Isco on all time list

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Sexy Beast, Sep 2, 2017.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    When Iniesta gets fleetingly put on the same pedestal as Messi and Ronaldo then anything is possible for Isco.

Matthew Syed of The Times places literally Iniesta at the same height, which goes unchallenged by the rest of the Sky/Times/Murdoch circle.

2. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As it stands I think Isco goes below a handful others of the same year of birth. Neymar, Mane, Salah, possibly Coutinho in due time (if he continues to be a sure starter, and becomes something more than just a decoy and 'compensator'). Verratti is still possible too, especially if PSG makes the next step and Italy resurfaces with him as matured force.

Then there are also others who fall outside, like 1991 born De Bruyne.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Regarding this, I obviously knew about Len Shackleton's reputation but after @Gregoriak shared long highlights (basically full game coverage with a section missing at the end) with me of England-Germany from 1954 I'd be even a bit more convinced that his name wouldn't be out of place being added.

Not as a top 10 option (unless he was even more impressive in other games - for England at least it might not be surprising if that was his best given his limited appearances although I've read about one or two good earlier ones when I was looking into things for @msioux75 's 1950 WC fantasy game), but a player that could very feasibly be added immediately/soon when making a list for English candidates alone. Similar perhaps to how Sandro Mazzola might get added for Italy indeed if carrying on naming players.

Gregoriak repped this.
  4. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Top 3 what? Spanish midfielders playing for RM in the 2010s?

carlito86 repped this.
  5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #55 carlito86, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Ozil>di maria>modric>alonso>Kroos>isco

6. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Wow, really? Lets agree to disagree.
    Looks like Isco makes the Top 3 Spanish midfielders though. :D

7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ozil made 72 assists in 3 seasons

Only few AMs in the last 30 years can match this record

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is somewhat inflated by the number of crosses (on the break/counter) and set piece assists. ~50% were of that type

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13756/History/Mesut-Özil

He was also often sacrificed for the big matches or didn't show up in those (a concern also raised for his arsenal days). Real Madrid became more successful after he left and that wasn't purely a coincidence.

He has neither the peak (Di Maria in 2013-14, Modric 2016 and 2017) or consistency (Kroos) to be top.

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He has his deficiencies(not pressing, tracking back,a mediocre finishing record etc)

Id argue however he is the best attacking midfielder of his generation at delivering the final ball
    Simply at his prime he had few equals

Don't forget during his prime 2011/12 he was an integral player on a team that won the league by 100 points (himself recording a ridiculous amount of assists between 25-30)
    A historic team that lost the CL SF by thin margin (pen shootout)

He was widely considered as superior to xavi 11/12 and even marginally led Messi in assists which was no mean feat

Between 2008/09 and 2012/13 ozil averaged 27 assists per season
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ba...o-ronaldo-goals-assists-mesut-ozil-ballon-dor
    Do you understand how absurd that number is?
    In comparison Kevin de bruyne over the past 4 seasons(pre 18/19) averaged 21 assists per seasons

I agree as a midfield winger (with defensive duties) 13/14 di Maria was a phenomenal and now underrated peak.
    His combination of elite wing dribbling,crossing and tireless running made him for a period leading up to the 2014 world cup a top 5 player in Europe
    With Cristiano, Messi,robben and suarez

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    When playing on the counter yes, and with opponent on the backfoot.

Despite all those assists his WhoScored rating was only 7.3. Tells the story.

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #61 carlito86, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Majority of historical revisionists and armchair "experts" did not consider him a GOAT candidate in 2011

experts whose opinions actually matter in the real world did

12. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    In really open games and counter attack situations perhaps. His movement and positioning was very good too.
    But several players of his generation deliver a better final pass. He wouldn't be among the first to cross my mind if I was thinking of someone to unlock a deep defensive block.

13. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    He should leave Madrid as soon as possible.
    Maybe play under Pep would help him.

14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Answering the the OP:

5786th greatest player of all time