Rumor: It just does not stop... - The Summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't know who this was aimed at until I clicked show ignored posts.

That doesn't even crack the top 10 of dumb things he's said.

benni... repped this.
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Typo, if true. My thesis has always been to play Pogba in a more advanced role, not to shield the back line. You don’t waste 89m on a midfielder who can do what Pogba does in attack. And you don’t use Pogba as a DM when you have Magic. Make adjustments late to seal wins, sure, but don’t waste Pogba to shield Jones.

But then again, you’re the guy who hilariously argues that Griezmann and Pogba can’t play together. You’re the guy who hilariously thought we were still in it for a top four finish last season when we were falling like a rock in midsession. You’re the guy who hilariously thought we were in trouble of dropping out of the top four this season after we opened up a 10 point lead on the fifth place club late in the season. Lucky for you things online forums exist where you can play internet hardman.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Uruguay's game earlier today, I'd totally go for Godin, if he wasn't 32. The guy is pure class and still one of the best CBs in the game right now like Alderweireld, would be perfect in terms of experience and leadership.
    Gimenez is the heir apparent though: I think he just signed a new contract just a few days ago, with a pretty hefty release clause putting anyone out of reach but I'd definitely settle for him, if it were possible. Think he'd make an excellent partner to Bailly and at just 23, he's already very good and is only expected to get better with time.

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Um, you're the one who argued that Fred was a potential successor to Matic, which he isn't. That's hardly a typo.

I didn't say you can't play Pogba and Griezzman together. I said you have to sacrifice the best qualities of one for the other to properly shine to their full potential.

I never argued our top 4 place was in jeopardy. I argued Chelsea were still legitimate top 4 contenders, in spit of being 6 points off 4th. And there were, until the very last game of the season.

I also said we still had legitimate top 4 hopes the season before last in the first ********ing week of December. Even though we weren't in the top 4 at that moment in time. That's because we did. We drop out of that top 4 race until well into the 2018 calendar year.

5. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Pogba had serious deficiencies in his game when he was at our academy, had the same issues when he was at Juve and is the same now.

Mkhi came from a system team in Bvb, buying from there is a bad decision in hindsight.

6. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Agree with diable.

I have always advocated signing Fabinho but more for his versatility. He is not a proven quality 6.

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Ribalta is the closest thing we will get to that, and he is clearly doing a good job.

We are back signing top academy prospects, and Dalot is exactly the kind of first team signing that got us our success in the 2006-11 era.

Pulp and johno repped this.
  8. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    You want us to swap SMS and Pogba?

9. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Why?

I think all the names being targeted are very reasonable.

10. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Delaney is a total clown.

His only source was Moyes.

11. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I hate what signing Willian entails but he is miles better than Gelson Martins. He is comfortably Chelsea's second best player.

12. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Swap Verratti and Pogba, and get SMS.

Verratti, Fred, SMS is a midfield even Jose can't feck up.

jeff070 repped this.
  13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I haven't posted here in months and you are still wasting time on him?

Also, have any of the older regulars returned / have we gotten any reasonable new blood here?

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No.

15. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    Hold your horses, new blood has arrived! Hopefully you guys are done arguing like an old married couple so we can actually talk footy ;)

16. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    In response to the midfield talk, you guys seriously think verratti and Fred together are good enough defensively, specifically physically? They both are tenacious tacklers, but super small. Also, both like to get involved in the buildup, and it seems to me that they either won't be disciplined enough, or have to limit themselves in that aspect to do the defensive job. I don't love matic, but he does the job decently enough for now.. Man I hope Fosu-Mensah turns out awesome.

17. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    In terms of targets, I think the one spot everyone can agree needs to be addressed is RW(F). I personally think Jose should've played Alexis there from the get-go. He could play the position in a similar way to Sterling at City, playing further forward and being more of a finisher. This way he would get goals/assists, hopefully keeping him happy enough to forget he wasn't playing in his favored position on the left. Also, Lukaku loves pulling out right so those 2 could interchange nicely. Since Jose seems unable to tell Alexis he needs to this, who would you guys get in that spot?

18. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are you?

19. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    I'm the new guy trying to inject some fresh blood in here..? Are you the bouncer? What would you like to know?

20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Ignore him. He's the former new guy.

Welcome.

johno and cr7torossi repped this.
  21. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just a musical reference.....no worries. Welcome aboard..

[​IMG]

LGRod repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #997 Ashur, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    It's pretty much the consensus that if we played Sanchez right, a lot of problems would be solved for us. We wouldn't have the gaping hole we currently have when Mata or Lingard are deployed out there. Our attack would be far more balanced and harder to defend against and more importantly, it would solve the Martial conundrum.
    Short of that, the options are just very limited. I'd take a shot on Bale for the right price, but he looks poised to stay with Real for the time being. Leon Bailey and Guedes are the next best option in terms of upside, Justin Kluivert would have been another one but he's with Roma now. Willian is not the top choice, but he'd be adequate for the job, albeit on a short term basis. Maybe someone will be revealed at the WC, who knows but that seems to be pretty hopeful, more than anything else.
    Still hoping against hope that Mourinho will see the light though and go with Sanchez and Martial as our wide options. Leaves the cash available for other positions of need and in the process, keeps a top, young talent in Martial at the club.

23. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    Seems about right, and I agree Leon Bailey looks an excellent buy from his youtube vids, probably what I'd do too at this point. I also like Ryan Sessegnon, though I think he's committed to Fulham next season. Kluivert, while promising, also plays on the left, so that seemed logical only if martial left. Willian? He'd probably cost over 40M, seems like a waste of money to me. Not that he's no good, but imo united should focus on more youth, especially if you're gonna pay big bucks for a player..

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going young would be the preferred solution but if that is not in the cards somehow, then Willian is as good an available option there is.
    If we paid 40mil for at least 2 solid seasons from him while one of our young players like Chong or Gribbin develop behind him and eventually succeed him, I'd be all for it personally.
    Willian is a solid player who on top of providing a genuine presence on the right flank (something we've missed for some time now), from a production standpoint, he'd easily procure double digits in both goals and especially assists. That's what we need statistically from that spot...

25. daharmattan

daharmattan New Member

Ajax
    Jun 16, 2018
    You do touch on what I think is the big question, and possible problem at united, will Jose see the light again? He seems very jaded, and has long lost the sparkle in his eye. Additionally, when he arrived in the prem he tactically was forward thinking with the 4-2-3-1, which essentially killed the 4-4-2, but the game has evolved beyond that, but it seems Jose hasn't. In particular, he doesn't seem to have a plan to attack, and the tactics are too reactionary to the opponent.
    That being said, what I felt he was always good at was building a winning team. Look at Real, he didn't win all the stuff they're winning now, but he did set the stage by showing Barca wasn't invincible, get Varane and Modric among others. But at Chelsea round 2, we can see his desire to win right now cost Chelsea their long term plan. (Which was a genius plan btw: buy all the best youth everywhere, sell the second tier for profit and incorporate the best in the first team). As we all know with hindsight, allowing Jose to do that was really dumb, and def not worth the title he won them. I hope united don't make the same mistake chasing a title, allowing the team to become too old. I mean, rumors of chasing Mandzukic/Arnautovic as a back up?? What happened to Martial and Rashford?