Is the African Cup of Nations on TV here in the US?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by fscat, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    yeah you do need another dish installed if you're getting the international channels.

2. noueco1

noueco1 New Member

Jan 10, 2008

3A TELESUD, THE PAN-AFRICAN AND AFRO-EUROPEAN TELEVISION NETWORK IS BRINGING THE 2008 AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS LIVE IN THE USA AND CANADA ON WWW.TELESUD.US

New York, NY- Jan 9, 2008 - 3A TELESUD, the first and only Pan-African and Afro-European Television channel available in Africa, Europe, the Middle-East, Maghreb, and in the USA has acquired the Internet Broadcast rights for USA and Canada of the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations (the single most important Pan-African event on the world sporting calendar).
    3A TELESUD will broadcast all the 32 games LIVE via the internet, and will also have the games available via Video On Demand on its dedicated website after they are played.
    This latest signing of the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations confirms 3A TELESUD commitment to this event in the north American Market.

Eric Noue, Business Dev. Manager of 3A TELESUD said: "Following the success of the 2006 ACN and the tremendous feedback we received from our viewers, we look forward to see the popularity of this event reach new heights in 2008 by attracting even more football fans via the internet."

The 2008 Africa Cup of Nations, which will be held in Ghana from January 20 to February 10, continues to have a reputation as one of the most vibrant and entertaining sporting events in the world.

3. JasoninOttawa

JasoninOttawa New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Ottawa
    TV5 is going to be showing the knockout rounds again, all the way to the final.

4. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    No one outside of Africa seems to care much about the tournament, and no TV channel here seems to have bothered to pick it up, either.
    It's always only on Eurosport.

It's a fun tournament though.
    Much more so than the South American cup.

5. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I actually disagree, especially now that so many of these footballers are so familiar to fans of the top various European leagues. I'm not saying that if this tournament was televised, that it would be a ratings bonanza, but I think it would do ok, much better than the repeats of games and shows about where Christiano Ronaldo buys his toothpaste.

6. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your kidding. Copa America: Latin American countries have better coaching. and more money in the governing bodies that run the teams. Copa has a huge advantage over Africa, specifically in the fact that most the countries can properly compensate it's players. You have BRAZIL, YOU got ARGENTINA... arguably number 1 and number 2 in the world. And couple that with more entertaining games in the group stage of last year then the ENTIRE World Cup in 06. Maybe the things I mentioned prior make the COPA less FUN, in your opinion. But nothin to me is funner then watching competitive, organized and talented soccer, which the copa in those respects has the ACN beat... Don't get me wrong ... I'm still excited for it.

7. DJPuma

DJPuma New Member

Apr 10, 2001
    New York City
    Ya that may be true but the African squads at least bring their full compliment of players.
    Kaka and Ronaldinho didnt even show up to the Copa. They didn't take it seriously.
    In Africa, they take it very very seriously.

8. mcduh

mcduh New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    so what's up with this doodz?

everyone seems to be having problems with signing up for Telesud, and I am just a poorboy and don't want to pay.

has anyone found a way to just stream this from somewhere?

9. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Sure, but i still find the African cup more fun.

The teams and players are more interesting to me.

I've also never actually followed the Copa America because it hasn't been on TV...

10. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Its rediculous one of the 3 networks diddnt get the rights to televise this.

This is a huge tournament with very well known players playing in it.

FSC, GOLTV, Setanta, you have failed me.

11. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't slag of the Copa because 2 players from Brazil didn't show up. Argentina fielded a world-beater side and still lost to them in the championship. Instead of Kaka and Ronaldinho, you got Diego and Elano... still good sh*t... I digress, my bad, this shouldn't be about copa, I'm becoming more and more confident that Sopcast, or Tvu, or TV links will have stations that are gonna have it, just a hunch really.

12. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSC is one big disapointment. Infomercials in the morning, 4 English matches and 3 Italian ones (often with poor teams) to cover an ENTIRE WEEKS worth of programing (how many times were they gonna run the one FA cup match they get, in this case Liverpool vs Luton Town)... oh And every euro qualifier with the Faroe Islands. I can't imagine the ACN being that expensive, especially if they dont higher commentators, SHIT! I'd watch it in French for god's sakes!

13. mcduh

mcduh New Member

Dec 28, 2007

YOU HAVE FAILED US.

OK, so can I am home from my music gig tonight, I am provided with the following options on these channels: infomercial, infomercial, Dutch Eredivisie.

Fark this.

It's time to go deep and hard into google again and try to find that magical Kenyan channel that will be streaming Black Stars this morning.

FORZA GHANA.

14. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    FYI:

GolTV and Setanta are currently losing money in the U.S.

Setanta in particular doesn't even make enough in annual subscriber fees (I estimate 80000 subs * $7.50/month * 12 months = $7.2 million each year) to cover its cost of the EPL video rights ($9.5 million each year). [I am assuming that Setanta splits the $15/month subscriber fee on a 50-50 basis with DirecTV, DISH Network, and Globecast.]

FSC is at best breaking even because the cost of the EPL video rights is big ($9.5 million each year) and FOX Cable has bigger overhead costs than almost anyone else besides ESPN, Inc.

(FSC annual subscriber fee revenue estimate: 30 million subs * $0.20/month * 12 months = $72 million each year)

None of the 3 (FSC, GolTV, Setanta) can afford to lose any more money by adding the African Cup of Nations, a product which does NOT attract advertisers in the U.S.

In the U.S., only a handful of international soccer products besides the World Cups and the Mexican League attract enough advertisers to make a profit.

African Cup of Nations is one product that belongs on pay-subscription or pay-per-view Internet because of its ultra niche status in the U.S.

If you want African Cup of Nations and you have broadband, you can get every game for $30.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    With the way rights fees are escalating expoentially at 8-10 times the rate of inflation, the day will come when FSC will only be able to afford ONE EPL match each week, re-run over and over again, in between newscasts.

We have already seen what FSC's sister networks in Asia, ESPN Asia and STAR Sports (ESPN in Asia except Japan are corporate sister networks of FOX, not ESPN), have done recently because of the exponential rights fee escalation.

(ESPN in Asia re-airs FSN American College Football on Saturdays/Sundays instead of ESPN American College Football. Also, SportsCenter on ESPN Asia relays news stories from FSN Final Score in the US and Sky Sports News UK instead of SportsCenter US.)

ESPN STAR Sports Limited recently dropped ALL european league soccer products except for the EPL and UEFA Champions League, and ESPN STAR Sports dropped the NFL this past season (forcing the NFL to do a deal with CNBC Asia on a one-week tape-delay basis).

16. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the Economics will work itself out. If EPL protects the scarcity of their product, eventually the demand for their product in the USA will be scarce. Fox Soccer doesn't have to be deal with this kind of Oil-esque EPL marketing. How many leagues are there throughout the world? I'm sure you can get a deal from somebody, I doubt GolTV has Rupert Murdock Cash but they still have 2 good leagues. If the Epl it has to go back to $15 dollar pay per view style, then so be it... Still no excuse not to have ACN.

17. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Invite the Mexican National team and you'll get every game on TV. :p

18. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me bud.. I'm the first to say "Mexico" is America's team,

19. Abedi Pele

Abedi Pele New Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guys, Directv has an a so-called international package that excludes channels from the great continent of Africa. None...Zero. They have channels from Vietnam, UKraine. Poland ...etc. Nothing against those folks but how international are you if you don't have anything from Africa ...considering the number of immigrants from the continent in the USA.

A rep. from Directv had the nerve to tell me that the number of Vietnamese immigrants outnumber immigrants from Africa by a 100 to 1. Yes you read that right, 100 to 1. I know he must be out of his mind.

Anyway unless and until Directv customers call Directv and complain, nothing will be done. Let's call them and register our indignation at this foolishness. Call for NTA, Canal Telesud, TV Africa etc. Let them know that Africans are here.

1-800-494-4388 ...

Comcast has NTA, Dish Network has Telesud, Directv has no African Channels....zero .... Unless we take action, they will continue with business as usual.

20. Abedi Pele

Abedi Pele New Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guys, Directv has an a so-called international package that excludes channels from the great continent of Africa. None...Zero. They have channels from Vietnam, UKraine. Poland ...etc. Nothing against those folks but how international are you if you don't have anything from Africa ...considering the number of immigrants from the continent in the USA.

A rep. from Directv had the nerve to tell me that the number of Vietnamese immigrants outnumber immigrants from Africa by a 100 to 1. Yes you read that right, 100 to 1. I know he must be out of his mind.

Anyway unless and until Directv customers call Directv and complain, nothing will be done. Let's call them and register our indignation at this foolishness. Call for NTA, Canal Telesud, TV Africa etc. Let them know that Africans are here.

1-800-494-4388 ...

Comcast has NTA, Dish Network has Telesud, Directv has no African Channels....zero .... Unless we take action, unless we call and keep on calling ... spread the word.

21. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Walkingcity just posted this in the Soccer in the USA thread, but i figured i'd relay the mesage. www.xibar.net is streaming all the games in French for free. Only thing i'm not sure of is whether they show them live, or once the match is complete. Well, sure as heck beats paying 30 bucks!

22. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I downloaded and installed SopCast, and am watching this on channel 29995. The commentary is in Arabic, and the quality is poor. It's the only thing I've found though so far - for free I should say.

23. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check here for multiple feeds, many in English. I've been watching one that works just fine. I believe it's the Eurosport one.

24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    A number of people have confirmed that ART Global America (DISH Network, digital cable) will have all games live with the exception of 4 first-round games, which will air live on ART Movies America.

25. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks dude. I'll use one of them tomorrow when I'm at work :).