Israel-Palestine conflict (football implications ONLY)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    AFC calls on FIFA to urgently rule on Israel-Palestine dispute
    If the FIFA Congress in May is used to make a wider political statement against Israel then FIFA have no one but themselves to blame. They have been absolutely useless at handling this conflict.

Add to the irony that the 67th Congress in May was awarded to Bahrain because Malaysia withdrew from hosting over issuing visas to Israeli delegates.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    FIFA delay on Israeli settlement decision fuels concern
    So the PFA is meeting Team Tokyo tomorrow.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sexwale’s Israel/Palestine mediation gets ‘stormy’ as both sides dig in
    Option #3 should not even be considered. Take a decision. One way or the other.

The losing side can then take its grievances to the CAS if desired.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The latest...

Israeli fury as mood swings towards barring of teams in occupied territories

Swiss MPs call on FIFA to follow its own laws and ban Israeli clubs in Palestine

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hey Nico, try to keep THIS debate away from political comments! :ROFLMAO:

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    FIFA poised to offer Israel 6-month deal to kill off its six West Bank teams
    I would say this is fair. So far the Israeli FA has not been put on official notice. Give them six months to pull out of the West Bank and if nothing changes follow through with sanctions/suspension.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Israel-Palestine dispute boils up with FIFA Congress shootout days away

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You don't say?!

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

4 Years on, FIFA Still Deciding if it Will Follow its Own Rules

So the above is just a FIFA Council recommendation. The PFA can still insist to bring this issue before the FIFA Congress. I for one hope they do and finally force a decision.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Just watched this display of incompetence unfold on the live stream of the FIFA Congress. Basically Infantino and the FIFA Council blocked the vote with a motion out of nowhere and instead asked Congress to give authority to the Council to make a decision by March 2018. The PFA lawyer then took the floor and questioned whether the Council can do that at the last minute but Infantino brushed him aside. Congress passed the motion and Infantino said the Council will attempt to expedite a decision by October (putting blame for the delay so far on Sexwale's unfinished report).

The cowardice at FIFA is truly astounding. This could have been nipped in the bud years ago. It is such a simple decision to take. Abide by your statutes. Palestine is a FIFA member. You can not accept a member association without respecting the internationally recognized borders of the territory. Otherwise don't take them in.

If I am the PFA I am taking this straight to the CAS for arbitration.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not an expert on the CAS, but doesn't the CAS normally handle appeals of punishments that were already given rather than requests for punishments (the PFA wanting Israel suspended)? It would also be strange if Israel was suspended and their WCQ group finished with them having 5 games played (how many they have now) while the other five teams would have 9 games played.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm no expert on the CAS either but when a verdict is (purposely) delayed for years surely there is a way to force a decision. According to this the PFA could indeed be considering legal action:
    I still think FIFA may be happy if CAS takes the decision for them.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As I predicted...

Palestine FA take FIFA to CAS over ‘illegal’ congress delay in Israeli dispute
    Good. This should finally force a decision.

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Details have emerged on the upcoming Palestinian appeal to the CAS:
    http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...eaking-statutes-procedures-failing-democracy/
    So basically the PFA isn't asking CAS to take a decision on the border issue. Instead they want CAS to force FIFA to take a decision at Congressional level (not FIFA Council).

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #69 Nico Limmat, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    So guess what the FIFA Council decided to do after all these years of looking into the matter. Nothing, nada, zilch. Unbelievable.

I read somewhere else that the CAS is scheduled to rule on this in January. Infantino probably figures he can get them to do the dirty work of ruling against the Israeli FA. But I don't think that will happen. The CAS won't draw the border for FIFA. Instead I would expect a ruling that two associations can not claim the same territory with a subsequent order that FIFA has to take a decision. Since the spineless FIFA Council has already raised its hands helplessly this issue will resurface exactly where the Palestinian FA wants it. The FIFA Congress.

Put to a vote, with the member associations voting in line with their government's political view, it doesn't take a genius to figure out how that will go for the Israeli FA. Even if some put in a more neutral "abstain" vote.

At least that is my prediction. Stay tuned.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #70 Nico Limmat, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    More background...

Exclusive: FIFA ignored 100% of Sexwale report in killing off Israel-Palestine talks

Sexwale says Israel/Palestine task force did its job, but did FIFA do theirs?

So the report was ready at the last Congress. Interesting. I can't help but feel that the FIFA Council are bending over backwards for the Israeli FA because of the 2026 (US-led) CONCACAF bid. The choice to shrug and simply walk away from all this is a de facto decision favoring the Israeli FA. Had the Council wished to implement a remotely balanced decision without giving into the Palestinian demands they could have declared the territory off-limits for both associations. Instead they indirectly endorsed Israeli league play in the West Bank.

But this will backfire. Infantino will be doing the rounds in the American media with his best damage control face after the FIFA Congress weighs in with an official vote. And for the Palestinian FA it will be the ultimate political victory. Another symbolic vote that "the world" stands with Palestine when there is no security council in sight.

The FIFA "leaders" think they are avoiding politics but every delay, every avoidance of responsibility makes it worse. This could have been resolved with (relatively) little noise years ago. Instead we are headed for a widely publicized showdown.

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Looks like the CAS hearing has been held
    I can see it already. On June 13 the FIFA Congress will choose Morocco for 2026 and reprimand the Israeli FA. Prepare for angry tweets from the White House.

Infantino is going to regret not dealing with this.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    edcalvi repped this.
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010