It aint getting any easier

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
  2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not worried at all about him taking the reins of Mexico. I have faith in the USA guys to sit Mexico down AGAIN! Smells like desperation from Mexico City.

3. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. As long as the US takes care of its end of things, we'll be alright.

4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I'm just saying, if you think Mexico will ever be a walk in the park, think again. With Sampson in Costa Rica, and possibly Scolari in Mexico, the US has a tough road to Germany. Not an impossible one, nor one that I don't think they'll traverse, but it is a tough one.

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure that Mexico will never be a walk in teh park for anyone.

6. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know. I'm thinking that with Sampson in Costa Rica the road is much easier than it could be.

7. Rubios

Rubios Red Card

Dec 28, 1999
    wager...

i will bet someone premium membership that scolari is not mexico's coach when qualifying starts...

8. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True that Mexico is always an anxious game. Arena seems good about getting the team to focus on itself for the most part. Scolari or not, Mexico is going to be keen to try and beat us now more than ever.

9. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    As we saw with Mexico in the first half of the qualifying cycle, a bad coach can REALLY put you behind the eight ball -- even with a talented pool, and Mexico, we must understand, is QUITE talented.

I thought Scolari (along with Hiddink and Arena) was one of the top coaches at the WC. Shrewd in his personnel evaluations, flexible in his tactical decision making, able to get the superstars to take on specific and somewhat circumscribed roles, and certainly not intimidated by the press and public outcries. Clearly, if you can deal with the media 'heat' in Brazil, you can deal with it ANYWHERE.

Should he be hired, he would be a formidable opponent.

As far a Sampson is concerned, there is no doubt he is a great administrator, organizer, and long-range planner. He is a very hard worker, and spends a lot of time on preparation issues. These qualities have been sorely lacking in our Latin American foes. The question is, is he tactically sophisticated enough, and can he handle the psychological/motivational side of the ledger -- aspects where he was sorely lacking in '98?

Moreover, you KNOW he's itching to revive his reputation -- so never underestimate an opponent who will be intensely motivated to achieve success.

So, on balance, things have gotten harder for us, no question, but it's not necessarily insurmountable.

10. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scolari wanted to go to Europe, I thought he said.

Mexico sure isn't Europe.

11. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Rumor has it that Scolari is going to be a scout for Arsenal in Brazil. It seems to me that he'd have a tough time watching Brazilians in Mexico.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I'd argue against it being North America.

13. Rubios

Rubios Red Card

Dec 28, 1999
    kaiser

but then again, we are NOT discussing geography, are we?

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be great for the region if he would become coach of Mexico, however, it would certainly make things more difficult, assuming he would still be around come qualifying.

Who was the last Mexican coach to stay on the job 4 years?

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably whoever preceded Bora-- and in that, whoever had the job during the 1994 World Cup. Name escapes me, however, in my late-night haze here...

I'm also willing to bet, purely on a hunch, that Scolari will take himself out of the running at some point. Between the two names listed, I think Bianchi might be the one more likely. But even still, I think they'll wind up with a Mexican coach in the end-- recalling back in the early '90s and Menotti's ill-fated run as Mexico's coach, the natives not taking too well to him in the end...

Cheers,
    William

16. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just makes you a fool then.

17. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    WTF is anyone scared of Scolari for? Because his team won the world cup?

He mismanaged that team almost out of the WC in qualification and with that team he didn't coach anyone. I could have coached that team:

"Hey, give it ronaldo. And he's not open give to rivaldo. And if they're not open, send it over to that other guy who's effing awesome as well."

18. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    carlos alberto pareira won a wc with brazil and came to the metrostars......

my story ends there

19. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I dunno about this...basically he could hardly get the team together in qualifying to do the necessary preparation. Guys flying in the night before, stuff like that. I think the CBF is really the inept mismanager, but a discussion there would require a novel to do it justice.

Once he HAD the team for an extended period of time, he did very good things with it -- and not just win the cup, by the way.

So I wouldn't be so dismissive.

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was the guy who saved their quaification. It was the 7 (sarcasm) coaches they had before him who almost blew it.

21. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I'll be happy with Bruce ARENA against any coach in the World.

btw, when did Scolari take over? I thought that he was hired at the beginning of qualification.

Karl, all I was really saying was taking Brazil to the WC final does not make you a great coach. Managing all those stars a la Phil Jackson is a feat in itself but I'd like to see how they do with average players.

22. paulo

paulo Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Atlanta
    Guatemala will also be tough. Freddy Garcia and el Pescadito bring it. Don't jinx the game by flaming me.

23. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Like in all sports don't guys like Luiz Felipe Scolari and Carlos Bianchi use these instances to get the best deal they can at the place they really want to be

Didnt Arena do some of this to a lesser extent too

24. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    IMO, coaching did not cause Mexico's struggles.

As we saw at the Finals, el Tri had three indispensable players: Blanco, Torrado, and Marquez. Early in the Hex, Blanco was out, Marquez was either out or playing hurt, and Torrado was still being broken in (age 21 at the time).

As US fans, we've seen our team's performance fluctuate wildly depending on which playersare available. Similarly, Mexico was not very good without its stars.

Even after Aguirre replaced Meza, Mexico was losing 1-0 to Jamaica at halftime. They looked dreadful, but that's when Blanco entered the game. He scored twice to salvage an unconvincing 2-1 victory. The team's recovery came down to the player, not the coach.

25. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I don't expect nor want Mexico to EVER be a walk in the park. I want Mexico to be our rival. To be a rival the games have to be competitive. And seeing how we've not once won a qualifier in the Azteca we have little room to feel overconfident anyway.