Is the USWNT good enough?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by babranski, Apr 7, 2015.

?

The USWNT ...

1. should win the World Cup

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. will be lucky to win the World Cup, but should at least win a medal.

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  3. will be lucky to win a medal at the World Cup, but should at least get out of group stage.

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  4. will be lucky to get out of the group stage.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. I'm not sure/too early to tell.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A poll to test my own bias confirmation. My impression coming into recent debates is the vast majority of people on this forum believe as I do that the US is not playing well and will have a very underwhelming performance this Summer.

2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the USA is good enough to win but probably won't. But I'll be rooting hard regardless of results.

3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    In a knock out tourney, you're always lucky if you win. US and Germany each probably have a 33 percent chance of winning with a 33 percent chance that the winner will be somebody else.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think the US has the talent to win the WC and I wouldnt be shocked if they won or if they went out in the quarter finals. I dont see any team as a prohibitive favorite.

EbaJones repped this.
  5. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be shocked, but I put that they'd get out of group stage. Anything else? Not sure.

6. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any team would be lucky to win the world cup, because even the biggest favorites have a probability that is way smaller than 50% to win the whole thing.

7. Silver Frost

Silver Frost Member

Dec 17, 2014
    IMO, we get to the finals easily enough, and have a good chance at winning it all, but I wouldn't guarantee a result either way. Whoever we play will have been through the wringer, and will be prepared for us. So many variables at play. Winning is not inevitable, and I must prepare for it going either way.

EbaJones repped this.
  8. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, the results and responses show people are slightly more optimistic than myself.

I've never been more torn as a fan. On the one hand, I do want to see the USWNT succeed and win a World Cup. On the other hand I don't want to see the tactics of Jill Ellis, or the behavior over the past year of the USSF and a few elitist players, rewarded. Both would set a dangerous precedent that could possibly hold back Women's Soccer not just in the United States, but in the world as a whole.

The game needs to move away from "bigger, stronger, faster" and move towards a more intelligent and skilled style of football. I don't really see that happening if the USWNT wins this year.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think they will move away from "US style" regardless of the result this year. What I see as the baggage of a US win r four more years of Jill Ellis and no revamped roster until after the Olympics. That said, Id rather win and live with Ellis than lose in the hopes of getting rid of her.

Namdynamo repped this.
  10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope your right, and to stay with that optimism, I'd like to think that Ellis still has a chance to become a more sophisticated coach with the right people (that she actually listens to) around her. I refuse to believe the tactics and style we see today is because of advice from Tony G. That just isn't him.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I read a quote from some poster, not sure if it was here, that really captured it for me...Ellis is always coaching the last game not the game she is in. I do think Gustavsson has an impact especially on the defensive side. He was the big champion of Klingenberg and may have led the push for Johnston as well.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The one thing I wonder about is whether some retirements before the Olympics are more or less likely if we win the WWC. If we win the WWC, players could retire in a blaze of glory. If they wait until after the Olympics and we don't win them, maybe not such a great blaze.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Exactly..retiring off a WC win is a soccer players dream. I would be more worried that USSoccer would try and keep the winning team together for Rio more than the older players wouldnt want to go out on that note.

14. Reallyoldnorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Last chance for the old guard to banish forever the shadow cast by the 99ers. It really has been nothing more than that since Tom S. arrived. And quickly departed.

Can the vets, with a small dose of youth, win the WC? In a word, no. I don't think the midfield can handle a good passing, good possession team. I doubt our midfield will link up effectively with our forwards.

As a poster said in another thread, there is a sense of entitlement on the team. The only thing that changes that are retirements. Which will come soon enough. Just not before WWC 2015.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know where you get this from. I think there's a sense of entitlement from many posters here on BS and a tendency to blame the players and coaches in case the posters don't get what they feel they're entitled to. But I don't sense it on the team. I sense they're desperate, doing what they think will best get themselves ready, and trying to give themselves any mental edge they can.

taosjohn repped this.
  16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If u feel the best team was chosen to represent the US at the WC then that's fine. For those people who feel the best team wasnt picked in the service of other ends, they just have to ask themselves why winning the WC isnt the top priority for USSoccer.

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, of course if the question is whether the best team was chosen, it's a different discussion. But, the comment I was responding to was that the players have a sense of entitlement, which is a completely different question. What's your thinking on that, do you think the player have a sense of entitlement (which I think is distinguishable from they really want to hold on to their positions) or do you think they're desperate (I'm actually interested)?

On your issue, to be honest, I'm quite sure that no one in the world knows who the "best team" to represent the US would be. The only way to know that would be to try a myriad of different rosters inserted into the Cup in a Groundhog Day type situation, and see how they do, which of course is impossible. (I'm of a scientific mindset. To me, theories and hypotheses are simply theories and hypotheses. They don't represent truth until they undergo a scientific test that produces results that verify them, in this case meaning they don't represent truth until the World Cup is over. And, whether alternative rosters would have been the "best team" instead of the current roster is a hypothesis that, sadly, never can be tested, so it always will remain, at best, a theory or hypothesis that never, from a scientific perspective, can be said to be "true," no matter how firmly anyone believes it.)

And just because some people feel the best team wasn't picked, that doesn't mean winning the WC isn't the top priority for US Soccer. US Soccer may feel the best team was picked, which would be consistent with winning the WC being its top priority (even if it is wrong about whether the best team was picked).

On the other hand, I'll agree that picking the best team isn't the top priority for US Soccer, even though I suspect they think they've picked the best team. As I've said on another thread, US Soccer doesn't appear to think that women players are very important. The US men's team is the top priority for US Soccer. Which strikes me as strange (to be generous) since the women's team, in the women's soccer world, is several orders of magnitude better than the men's team, in the men's soccer world. In fact, it's startling to me that everyone puts up with it. Where's the revolution?

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the rest of your post, I, for the most part, agree with you. However, it doesn't strike me as strange at all that the men's team receives more resources, more energy, more attention, etc. than the women's team. It has nothing to do with which is ranked higher. The answer=$$$$. The women drew over 35,000 in St. Louis, the largest home crowd since 1999. The men in their most recent friendly drew over 60,000.

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought the starting lineup the US had vs NZ was as near as perfect as can be. Here Ellis is way ahead of Neid(who keeps experimenting still) With that starting lineup, we'll can beat any team in the world. The problem for the US is not to get worn down in group play as their playing some very physical & brutal opponents. Winning the group is a must! as at least they can recuperate in then what should be an easy 1st round playoff opponent

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont really like the personnel as it applies to the formation. I think instead of either picking a formation and stocking it with the players who make it work or picking the players she wants use and then picking the best formation for that group, I think she has tried to do both.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    On entitlement, I think u could easily put Boxx in the category. Whether Ellis thinks she is in the best 23 of the 25 she had u have to ask how Boxx who hasnt played at all in a year and a half deserved to be called up at all? Is Boxx the best American DM in the NWSL? Is she even top five? This wasnt about her winning the job over other DMs. It was about her being handed the job if she could show she was fit again.

22. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put that they will be lucky to make it out of the group and I don't think they deserve that. I despise most of the senior players on this team. They are horrible self-serving twits who don't deserve to win a World Cup and 3 of them should've retired from the NT by now. I will actually be routing for the Aussies rather than my own country.

With that said this will come down to which team is healthy and in the best shape. If the U.S. stays healthy and catch the breaks they could be World Cup champs. They are more likely to be eliminated in the quarters or semis though because they are an old team and simply not good enough possession wise.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I agree that if they can stay in it long enough their depth and conditioning begin to cancel out other teams technical advantages.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well they still dont hold the ball well against pressure but Ellis has diversified the offense now with a much higher percentage of thru balls mixed in with crosses. They have taken a big step backward on set pieces tho.