Is OKC BACK on the NASL Expansion map?

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by ManuSooner, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just put down my deposit on ST's! :) Been waiting to do that for over two years

brentgoulet and Burr repped this.
  2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    ( Some ? ) Rayo fans in Spain totally disagree

[​IMG]

3. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Can someone who understands Spanish summarize what this says for those of us who don't. I do not understand why they would care that much.

4. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't read it ... but if you were a fan of a club that you don't feel invests enough into that club (poor stadium conditions, payroll lower than many MLS teams competing in a league with Barca/Real Madrid) and they choose to spend money in another country? ... yeah, I see no reason why the would care!

SoccerPrime repped this.
  5. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Well I didn't know any of that.

6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that they are all facts, just rumors ... but to say "I don't know why they'd care" ... it's not much of a stretch to think that one fanbase will get mad that their owner is spending money on another team/market ... teams like Man City and others can get away with it because the pocketbook is large enough that it likely doesn't matter ... but a mid table (at best) La Liga team owner ... probably a different sized pocketbook.

7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically this. The first paragraph specifically mentions the stadium conditions and that it's not the first time a club president has let them down. Then it goes on to say it's abandoning the values of the club, pointing out the previous failure of Alaves, that it's an act of pure mercantilism/capitalism rather than growing the club, etc. That they need to grow here, not there.

brentgoulet repped this.
  8. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically the supporters are condemning this move as a pure merchandising move that has no hope of working and they consider it an insult that the club should be used in such manner. Certainly not good considering Rayo is the money behind the club.

brentgoulet and The One X repped this.
  9. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Well as a fan of the Pacers I really didn't care when they recently purchased the Ft Wayne Mad Ants. One sports franchise investing in a lower level sports franchise is not something I would usually consider to be a bad thing, or a cause for concern. Sure if they are negligent in their duty to provide the best product possible because they simply won't invest the money they have then yeah, but as someone in America who does not pay attention to La Liga at all why should I know Rayo's financial situation?

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the Pacers have a restricted spending limit due to a salary cap. A La Liga team that hovers near the relegation line in an old stadium probably has fans that want every "investment" their owner makes in sports to be on their team. Different scenario.

We don't expect you to know the financial situation of La Liga clubs, but if you say "Why would they care" ... you can be called out for not thinking of a few easy reasons they would care!

SoccerPrime and brentgoulet repped this.
  11. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I wasn't asking a general question of why would fans care, I was curious about the exact reason why these specific fans didn't like it.

12. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that's now how I read it ... probably because your "question" about why they should care didn't actually end in a "?". It looked like a statement that they shouldn't really care what their owner spends his money on.

No problem ... I'm curious how all this works out too!

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  14. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheFalseNine and brentgoulet repped this.
  15. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top NASL club maybe, but that's a different story. It's all about catching lightning in a bottle.

16. soccerokc

soccerokc New Member

Nov 14, 2015
    The subscribers (supporters) own 3% of the club (what I've heard). They're claiming that the transaction is illegal because they were not properly notified.

This story is developing. More Spanish media is picking up on the supporters anger.

17. soccerokc

soccerokc New Member

Nov 14, 2015
    Their president owns 97% of the club, and bought it out of bankruptcy. The supporters want the president to reinvest back into the stadium, player salaries, and fix the financial issues surrounding the women's program.

18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anything really illegal in Spain?

FootySkeptic repped this.
  19. soccerokc

soccerokc New Member

Nov 14, 2015
    http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2015/11/11/primera/1447271951_670652.html

In this interview, President Raul Martin expresses a belief that the club will be self sufficient, i.e., not expected to make additional major investments.

This response makes sense to create confidence in the public that the investment was wise.

Are there any NASL clubs that are cash flow positive?

President Raul Martin also says that "it is to be determined" how the two clubs will be linked.

That's kind of odd considering that the season starts in late February.

Lastly, he stated that no Rayo Vallecano players will be loaned to OKC Rayo initially; however, in the future it's possible as the game of soccer grows.

His comments do not create a lot of confidence for me as a local fan. He's not stated he's committed to absorbing losses if they occur, he has not assigned a team to assist Rayo OKC from a technical (player) perspective, and a pipeline is not open to young club talent.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it odd in the RayoOKC announcement that they said this was the first time a Spanish club invested in America. Didn't Alaves do it in San Francisco?

21. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its beginning to look like Rayo got suckered into this deal by Lund & Co. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think this club is going to last very long.

22. soccerokc

soccerokc New Member

Nov 14, 2015
    This club is in real trouble.

I don't understand why they're fighting to start in February 2016. They have no scheduled announcements; thus, they squandered all momentum created in their press event.

- No coaching hire
    - No player signings
    - No kit designs
    - No sponsorships
    - No supporter group

I'm very surprised that they didn't opt to start I'm the fall season. It's going to be hard to sell season tickets during the brunt of Thunder basketball.

I was also surprised that Rayo OKC didn't hire a general manager out of the La Liga (spanish) system or family. The club's branding is 100% Rayo Vallecano. You would think that Rayo OKC would benefit by leveraging the traditions, values, and supporters culture of the parent club. Their current front office team doesn't resemble the team I'd expect to manage the expectations of a foreign parent club (investor) or supporter base.

23. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Yep, the California Victory. Alavés owned the team, and pulled the plug after one season.

If Rayo expects their team to be self-sufficient, I can see the same thing happening. One and done.

I'm in complete agreement with the new guy here, this has train wreck written all over it. I won't be surprised if they decide to back off and enter in the fall season. They should.

24. warrior14

warrior14 New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't the transfer window open in January? The kit will problem be the same as Rayo Vallecano and same with the jersey sponsor then they will add some local sponsors as the season goes on. I expect the coach to be announced after the soccer bowl. Everything should be announced in Dec/Jan.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  25. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What has the transfer window got to do with anything? NASL clubs sign free agents which are available without restrictions.