Is WWSM 08 worth it?

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by The_ChelseaSupporter, Jan 13, 2008.

1. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a diehard FIFA player, but I realise that I want more. I heard about WWSM 08 and was wondering how it compares to FIFA and why FIFA is much more popular. Should I buy it?

2. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you idiot, you shouldn't buy it. It may have loads of features that seem cool but the game doesn't have horrible graphics, it has no graphics! Don't waste your money, son!

3. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I hope that first response was a joke ("no you idiot"???). It all depends on what you're looking for. As for me, WWSM is so much better than FIFA it's not even funny. As for graphics, it consists of 23 circles (two teams plus the ref) running around a field, but the game more than makes up for that with an incredible amount of detail.

FIFA is more popular for two reasons - one is that it has a ton of license agreements which not only attracts buyers but also allows it to be sold in many more places (I think the only way you can buy WWSM in the U.S. is online - not the best way to get the word out), the other is that people are impressed by the graphics and buy it for that reason.

I can't speak for other people, but personally I can't get enough of WWSM.

4. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about worrying you.
    I just responded to myself to let people know that I've made up my mind. I did a bit of research first though. This game is not for me, but I respect people who like it.

5. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007

You might want to check out FIFA Manager 08 if you haven't already. It's kinda a game between FIFA 08 manager mode and WWSM 08. It has a 3D match engine, so the game are played with the FIFA match engine with real players instead of 2D circles. It's not as detailed as WWSM 08 and it does have some quirks, but it might be what you're looking for. You can't buy it in the US, but you can order it from stores in the UK.

http://www.fm08.de/en

6. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks good from what I've seen.
    I'll look a little more into it. Maybe a buy for me.

7. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Football manager is for true fans who really want to get into a managing style of game. It lets you control everything like a real manager and it is a million times better than fifa IMO. FIFA is just so fake and toooo easy to beat the AI.

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends what you want. Do you want to control little people running around on the computer screen or do you want to feel like you're running a club? If you want the later, WWSM/FM 08 is the best game out there.

I've been highly addicted since 1998's version. I get every new update and each is better then the last.

9. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I should at least try WWSM 08. I've been reading a bit more about it and it might be worth a try. I was just horrified by the 'no control over the game' aspect at first.

10. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007

Chelsea, here's the deal:

Level 1: If you want arcade play with a bit of managing (basically during the transfer windows), then the FIFA 08 series is for you.

Level 2: If you want to go a little more in depth and detail as a manager/director of operations/club chairman (transfers, player relations, build stadiums/club grounds, merchandise, etc.), but like a little more graphical flash and also want to play with FIFA 08-like 3D representations of your club, then FIFA Manager 08 is for you. You can also take control of a single player during a match and even create a single player career.

Level 3: If you want hardcore, incredible detail and complexity with the ultimate feel of controlling every minute aspect of a club at more of a manager level, but with 2D AI circles representing your players, then WWSM/FM 08 is for you.

Try both demos and you'll find out in a short time which fits your needs. I have both full versions, and I like both, but FIFA Manager best fits in with my limited free time and the things I like to see.

11. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I've gotten sick of all of my games, so I've ordered WWSM 08. I'll rep everyone who's posted on this thread prior to this post if I like it. I really hope its good and I don't get too addicted lol.

12. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    When it starts giving you addictedness ratings like "time to change your underwear" and more than that, then you know you are addicted like the rest of us.

13. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007

Five hours has never gone by so quickly... :)

14. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah it usually takes almost an hour to set up training, coaches, scouts, players status, contracts, shortlists etc before i start moving through the days.

15. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm definitely hooked.

You also know you're addicted when you not sure if you can't figure out if the standings/table in your mind are from real life or from the game. :eek:

16. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    repped, like the summary thanks :)

Would love all that combined into 1 game (aka FIFA Fusion a while back + WWSM/FM)

17. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm downloading the demo now. It's taking forever, though.

I can't wait till I get the game now the more I read about it the more I think I'll like it. My FIFA disc just stopped working after only three months of ownership. Hopefully WSM 08 is higher quality than that. :eek:

18. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WWSM/FM series is awesome. I buy every year's version. I love sim games (Out of the Park Baseball was also a big favorite of mine, before they merged into SI Games, which incidentally also puts out WWSM/FM) and love the detail of this game. I love building my own tactics - and thinking about how to succeed in WWSM I think also helps you educate yourself about the finer points of real-life tactical analysis too.

19. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great to hear. I'm not going to totally trash FIFA and endorse WWSM before I've even played a game of the latter, but FIFA just gets mindless after you do the same thing over and over again. WWSM sounds a lot better as long as you don't do an MLS team. ;)

20. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I purchase all three games every year and one falls always off the playlist, usually FIFA Manager. This year it's WWSM that has fallen out of rotation.

It's not that I found anything wrong with WWSM - I actually think it's very good, especially for fans of MLS - but it's just a little too "permanent" for my tastes. There's no San Jose Earthquakes starting play in 2008 and there's no Seattle coming on-board in 2009. I'm sure there are licensing issues but it would have "had me at hello" if they could have figured out how to code league expansion and the corresponding draft. And there is no playable USL, even though all the teams and most of the players exist in the game db.

With FIFA Manager 08 I'm having a ball playing a "fantasy" version of MLS/USL that I've taken the time construct with the editor. MLS is now 18 teams large as I added San Jose[14], Seattle[15], St. Louis[16], Philadelphia[17] and a second team in New York City[18] called the Cosmos. USL1 and USL2 are now 16-team leagues after I reinstated Miami Fusion and Tampa Bay Mutiny along with some fictional clubs in other possible MLS expansion candidate cities like Las Vegas, Detroit and Milwaukee.

The team I manage is the re-consituted Chicago Sting and I've taken them to MLS from USLD2 in 2 seasons with a collection of loans of MLS-fringe players like Mike Magee, David Arvizu, Nick Noble and Bobby Burling.

Other fun stuff you get to do is design/build a stadium, build youth camps and run 4 levels of youth teams. If FIFA 08 is "arcade" and WWSM 2008 is "manager", then I would describe FIFA Manager as "manager/rpg".

FIFAMan does have it's share of idiosyncracies (calendar) and bugs, especially for the non-UEFA regions, but if you have no problem suspending your disbelief it may be a game you want to check out sometime.

21. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What are the main differences between WWSM 08 and 07? Because last year I got hooked on 07 and was really addicted for a while until I lost interest. Now I think I may want to get 08.

22. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I own both WWSM 2007 and 2008 and, to be honest, 2008 has annoyed me so much I have decided to go backwards and have started playing the 2007 version again (fully patched to the 7.0.2 version), so I completely understand where Der Stich is coming from. For me, there are way too many shots (same number of goals, so the shots-to-goals ratio is out of whack in 2008) and you can get fired way too easily on the 2008 version (it's beyond challenging, it's laughable how you can win the Champions League and the FA Cup, but the board is very distressed with your Third Round exit in the Carling Cup). They are other issues, as well, but those are the main two that literally caused me to stop playing the 2008 version.

With that said, personally I would much rather play WWSM 2007 than new versions of any of the other games out there. (I have owned FIFA and FIFA Manager at different times over the last several years)

23. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007

I bought WWSM 08 when it came out and played it up until I received FIFAM 08 from the UK. I played FIFAM 08 only after that, mostly due to the 3D gameplay -- not the engine, which has its quirks, but the ability to see your players on the field as you would in real life.

Recently I fired up WWSM again to see if maybe I was missing something that I didn't see before in regard to my satisfaction from it. I watched a 2D match and realized that it was all in that aspect.

When I see my 2D striker circle in WWSM score a goal from service on the wing, how do I know how he scored the goal? Was it straight off the volley? Did he settle it quickly then take the shot? Or did the ball deflect off his leg and he not even mean to do it? Or if a midfielder moves the ball past a defender, did he try to blow by with speed or use a stepover or other slick move to freeze him?

With WWSM it's hard to tell. With FIFAM I see exactly what that player did to accomplish those tasks, and I can better judge how that player is performing with the 3D mode much better than the 2D in WWSM. When I see the player ratings at half, I know exactly why the rating was scored that way based on what I could see on the field. And from that I can make better tactical decisions on personnel and placement.

24. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Equus is right in that the 3D engine of FIFAMan does enhance the managing experience but, like I stated before, there are idiosyncrasies you will need to accept otherwise gameplay can be very frustrating. For every wonderful pass or touch made by your little 3D men there will be a entirely alternate unresponsiveness in positioning and exasperating passing decisions to behold.

If you primarily play with UEFA teams from the major leagues of England, Germany, Spain, France and Italy the game is fairly deep out of the box. If your interests lie in any of the other regions you will have to do some tweaking to approach anything resembling realism. For example, the game runs solely on a July-June calendar forcing MLS fans to a split opening/closing style league with a winter break. "MLS rules" is where WWSM really shines in comparison with FIFAMan. WWSM features the superdraft, supp. draft, intl player limits (which are now out of date), GenAdidas designees, Designated Players, etc. FIFAMan does have a nice editor and the ability to add team specific art to customize the game to your preferences.

25. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Yes, if you purchase FIFAMan and play it right out of the box, you'll be frustrated by a lot of the play from your team. They will run away from attackers at times, shoot horrific shots not even close to being on target, throw-ins to teammates will get headed right back out of touch, corner kicks that go out of bounds before getting into the penalty area, etc.

But there are two official updates and many good user-created 3D gameplay patch files that will help eliminate many of those issues.