Islanders 2011

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by Intru, Jan 6, 2011.

1. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win Saturday. I believe when we are healthy (Addlery up top, Needham and Jones on defense, Noah and Ossie avaialble) we can play with any team in CONCACAF including the Mexican teams. Unfortunately, we don't have the depth to overcome injuries and the heavy game schedule.

But that is not why I am writing. For Intru I see, one down and one to go. The Puerto Rico Football Federation has replaced Colin Clarke with a new coach from Costa Rica. With World Cup qualifyuing starting in September and the NASL not taking time off for international play, how many Islander players will be called up to the national team? And how will this affect the Islanders?

I believe PR has a good shot at advancing providing they can put their top players on the field for this round. I know that some of the Islanders are on the national team. And, I would not blame them for wanting to participate in World Cup qualifying. But has anyone in the Islanders' management talked about how this might impact the "stretch run" and the playoffs?

2. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Actually since this is WCQ the Islanders have no choice in the mater, they have to let the player go. All the NASL and MLS player have already been informed. That includes Krause, Arrieta and Boss and rumor has it that Campos will also try to cap Jason Hernandez from San Jose as well as Jeremy Hall from Portland. They also called Gonsalez from Atlanta and that kid that was in the Bolton soccer school in England. Lets see what happens.

3. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
  4. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a bit disappointing that the NASL is making the same mistake that the MLS makes. Given the thinness of rosters you would think that the NASL and MLS would take a week off for international matches. It really hinders teams and even more it takes away from the fan experience to have to watch their teams play without their best players.

5. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to the 7 Islanders selected for the PR national team pool. Good luck with WC Qualifying. I assume we will also lose Fana to the DR national team during the fall.

This will present a little bit of a dilemma for our defense with Martinez, Jones, Velez and Rivera gone. Macro and Alexi have not been able to make major contributions this year. So the big impact will be at outside fullback. Logan Emory can take one of those spots (Jones position). Finding a replacement for Martinez will be difficult. In addition, I don't think we will see the wing attack that Jones and Martinez bring to the table. Also, losing Noah's leadership and maturity during the playoff run could hurt. I assume Ly will work with Pitch and Osie in the middle.

I know every team must deal with these factors. But its ashamed to lose these guys just as we are healthy and in a rhythm.

6. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I think that is why the team is going for the bye so they don't have to play the early stage.

7. MAXS

MAXS New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team is going for first place. period.

8. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    You never know with Clarke

9. MAXS

MAXS New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when are you going to get it?!

winning is always the goal.

10. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Well you better let Clarke now about that, last night we could have easily lost by alot if Tampa didn't suck at finishing their chances. For someone who wants to win Clarke really has a very bad idea of how to set up a back four.

11. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intru, I hope you, your family and all of residents of the island made it through the hurricane ok. I know there is a lot of damage, power outages and flooding. My prayers are with eveyone in Puerto Rico. I hope the property damage is little and the loss and injury of life even less.