Is zico the greatest attacking midfielder of all time?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Sep 26, 2018.

?

Is zico the greatest attacking midfielder in football history

This poll will close on Feb 11, 2046 at 1:24 PM.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    True. I'm not sure how this method really works, I assume Maradona might be on the edge of different roles?

Most of the "similar performances" would likely be labeled as forwards.

A heatmap would be cool.

2. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #127 Tropeiro, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    PDG1978 repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Gazetta miss Michael Laudrup in that analysis - I'm not sure but he could be challenging Hassler for the top rating at that point as far as Juventus ratings go in debut season. Obviously by the end of the seasons, Platini's rating had climbed quite a bit in 82/83 for example (Vegan10's thread gives some info about these things; also for Zico's grades).

Tropeiro repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe they were consciously excluding Laudrup due to having played for Lazio in prior seasons. Maybe it's just new imports that played for Juventus before any other team that they are looking at there - I'm not sure.

5. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    In the last matches, Zico coming back from injuries and in bad form probably lost points, probably the opposite situation of Platini in 1982/1983 where he gained some momentum in the end, I guess.

PD: Cristiano Ronaldo just won a 6.67 rating in his debut season: http://pinochiaro.altervista.org/src.php?a=1&league=10&player=906
    Looks like the mediavoto is from GazzettaDelloSport: https://www.gazzetta.it/calcio/fantanews/statistiche/serie-a-2018-19/.

6. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Zico’s first season is arguably the strongest start from a foreigner in the 1980s decade and surely a nomination for top individual season in that 10 year span. But it’s inevitable to point out Ruud Krol, Falcao, Platini, Maradona and Gullit as solid challengers in that regard.

PDG1978 repped this.
  7. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
  8. Bruford

Bruford Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Tropeiro,
    Are you a flamengo supporter? I sincerely would like to know your thoughts on some controversies around Zico generation glories, especially regarding the clashes vs Atletico mineiro . Great poster @gilesvarley described It better than anyone else on his thread about Tele Santana :

"
    1. . As mentioned earlier in the thread - flamengo had won the final of the brasileiro in 1980 against atletico mineiro in controversial circumstances. Reinaldo was sent off undeservedly after scoring 2 goals for atletico and here again a year later in the copa libertadores semi final playoff he was sent off early for a tackle on zico which was maybe a booking at the very most by the standards of the era..
      The actions of the referee Jose Roberto Wright were scandalous! He then goes on to send off Éder shortly afterwards for accidently bumping into him when trying to get the ball to take a free kick !
      Telê Santana observing from the stands at the Serra dourada stadium was disgusted, he would say - " a great spectacle for Brazilian football has been ruined by a bad officiating "
      In the confusion that followed Éder's sending off, atletico protested with referee Wright and here he sent off Chicão and Palinha too !
      Atletico chairman Elias Kalil then ordered his team to leave the pitch.
      Flamengo won the game by default and went on to win the trophy.
      Rio based Flamengo as I said earlier in the thread were called ' the team of the cbf' - decisions seemed to go there way on many occasions. The referee Jose Roberto Wright apparently travelled with flamengo to this game !
      Flamengo and Atletico were two evenly matched team's apart from the fact that flamengo always seemingly had a twelth man ( the referee) on their side whenever they faced eachother..."

9. Bruford

Bruford Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Probably Reinaldo trademark black panthers celebrations did not help him. He heard from dictator Ernesto Geisel himself in WC78:' Just play football , kid , let the politics for us'. Reinaldo behavior plus the fact that Atletico had regional supporters , while flamengo had supporters around the entire country make me wonder there were some strong forces behind those scenes.

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/bra...018/06/01/deportes/1527862375_020869.amp.html

10. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
  11. Diez

Diez Member

Universitario
    Peru
    Oct 26, 2019

If we remove Maradona yes, he would be the best attacking midfielder of all time.

12. Diez

Diez Member

Universitario
    Peru
    Oct 26, 2019
    Good info.

13. UlthisThem

UlthisThem New Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Oct 15, 2021
    Each player shows himself differently throughout the games. But suppose he achieved a reputation for being the best. In that case, even the stupidest mistakes will be forgiven until the end of centuries. But football is a very traumatic sport. It isn't surprising that many team members take steroids and particular substances that help them be toned and work like machines. I also became interested in the drugs like rats.army and even found them on the free market online. It really sounds very tempting, but at the same time, you need to be well versed in what you can take and in what doses to avoid a fatal mistake.