you don't win the title next year, but will help set the stage to challenge every year in the future with a more settled team, rather than shuffling through ready made players every few years.. Speaking of Chong, the guy looks the real deal. Why not let him be third choice next year behind lingard..?

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Willian would be my 3rd-4th choice target as things stand. My choice for a RW for this summer are in order: Guedes, Bailey, Bale (if available) and then Willian.
    William is not my preferred choice but again, I'd rather go with him than with what we've gone this past season. I like both Mata and especially Lingard but neither are suited to the wide right role. They are much more effective centrally and that is where they should play.
    As far as Chong is concerned, he does look like the real deal and that's why I hope Mourinho will take him on our preseason tour to see how he does in the senior team. But he's got time on his side and I'd rather he play week in, week out with the U23 team, than just sit on the bench all year in the first team. He can be called from time to time for Cup games but like any young player, he needs to play so he can develop.

4. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    I really liked lingard as the #10. His movement is special, and creates a much more fluid and vibrant attack for the team. Before this season, I was a fan, but always thought he was just a great squad player as he was versatile and everyone likes him, not to mention he's an academy product. But before the January window, I was amazed. He was the best player on the team, it was impressive. Given pogba proved he can't play as a #8 and has to be the #10, that leaves room for only one of them centrally. (I'm disregarding the 2 man vs 3 man midfield question, as even in a 3 there's often one more attacking than the other). For the record, I would pick lingard over pogba. Sure, pogba is far more talented, but he is so lazy these days I actually think lingard is better. I just can't get behind the message that picking pogba sends when he sluffs around the pitch and can't be bothered to do his job (tracking runners, getting stuck in etc). How many mids need to be bought to "unlock" a supposedly world class player?

5. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    Regarding Chong, on second thought I think he should go on loan. Totally agree he should play game in game out, but I watched some of those reserve games, and he just looked too good/ready for the next step..

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that the priority for this coming season as far as the U23 side is concerned is to regain their place in Premier League 1 after being relegated. I think the club will be looking to field the best team possible to make that happen and Chong, along with other U18 graduates will be a big part of that.

7. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    You are hiding your cards. You never hinted on what is going to happen if you win. You are shrinking like Messi.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter have rejected a £57mil bid from United for Milan Skriniar.

www.football365.com/news/man-united-have-e65m-centre-back-bid-rejected-by-inter

As expected, the bar for CB valuation has been completely shifted after Pool's record outlay for van Dijk. Napoli for instance are reported to have placed a €120mil price tag on Koulibaly.
    At 35mil or so, Lenglet really appears to be more and more appealing...

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Same. An avatar. I'm not sure which but I'll give you options

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I’m not saying we should be mugs in the market, but seeking value tends to be expensive. Neither Smalling nor Jones planned out, but they were both excellent buys. If Lindelof doesn’t work out, add the price of Rojo and another 35M CB and you end up with what it would have cost to get Bonucci or Koulibaly or player of similar stature.

benni... repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely too late now for Bonucci, especially considering how much he'd cost. But Koulibaly IMO is the top CB we should be looking at now, with Alderweireld seemingly out of the picture. His valuation currently seems all over the shop (goes anywhere from £70 to 100mil) which seems to confirm the fact that Napoli are not eager to sell and will make it pretty hard to negotiate for him.
    I agree that we shouldn't be looking at value just for the sake of it, but in my estimation Lenglet is different in this case because to me he's actually a (mega) steal at just £35mil (the amount of his release clause from Sevilla). He's not well known but we've seen his quality in the CL tie against us, where he went toe to toe with Lukaku and kept the lid on him (especially in the return game at OT). And having watched him whenever possible in La Liga, he's for real. From that standpoint: quality/price, he'd be an extremely good for us.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm a big fan of Koulibaly but he's a no go because of the price. Napoli have enough money where they can hold out for a 100 mil plus fee. And they're stubborn so they will. He's not worth that even in this market. No CB is worth that.

Id push a little harder on Inter for Skriniar and increase the bid a little. See if they budge. If not swoop in on someone like Lengelet from a club that can't turn down a solid offer. He'd still be a noticeable upgrade on Jones/Smalling/Lindelof. I choose not to list Rojo because I'm still hoping he'll be gone by then. He's just an awful footballer.

Deadtigers and Chaz Striker repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are both in agreement that we should never spend anywhere near 100mil on a CB. Koulibaly has been a favorite of mine for some time, but I've never consistently mentioned him since Napoli made it clear last summer that one, they are desperate to hang on to him and two, they are willing to do just about anything to do so, even if it means inflating his value to the max.
    Would push just a little further for Skriniar as well, who I believe is a Vidic level talent. Having offered 57 already, I'd go as high as £65, 70 tops for him. Lot of money but he's still so young, it would be easier to stomach. Lenglet, on the other hand, is much easier and straightforward: as long as we can convince him, the price of £35mil is set as it's the amount of his release clause.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was an example of the kind of talent we should be after not an identification of a specific target.

I don’t care as much as some people do about what we spend, I care about quality on the pitch. If we could land a Rio level defender at 24, I’d be happy to spend Rio-money. Adjusted for inflation, Rio was an ENORMOUS fee and he was worth it, twice over.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rio was a generational talent who was also very young (hence why I mentioned Skriniar as a player we should try hard for). The point I was making re Koulibaly in particular is that it's really not necessary to go for him, when Napoli clearly will not make it easy for anyone to get him. And it goes double considering the fact there are quality options available.
    Of course the goal in the end is to get quality: certainly not looking at players just for the sake of getting shiny new toys...

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rumors of United interest in Boateng but they seem generated by Bayern who are looking to offload him and buy De Ligt.

If we buy another ageing Bayern sicknote I'm gonna be pissed.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sportwitness is breaking it down and it appears indeed to be originating from Bayern, following his comments about looking for a new challenge. Love Boateng but as I've said previously, he'd be the wrong signing for us simply because he's an enormous risk, fitness wise.
    Looked at his injury record for the past few seasons and it's not as bad as I thought it would be, but he's still missed a lot of games (and more in the past 2-3yrs). And being close to 30, plus playing in England, it would likely get worse.
    If it was only based on his ability, I'd have him in a second though...
    And a 50-60mil price tag is just nuts also.

www.sportwitness.co.uk/e50-60m-hes-man-united-attempts-sign-player-mourinho-given-open-goal/

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    The way he's looking now (and the last couple seasons) I think United should just spend the 80M or whatever for Koulibaly. As others have said, if you get the right player then the price just doesn't matter anymore. (See Liverpool and VvD, once he came in and solidified their whole D, no one mentioned the price anymore #wortheverypenny)
    As far as Lenglet goes, it feels like he's more a Barca player..

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Koulibaly was always at the very top of potential CB options. Paying upwards of 70-80mil would have been acceptable. We already had to worry about Napoli not making any sale easy as De Laurentiis is on record recently as saying they do not want to sell, meaning they can hold out for some ridiculous sum.
    But on top of that now with Sarri about to be named Chelsea's new manager, there could be a situation where there is competition for Koulibaly, which Napoli will surely take full advantage of.
    How much we pay for a player is not the main concern here, but with other needs still on the table, the concern is how much into our budget one player would eat into and the amount left for those other spots.

23. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    How did VVD solidify Liverpool's defense no questions asked?

benni... repped this.
  24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He didn't. At all.

benni... repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United