is this really a server problem ?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by NoClue, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoClue

NoClue New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    hello.
    since my first visit to bigsoccer.com, i kept coming back. but one thing really bothers me and that's the server issue. I mean honestly is this really server problem or a way to force us to sign up for membership packages?
    as far as i can see this site is not that big to face such problems.
    as a user i find this frustrating. to be honest, i would not sign up for the service, cause i think I'm being forced to do it.
    you see as a member I'll do my best to help others, answer question or at least say thanks for what I'm getting, but when you type for 20 minutes then you see a server problem message and whole thing is gone. it even makes me not to bother myself to send invitation to my friends to join this forum.
    anyway, I don't know. maybe it really is the server problem.

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They claim it is. Not sure if they've been having specific problems of late, however at its busiest times Bigsoccer has over 1,000 people logged on at any given time. The most ever was 1,445. That might put a strain on the system I'm quessing. The number of actual members on these boards is probably around 30,000. With 49,000 registered 'members' technically.

3. NoClue

NoClue New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    what you say could be true.
    but again i'm not sure about that. i can give you a link to a forum which has over 100,000 registered member. they are even using same board application as we do here. but i never had such problem with their forum. let's just hope what you are saying is true.

4. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

Thats pathetic.

According to Ranking.com's list of most visited soccer web sites

Persianfootball.com is the 3rd highest visited site after Bigsoccer! which is #2 and they are never busy.

You say bigsoccer gets messed up when 1000 members are online? if ture thats sad. During IRan's WCQ and AC matches irankicks.com and persianfootball.com each had above 10,000! (thats another zero) members online at the same time and the forums were working fine.

P.S No matter how much you try to trick me into it or beg me I WILL NEVER BECOME A BIGSOCCER PRIMUM MEMBER :)

I mean come on paying to post on a forum when you can post for free? and don't give me that im rich so i can do what i want crap, im probably richer than 90% of the posters here and even if i was'nt wealthy and it only costed a penny i still wouldn't pay unless the admin get down on his knees and this time apologizes not the other thing :) *makes sucking noises*

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  6. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

yup thats exatcly what im talking about. The stats I provided were the ones up to January 28 2004 where bigsoccer was 2nd, looks like people finding about my presence on these forums has doubled their number ;) and persianfootball has dropped a few spots due to me leaving their sites and possibly the many other iranian football forums in english that have formed over the past months i.e irangoals and persianway...

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Complete rubbish, one would have to be an idiot to believe it's because the server is being overloaded. I am part of a Mercedes forum and I don't experience these sort of problems.

It's a good ploy to lure users to sign up for membership, but keeping them is another issue which obviously hasn't been thought about a great deal.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So some of you are positing that the Administrators of BigSoccer are sitting in a damp basement in New York plotting ways to sabotage thier own servers so that some people have trouble logging on.

This makes some kind of sense to you? Really?

I was around here in 2003 and early 2004 when the BS servers would simply crumple under the load and go down for as much as a week. Barely a week went by without a serious outage.

Was that all part of the same nefarious scheme? They were simply setting us up for their long range plot?

The "program" used on this board has nothing to do with it.

Hardware is the key here, and hardware costs big money. Get a clue.

Look, if you don't want to pay to join then don't. Nobody is forcing you, twisting your arm or coming to kill your cat.

Like many, many paying members, I joined because I like to pay my own way. I'm on here a lot and feel like I owe it. I'm not saying anybody else is a freeloader, but I myself like to pay for what I use.

If you don't feel the same, great. Then don't pay. But for God's sake quit whining.

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me - I meant to say 2001 and 2002.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was gonna say...

11. NoClue

NoClue New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    take it easy dude. don’t try to fire things up. ok?

yes it does.

that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. that WAS server issue. that could happen to any website. but going down for few seconds? hell no.

actually it does. they've modified the application to behave like this. the board application used for this website is called Vbulletin. and the hacks for it are all over the net.

are you kidding me? or maybe you think I don’t know the prices. for your information you can get a kick ass dedicated server (a HUGE one) for as little as $89 per month. do you think that’s too much? with all of these ads on the site, and online shop and membership fees, is this a big money to pay every month? I don't think so.

thanks but I didn't asked for your opinion. yes they are forcing me to join.

I don't think I owe anything to this site. first of all this is a forum. there is no such thing as SERVICE in here.

what does that suppose to mean?

if you are not happy, you are more than welcome to ignore this topic.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    No one is disputing the fact whether it is right or wrong to pay, the owners of this website have made the rule that if you pay you get no server issues, avatar, sig and other small benefits. Heck I paid because I can, but what I do disagree with is, is the pretense in which one is enticed to join because I do not believe the server issues are as bad as it is made out to be.

13. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It is no pretense. We upgraded the farm and got a defunctive server in the mix which made things worse. So we had to remove it. We are no reevaluating how to reupgrade the server farm.

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys need to go get yourselves some tinfoil hats. I think the Gamma Rays from the Mothership are beginning to affect your thought patterns.

"It's all a plot - a PLOT I tell you. They're out to get that 14 bucks I've been saving for my Mom's electrolysis payment" is the sort of thing I used to hear at the 72 hour lockdown.

15. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    good. Then start your own soccer board and run thisone into the ground.. The world is your oyster. :rolleyes:

keeping it up and running so you can piss and moan is a service..

Besides. run the quick math... divide the # of days per year vs how many times you will visit the site.. obviously, mileage varies, but if you come here a few times a week, it comes out to a few cents a day....

my point is, it is next to nothing...

16. NoClue

NoClue New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    dude what are you so mad at? did i say your ... is a b***ch or something?
    take it easy. don't try to be cool by righting stuffs that has nothing to do with the subject of this topic. drink a glass of water and move on. what you just said has nothing to do with what i asked at the first place. you are commenting on my reply i posted on someone else's reply. lol. why do you get yourself involved ? [​IMG]

17. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    huh?

I prefer scotch, to deal with posters like you, ;) thanks..

you were bitching about the servers.... THAT falls under "pissing and moaning" whitch warrants a response under the circumstances.

look, if you stick around for awhile, you find that the moderators do a pretty good job overall, and you will also find that people bitch a lot about small things and petty issues that mean very little. People love to complain and many of those who do complain are those who are the last to fork over a few pennies a week to keep the damn site running...

maybe I got the wrong impression, if so I take it back....

18. NoClue

NoClue New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    apology accepted.
    listen dude. for your information, I'm a member of tons of other community
    and some of them I'm paying for it such as gamespot.com or newzbin. I'm spending about $35 a month on donation to torrent websites and i don't mind to help them. it's not about paying or not. after all spending $20 it's not going to make me poor.so i don't mind to pay it. BUT, there is a difference between paying or being forced to pay. and i felt like i've been forced. as admin said, that is a server issue. so i guess I'll wait to see what is going to happen.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    bostonsoccermdl and Bill Archer, giving virtual head to Huss isn't going to get you moderator status so why don't you quit your sarcastic remarks.

It's a simple question and warrents a simple answer.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chances of me becoming a Moderator are roughly the same as the chances of Vladimir Putin being elected President of the Ukraine.

21. DutchOven

DutchOven Red Card

Nov 16, 2004
    A) There is a Vbulletin hack to not allow user access, as this.
    B) If it was a server capacity issue: the server is being run off a pentium 2, 1993 server, because when the site's been jammed, i notice often less than 100 people using the site. This is not a possibility in the real world.
    C) If it were a server stability issue, you wouldn't be "unbusy" in 2-3 minutes. The site would crash-and as business owners, you would figure out within several years' time to move your servers to somewhere where more than 100 people can use the site at once.

D) Mr. Owner, for $400 a month, I can guarantee you 99.98 uptime, no busy signals ever, up to 200,000 SIMULTANEOUS users online at once. If you don't use me, at least get a rackspace managed server or something, as if it's your tech guys being incompetent, you can pay a little more for never even having to think about a server--just concentrate on running a good soccer site instead of how to frustrate your users.

Once the fake busy signals stop, I will buy Premium membership.

May I suggest you do other things for non-paying posters? Give them no privileges--no looking at rep page, posts limited to certain # of words, no access to user CP.

Instead of punishing users, you should make things attractive to users. Have a referral system--get 5 paying memberships, your membership is free, or even 20 non-paying accounts (as out of 20, you'll get 4-5 who end up paying). Basically, you should have a way for students or such to earn a free membership (though again, it wouldn't be free, they would earn it by getting new users).
    Have certain contest run throughout the year FOR ONLY paying members (such as, "win our christmas lotto, get a year free of BS").

Basically, entice those posters who are addicted, but haven't paid. More flies with honey.

22. manc_sean

manc_sean Red Card

Aug 27, 2004
    Manchester
    It's funny how the server is never busy when you click on 'the more information' option to see the payment options.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully disagree with this statement as I work for a major cell phone company here in the US and we experience the exact same issues that BS does in relation to the website.

But, I would say that the issue is a combination of the server and the programming.

24. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    The busy signal is what made me pay. :(

25. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There is no hack in place. There is no scam. You don't have to believe the truth if you don't want to. We have server issues.

To ther person above who believes they can accomplish this with a $400 solution, you do not know the size of our traffic nor what you are talking about.

As said earlier, we are rebuilding the server farm for a relaunch in January with new improved hardware.