Is soccer going high tech?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by DamonEsquire, Sep 27, 2002.

1. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High tech soccer is here!

This morning watching CNN. A technology news break stated studies were being done. These studies were about rules (offsides and a goal). A computer base company plans selling a program, that will help judge these rules more accurately. This unique program will have sensors in ball. The shin guard will also have these sensors. It will tell the location of players and ball. A transmissive signal is sent to receiver from sensors, which in turn; the infromation demodulates by a computer. When an infraction has occured, a modulatory signal is sent to a receiver of referee or official.The company's conception hopes marketing in the year of Lord by 2003!

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Damon, I must say that I'm a little dissapointed in you. The first post of your's that I've read that I actually understood.

3. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    yeah, but can you freaking understand the actual poll?

4. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Where are the options for "I like cheese" and "Mike Segroves?"

5. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    More seriously, you might see this sort of high-tech gadgetry used at the very top levels of the game -- the World Cup and its qualifiers, the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc. -- but you won't see it down in the Rymans League or Serie C.

Kind of like the NFL has instant replay, but you don't see it in college football.

6. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    How can you tell an offsides by a sensor in the shin pad? It's the torso that determines offside, I believe. Your shinpad could be a yard offside and you could still be technically onside.

7. Thunderpac

Thunderpac Member

Feb 16, 2000
    NE Minneapolis
    If you ask me, it's all a bunch of meaningless robotics.

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    No one can understand the poll.

An English footie fan and I had a discussion with a couple of non soccer heads about this. We were both in favor of using it for off sides as it is a call so frequnetly blown incorrectly by the officials. Remember, they have to be looking at the ball and the distance between 2 players who might be inches apart 40 yards from the linesman. Damn hard call to make, and it's never consistent. In baseball if the ump has a wide strikezone as long as he calls the same balls and strikes for both teams the players can adjust. In soccer, there is no chance for that familiarty as you might get 10 passes like that spread over 90 minutes and 2 linesman, where 1 ump in baseball calls 200 pitches a game.

What bothers me about offsides is the number of times is a guy who times his run perfectly and ends up 5 or 10 yards behind the defense called offside simply because he is so clear of the defenders. It seems on longer passes forward (like 20+ yards) you see this all the time. Yes, the man might look offside now, but the ball was kicked 5 steps ago when the attacker was onside. A bad call in other sports, like football or baskteball doesn't often decide a game as there is so much scoring. It can in the final seconds, but usually it doesn't (2001 AFC division game of the Raiders and Patriots excepted). In soccer, that 1 breakaway might have won the game that will now end 0-0.

If they can find a technological solution that works everytime, I'm in favor of it. Look at the service line computer in tennis. You have guys serving a ball at 130 miles an hour- who could possibly tell if the ball hit the line on the serve. I think that computer has improved tennis. No reason one- properly programmed and tested- can't do the same for footie. And having it in the shin guards makes sense. Most players don't score with their Torso. Fifa can re-write the specifics of the rule if they have to.

9. DamonEsquire

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: High tech soccer is here!

I appologize.The sentences were grammatically incorrect. It should be stated as followed:

A technology breakage stated studies were being done.

A company plans selling a computable program, that will help judge these rules more accurately.

Sensors will tell location of ball. The shin guard will reveal players' locale through sensors.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I think they should just implant the sensor into the players buttock.

I think it's great, I'm in favor of technology improving the game.

11. DamonEsquire

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ashamedly you should be of self. Your iteration is as followed:

Favorably I think technology should improve the game.

Thanking, they should just implant sensor into buttox of player.

12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Expression of pity or even sorrow.

From Defenestration on your direction with regards to hill has been down.

13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So.....You guys are all buying into this...???