Is NASL dead in the state of Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Luis_Rancagua, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Lol, carry on chief. It's been real nice to have a meaningful conversation with some one so knowledgeable. You are truly an intellectual powerhouse.

Bluesfan and OkieZebra repped this.
  2. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    I too am curious about this. Do other teams have similar set ups to the OKCFC one that's planned (a team in the NASL and one in the NPSL)?

I really don't see the point in it as far as the Energy go, but hey, more soccer, can't really complain about that.

3. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    So should I find it creepy that YOU also keep quoting ME? Seems like a bit of a double standard you have there.

And you used "Skippy" twice. At least try to be original in your insults.

4. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm glad you gave me the green light to support who I want. I don't know what I would have done with myself had you not.

Now we can get back to the topic at hand, the state of the NASL in Oklahoma. Your input has been invaluable.

5. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    These are things you think someone has to look up? Guess I'll have to speak slowly next time I'm in San Diego.

Please stay on topic.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  6. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    There are no full on reserve teams playing in USL PRO this season. LA Galaxy II is kind of a hybrid with about half the team having MLS contracts and half having USL contracts, but that's it. If you're counting the affiliations to get to 9, sending ~4 MLS players to a USL team hardly makes it a reserve squad.

There's always a threat of clubs folding at this level, but most of them are stable enough.

Orlando has run a U-23 club in the PDL for a couple seasons now. Pittsburgh launched a U-23 team this past summer though I don't think anyone outside of the player's families really paid attention to it.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in NASL, the Railhaks have a U23 team, but I am not sure if they play in NPSL, I am pretty sure that Atlanta has their reserves in NPSL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_RailHawks_U-23's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Silverbacks_Reserves

8. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Ah, thanks for the info. I'm sure it's viable, since you aren't paying those guys and you already have use of the field, so any money made from the games is just extra money, unless I'm missing something. They could even train with the pro team, which could be invaluable experience for them.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have time or the will to delete that last 2 pages. Stay on-topic and stop the belittling comments.

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Interesting article, even if they aren't saying anything new.

As far as OKC goes, we are now in August and the NASL season begins about April. They haven't made a peep about themselves, just random posts about the NASL in general and talking about the NPSL team before they were eliminated from the playoffs. Some one even asked them about info and got the standard, "we'll have updates soon!" reply.

I really have no idea what's going on, but some info would be nice.

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted a question on their Facebook page on July 13, and this is the response that I received: "We will keep you posted when there are new developments. Thanks for supporting Oklahoma City FC"

13. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    That's actually the post I was talking about. Obviously didn't know it was you, but the stock answer you received is just annoying.

14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #91 USRufnex, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Atlanta's had one for awhile, and a few others that have already been mentioned. NY Red Bulls U23 won it all this year... there's enough room in between NASL and NPSL that it's not much of a stretch to watch their clubs attempt to mimick with the NPSL what MLS is now doing with USL Pro... of course, I'd love to see Houston Dynamo U23 replace BCS Clash next year in our NPSL South Central division...

The problem I see is that the relationship between USL's D-3 teams and their PDL clubs has always been one of moving back and forth rather than the D-3 club owning and running its own PDL club. Dayton went from PDL to USL Pro, Austin went from USL-1 to PDL (albeit moved to Orlando) and now to USL Pro. And it's truly bizarre to see a team with as tepid support as Dayton Dutch Lions with other namesake PDL clubs in Cincinnati and Houston in a tribute to mediocrity I don't fully comprehend... it's hard to get enthusiastic over the concept of a reserve team of a reserve team of an MLS club competing in the PDL next year and beyond...

Although because of the egos involved in OKC and in USL offices, I'm pretty sure Energy FC will field a PDL club next season. I'm betting they play at either Taft or Stars Field and hire Brian Harvey to coach them... who is, oddly enough, the only former player from the old NASL I know of who lives in OKC... the same guy who, along with McLaughlin, made sure OKC FC didn't play at OCU again this year... so, it'll be a battle royale between Yukon FC/Chickasha NPSL versus Energy FC/OCU NPSL in a market where a single team has never truly succeeded.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anybody heard anything about the team? ManuSooner? They haven't responded to my latest Facebook post on their wall, and I've seen zero news coverage. Honestly, I'm starting to worry, despite assurances from the commissioner.

18. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Silence is golden but trop c'est too much and too much is trop

20. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy, isn't it? Jacksonville is hosting select-a-seat parties, holding open tryouts, etc. And what are we doing? NOTHING! This is my generally pessimistic nature coming out, but it sure looks like the NASL team will not be playing in 2015.

23. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Maybe they will only ready for the NASL 2015 Fall Season ;)

NegativeCreep repped this.
  24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they do that? Only play half the season?

25. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    The Cosmos did it, so why not?