Rumor: It just does not stop... - The Summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Ashur, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    As previously mentioned, transfer talk and rumors are more than a 5-6mo thing. Obviously it gets busier and more prevalent from April-May until September and November until February, but it does not mean that the talk and rumors stop in between...

2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    This is a much better thread name than the last one...

benni... and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United are monitoring the Alderweireld situation.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfer-news-alderweireld-14278519

CB is not the highest priority so far as I'm concerned, except for a top shelf, potentially dominant one. Mentioned previously the likes of Koulibaly from Napoli or Milan Skriniar from Inter who might be attainable.
    But Alderweireld, if there was any chance of getting him, would be a major acquisition: the best CB by far in the Prem in recent years and just one of the best in the game overall. Could make for a fearsome and rock solid combo with Bailly.

4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Transfer windows are finite though - should say Summer 2018 somewhere in title and get closed shortly after the window closes.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wonder how @Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 will react to this blatant disregard for his mod power. Ruud closes the transfer thread so Ashur just opens a new one. Such disrespect.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Ashur, Feb 13, 2018
    Just like the OTT, the transfer thread can be renewed and updated every once in a while (at the end of the winter and summer windows for instance).
    But, as previously mentioned, the rumors simply don't stop (or are mere tabloid fodder) because we're not actively in a transfer window.
    And especially for a club like ours, with several positions in a state of flux and sure to keep on making big moves, the links to potential targets are ongoing. And we should have a place to all about them, if we want to...

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But they are rumours in relation to the upcoming summer 2018 transfer window.

Otherwise you might as well call it the “ashur waffling about players I like” thread ;)

LA. MAN UNITED, johno and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    As soon as the winter window closes, all rumours are relating to the upcoming summer window. And then it flips. If we get linked to players now, or we all want to talk about signings we need, where should it go? A match thread? An unrelated player thread? I guess the OTT makes a little sense since they’re players at other teams.

I always thought the idea was to call a transfer thread a summer/winter thread just if it happens to be apposite at the time, but not to restrict threads to one or the other.

benni... repped this.
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the sources, I have a tough time believing at this juncture that we'd really entertain the thought of selling Herrera this summer (reportedly if the club's £30mil value is met).
    However, if that's the case, I guess that all but guarantees that we'll get the 2 CMs we've been calling for. And in truth, he's obviously taken a step backwards in terms of Jose's plans this season.
    So while it would hurt to lose him, if it gets us top of the line targets in midfield, then I guess it would make it easier to swallow I guess...

Sorry, not that sorry though, for the "waffling" there @Sofabloke, but that's pretty much the point of such a tread. Fall, winter, spring and summer, players incoming/leaving or mere interest or need in others is a year round/365 business. And as such, there always seems to be something to talk about...

DMaster and United 16 repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Spoken like a true muppet

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine what that makes you then...

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good one.

My god you are a delicate little flower aren't you?

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, did you want a little smiley face or a wink at the end of it to make you feel better? Alrighty then...

;) You happy???

14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @Ashur - only joking dude!

Its just if you search back, the history on this board is that they are usually called summer or winter transfer thread which gives them a built-in lifespan and we can shutdown in anger when our hopes are dashed at the end of the window.

Of course you may have done things differently over at onenil ;)

15. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the transfer threads and they are among my favorites but I don't think we need 12 months of them. They are the ice cream of the forum, tasty but mostly worthless and they are largely based on rumor and opinion.

16. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We need links / rumor for a new manager :sneaky:

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Ashur, Feb 13, 2018
    This thread is really like any other though, in the sense that it does not necessarily need to be active at all times. As Naboo pointed out, it is a useful (and necessary) outlet for any type of discussion or opinion on anything transfer related (which we don't currently have except roughly a month before a window opens).
    And as far as putting any lifespan on it, we simply can do the same thing we do for the other team threads. Starting a new one after the winter and summer window shuts is perfectly acceptable.
    In all the team boards of consequence on BS, there is an ongoing thread regarding transfer related matters (from discussions to rumors and everything in between) that members have access to, if needed. There's no reason we can't have one here as well.

United 16 repped this.
  18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    The main course is already over. We're just waiting for someone to come take the plates away.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @Ashur We just need two a year as usual - winter transfer thread and summer transfer thread.

No reason that when one is closed at the end of the window the other opens.

You just seem to have an issue renaming this thread to include the word "summer" as has been the convention on this board ;)

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're so hung up on the name, fine, rename it. I really don't care about that and I can't do so myself at this juncture.
    I simply want a transfer thread available to us apart from the usual summer/winter transfer thread guidelines of the past. Is that clear enough for you?

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Think I'll leave it there :)

Apparently Alderweireld is on 50kpw and reportedly owing to his contract will either be available for free in summer 2019 or if Spurs extend his current contract for a year his release clause of £25M becomes active.

Unless he signs a new contract, if free or @25M next year we should make Spurs an offer this summer.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You can't always get what you want.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point of fact, this thread is reflecting that I'm getting exactly what I want. As I just said, I really could care less whether "summer" is added to the title or not. I just can't do anything about it. That's all...

DMaster repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Ashur, Feb 13, 2018
    Alderweireld's current salary with Spurs (plus the fact that his current contract is coming to an end) is exactly why it would make perfect sense for United to make an approach for him.
    Ultimately, he may be happy at Spurs and he could be happy with a solid salary bump, but we know United can easily beat whatever they'll offer him. It's worth the try, if nothing else.

25. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States