Istria Women's Cup 2017

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Oct 28, 2016.

1. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Afghanistan to the list of teams competing.

jnielsen, lil_one, blissett and 4 others repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they might still be a bit short in their fundraising (Coach Haley Carter's twitter suggests needing $65,000 before Jan. 15). The Afghanistan WNT's program has a GoFundMe set up, which is currently at ~$40,000 (maybe there are corporate sponsors that are not included there?). If you'd like to contribute: https://www.gofundme.com/AFFWomensFund.

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    so we have four teams confirmed. France B, Croatia, Northern Ireland & Afghanistan.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Istria Cup is changing game and will be called Adria Cup. This is due to some problems with the Croatia organisation last year and everyting will take place in Slovenia.

lil_one and gricio61 repped this.
  7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Still no announcement of who's participating.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I spoke to one of the organiser while in Spain for a u17 tri nations tournament and he said the line-up is not finalized yet. Taipei should be one of the team competing.

9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    So we might have France B, Croatia, Slovenia, Taipei, Afghanistan & Northern Ireland. Maybe two more, maybe 6 more if they have a 12 team tournament.

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As soon as he emails me the full tournament participants, I will put it here.

11. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Afghanistan will be completely out of their depth at this tournament. Croatia, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Taiwan are all similar in strength (possibly 50th-80th globally - not using FIFA rankings here, because they're not accurate), but Afghanistan is way down, possibly around 180-190.

If the Cyprus Aphrodite Cup is being held this year, this would have been a better tournament for them, with lower ranked teams from Europe competing (Malta, Cyprus, Latvia, etc. being around 100-130 globally).

Afghanistan just lost 5-1 to India and 6-0 to Bangladesh - both of these teams would be ranked lower than 100, and so we can expect that the teams in the Adria Cup should be able to score 6-10 goals against Afghanistan. Their most recent matches before this also included a 6-1 defeat to Bangladesh, a 1-0 defeat to Maldives, and a 12-0 defeat to India.

Put simply, this would be like putting India in the Algarve Cup.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #13 SiberianThunderT, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Point of order: the FIFA Women's Rankings are actually very accurate for the first 30 or so, and still quite accurate within confederations even after 50th; their only problem (as with almost any system) is they're poorly tuned to compare when teams that rarely play outside of their local pools actually play out-of-pool matches.

That said, completely agree that AFG is way out of its depth.

JanBalk repped this.
  13. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Agreed - FIFA women's ranking is OK at the top end - and is better than the men's ranking - because it uses the elo system, which is one of the better systems available.

At the bottom end though, it is as good as useless - that's why I didn't use it, as I'm not comparing any teams from the Top 30.

For example, they still rank Tanzania - who have shown consistently decent performances over the last few years - below Maldives, who have done nothing.

My "provisional" system has:
    61 Tanzania (FIFA: 116= out of 127)
    77 Kenya (FIFA: 122 out of 127)
    184 Maldives (FIFA: 116= out of 127)

There is a huge difference - Tanzania 123 places ABOVE Maldives in my ranking, and level with Maldives in FIFA's ranking. Tanzania would probably be at least 10 goals better than Maldives in a one-off match. Kenya is even lower, despite qualifying for the 2016 AFCON and thus being in the Top 8 in Africa.

Botswana at the very bottom of the FIFA ranking also makes no sense - they only lost 0-2 and 0-3 to South Africa last year - yet they are below Andorra, who has lost every FIFA-approved game they have played so far.

14. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    any update? If this is being played at the same time that the Istria Cup is played(early March), I have to believe everything has been sorted out by now.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not yet, the only information I got was some games will be played in Croatia and some in Slovenia (in Koper I believe which is next to Croatia)

16. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    #17 mcruic, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  17. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Taiwan's been confirmed, so that's likely last year's list. And it's now called the Adria Cup.

shlj repped this.
  18. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  19. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I believe Poland & Hungary are sending a team. Might be the national teams or possibly their U-23 teams. That would be the 8 teams.

20. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    just found this on their Twitter page:

[​IMG]

gricio61 repped this.
  21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    #22 toad455, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Group A is Northern Ireland, Slovenia, Slovakia & Taiwan.
    Group B is France B, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia & Hungary(U-23? B team?)

Though one thing is odd. Poland's twitter account was linked to this, yet it doesn't appear they're participating. Poland is participating in the Gold City Cup in Turkey at the same time.

22. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Hungary's team is their "B" team as their national team is now participating in the Cyprus Cup.

FULL SCHEDULE
    March 1
    GROUP A
    Northern Ireland vs. Slovakia
    Chinese Taipei vs. Slovenia

GROUP B
    France B vs. Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Hungary B vs. Croatia

March 3
    GROUP A
    Slovenia vs. Slovakia
    Chinese Taipei vs. Northern Ireland

GROUP B
    Hungary B vs. Bosnia & Herzegovina
    France B vs. Croatia

March 7
    GROUP A
    Northern Ireland vs. Slovenia
    Chinese Taipei vs. Slovakia

GROUP B
    Bosnia & Herzegovina vs. Croatia
    France B vs. Hungary B

March 9
    placement matches

23. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France B team called up are:
    GK: Munich (soy), Peyraud-Magnin (om)
    DF: Cissoko (psg), Dafeur (losc), Greboval (juv), Lorgere' (gui), Romanelli (mhsc), Saint Sans-Levacher (arras), Sissoko (asse), Torrent (mhsc).
    MF: Bilbault (juv), Bourgouin (soy), Diallo (psg), Jaurena (juv), Lavaud (asse), Le Garrec (gui), Morroni (psg), Tarrieu (ol), Thomas (mhsc).
    FW: Gauvin (mhsc), Le Bihan (mhsc), Sarr (psg).

A very interesting young and talented team selected by coach Jean-Francois "Jeff" Niemezcki, I agree with almost all players call apart a few, overall he took in consideration how girls are performing in D1F and potential... even though some names like Mateo, Leger or Chaumette are missing but overall is a very strong France B team.

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France B 0 Bosnia Herzegovina 2 !
    Slovakia 0 Northern Ireland 0 with a last minute penalty save by Northern Ireland