'It’s only working for the white kids': American soccer's diversity problem

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see taking a shot at it after college. Taking a few years to chase the dream is fine, when you have your degree. But, it would be a hard sell for me as a parent to have my kid pick a minor league career over a college scholarship. I imagine the calculus would be similar for low-income parents as well. Baseball is the weird outlier in American sports, where only a small percentage of players have a college degree. Bouncing around in the minors for years, then being cut and ending up unemployed and undereducated is much more common than ending up like Bryce Harper.

Anyway, this is moot for me. My kids aren't more than average when it comes to athletics.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, it's a case-by-case basis. For one thing, if you have--or want to start--a family, the calculations change quite a bit.

3. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    This is why I would prefer a high school/college based development system over an academies based system.

mwulf67 repped this.
  4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #129 nicklaino, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Kid going to college who play baseball. If they went to a baseball school are hoping to do well enough so they are offered a major league contract after their Sophmore year. There not finishing college if they are offered a contract before.

If they try out for the minor leagues baseball chances are they will never see the major leagues.

I knew a guy who spent 16 years in the minor leagues. He knew everything their was to know about baseball. He coached a club team here. But he never went for the great player. Anyone who wanted to play for the Brooklyn D's he took. He lost a lot of his better players to competitive clubs. He did not care he just want to produce good players.

I asked him what is the most important thing for a baseball coach. He said a big van. :)

Len and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, give it a shot. One of my law school classmates played minor league baseball for two or three years after college. I think he even deferred his law school admission by a year to give himself one more season to try to move up the ladder. He has no regrets about that.

As for soccer, I mentioned this in response to the "Abolish the Draft" thread in MLS: YBTD about the draft supposedly restricting the player pool: I think the MLS draft actually increases the player pool, because many of the seniors in the draft are much more opportunistic than committed to pro soccer. Take, for example, Cameron Porter, who scored that important goal for Montreal in the CCL. He was a good college player, but not considered a top pro prospect before Montreal took a flyer on him in the draft. He also has a computer science degree from Princeton and probably wouldn't have much trouble finding a job that pays 6 figures. If he didn't get drafted, he'd probably never have tried to go pro.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    I think it's just not in the culture of poor american kids to play soccer. Too bad because if these kids worked passionately on soccer tricks instead of maybe basketball, America would produce some top level athletic attacking freaks with a lot of flair.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    If inner city kids really loved soccer and started playing, i think the scouts will come to them.

The One X and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why was pay to play implemented in the first place?

10. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    How else do you fund anything?

Money has to come from someplace to pay for fields, equipment, coaches, transportation, etc.

No sport in the US is free to play at a Youth Level. Neither is any activity like music, art, etc.

The One X repped this.
  11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's not like someone decreed it to be so. This question is so...bad...that it doesn't merit a response beyond this.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they start playing?
    Where would they start playing?
    How would they learn how to play?

13. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Plenty of "inner city" kids already play Soccer.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    True but it's clearly a roadblock to getting more talented kids playing and excelling. So you'd think it would be stopped or at least consideration of a new path.

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    1) Because it's fun.

2) In the streets/parks/vacant lots.

3) By playing the game.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...So 'coaches' could profit'...

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    damn Republicans

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are lots of fun things people don't do for all sorts of reasons.

With who? People tend to pick up the games that their friends, neighbors, older siblings, other kids in school, etc. are already playing. Who starts it?

Ever watched a HS soccer game where all the players have only played pickup soccer, without any basic tactics, positioning, etc? It's pretty dire.

19. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that still gets us back to dollars and cents. We don't have a network of local clubs with relatively stable finances that can train kids for free. Youth sports simply didn't develop in that way in this country.

Again, where does the money come from to allow kids to get training for free?

BostonRed repped this.
  20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an important question.

I'd add this--we also need to cut costs. Travel/club soccer has become ridiculously expensive, and very little of the money goes into quality coaching or training.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Tooth Fairy. Obvs.

22. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have a system of free (or almost free) player development: high school sports. But, American soccer fans seem to have an aversion to that system, for some reason.

mwulf67 and The One X repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, HS soccer is far from ideal for a lot of reasons.

I enjoyed watching my younger son play it, and I know he had a great time and made a lot of friends. But I'm not sure how much player development went on.

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    There are plenty of really good high school coaches, along with plenty of poor ones......just as there are in club soccer, certainly in North Texas.

The One X repped this.
  25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are good coaches, sure. My son's team had a great one this past year.