Is It Too Late To Say Sarri? The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Jul 13, 2018.

1. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #201 StamfordBridgeLions, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Well, I think we have to sort out a lot of the ongoing and underlying issues and problems for sure. But a new manager is also important. I think we have to try to sort out these issues simultaneously while appointing a new manger. With the appointment of Petr Cech as a technical director, something we haven't had in a while, we are attempting to solve some issues. Or are you suggesting we just don't bother having a manager at all next season?

We are probably going to need a manager next season right? Who would you like that bloke or blokess to be? I don't mean it as a trick question. You don't have to sit diplomatically on the fence. This is a messageboard about opinions

Uncle Harry seems to think it will be Frank
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48669468

Frank is apparently going to meet Roman on the Eclipse anchored off St Tropez this week.

2. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Should have kept Gary Cahill on as player-manager to get us thru the ban. [emoji2957]

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard pass

Yahtzee repped this.
  4. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yeah. We bought him from Bolton, many folks on here hated him when we bought him.

5. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am pretty sure Jim was being a little tongue-in-cheek. Not Loftus-Cheek.

JimWharton repped this.
  6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have signed Zidane when we had the chance. Allegri would be good. The RB coach would be good. The issue is we could get Pep or Klopp and they’d be fired after a year so there’s no point in going over who I want cause they won’t last. Not until we fix the real problem. No signing Cech up with zero experience to be our TD isn’t that.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Lol wut? No.

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wouldn’t be the worst option but this should highlight the root of our problem.

10. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    You’d think the zany-face emoji would be a dead giveaway, but...

11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree. Just saying a lot of people on this board have brought him up as a "why not?" candidate.

12. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The media be saying it gonna be Frank innit. Lad has a top IQ and everything ...
    It was at Chelsea where an IQ test was administered and it was reported that Lampard had an IQ of above 150, which would place him amongst the most intelligent 0.1 percent of the world's population. Before turning professional, Lampard obtained 12 GCSEs which included an A* in Latin.

An' for the other options they be saying in the media like it's going to be the return of the Spanish waiter. Raffa the stop gap, until we can get past the transfer ban.

Erik Ten Hag only wants the job IF there is no transfer ban and he can then buy all the players he wants from Ajax.

13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Considering he has taken a tiny provincial club from the bottom of the league to competing with (and sometimes beating well) Premier League clubs like Chelsea (multi-billion pound London based) shows that he has something about him surely.

14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To beat a dead horse, with someone else's sensible words:

"
    Chelsea fans foolishly rewriting Maurizio Sarri narrative to cast him as a martyr"

theprideoflondon.com/2019/06/18/chelsea-maurizio-sarri-hindsight-narrative/

15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If Lampard is indeed the next Chelsea full-time coach, it will be the first English manager at the club since Glenn Hoddle ended the player/manager disaster in 1996 (he retired in 1995 as a player). He had a winning percentage of 34%.

16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But Glenn Hoddle did get Ruud Gullit in and that led to so much more.

Blueallthru repped this.
  17. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #217 Crawleybus, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    His win percentage certainly does NOT tell the whole story! He took a terrible team that played a god awful style and turned them into a competetive team that were GREAT to watch and he did that without the luxury of spending millions of pounds!! He had Gavin Peacock and Mark Stein to work with NOT Gullit and Gascoigne!! It took the team a while to adapt and the bottom three is where we found ourselves and (some) were calling for his head but I was standing in the Shed when it started coming together against Newcastle (a VERY different Newcastle to todays), after that game UP was the direction the team started heading and at pace, believe me Hoddle was a great manager, he only left because he got the national job!

18. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    praise to those who gave a shot at the "who next " question, slight regard to those who won't step up and risk a real suggestion and only mock and say no "------- will fail"

19. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    I may not be connecting the dots, what is the risk that posters fear from posting idle speculation on the next manager?

20. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ..........Not idle speculation........Name who realistic you want...........who you think would do a good job................so easy just to mock and criticize every name..........how hard is it to suggest one name one would approve of or want............"risk" looking silly or being wrong......... so dull to read he will fail.......he would suck........him "lol"...........................

21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hoddle was the catalyst for the entire revolution. He raised our level and our aspirations. He made us a club that good players wanted to join rather than ended up at after better choices fell through.

There is a direct lineage of hoddle, gullit, vialli, ranieri. Each were important stepping stones to roman but to call the first step a disaster, well, no. He may be as mad as a box of badgers but the fans who were there will never forget the corner he helped us turn.

PS gav was a boss and he scored the only goals in both wins against Unitedthat one year. And yes those may have been the prime highlights on that seasons VHS tape :D

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think anyone’s scared to make a claim and look silly. Just tired of the retread of this thread cause it’s basically a yearly occurrence. Thus we want to see the issues that lead to it resolved.

We have zero idea who is and isn’t realistic. Allegri was linked to us by the media. Does that make him realistic? He’s without a job right. He’s the most proven coach on the market but with the ban and our lack of structure he’s likely unrealistic but we have no clue what type of conversations happened.

You bash Sarri cause it’s trendy and he deservedly shares in the blame but was he put in a position to succeed? No. Was all the success in spite of him? No. Do the players and FO share in the blame with Sarri for our struggles? Absolutely. Will our next coach be fired if we don’t fix some of the issues? Likely.

This isn’t some cut and dry answer unless you’re really only concerned with the surface question of who’s up next on the merry-go-round.

Wrath repped this.
  23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I bash Sorri cause he is shite as a coach and not much better as a human as I see it. I said I did not like the hire before and when he was hired, I tried to for a couple of months but long before it was "trendy":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I said he was doing a shite, dull, all too predictable job since last fall, though it was an "unpopular" not "trendy position.

Seems in threads about a coach leaving and "who is next" it is not the most unrealistic surface of questions to ask who will be the next gaffer, especially from people who have nothing good to say of any suggestion.

Despite all our so called issues, the gaffer before Sorri, took us from 10th to a league title, the gaffer before him (not counting interim Guus) won a League Title, the Spanish Waiter did not, The one before won a CL, the one before a total bust. Gaffer's seem to have more an influence than surface influence, or are Pep and Klopp just shallow figureheads.

Despite all our woes and issues we seem to win trophies most years, so perhaps times are not so desperate for a team and organization that may feature near double digits in players with League and several Cup
    trophies to their name next season. Though there are many areas we could improve on and off the field, do you really think we are or should be behind Wolves, Leicester , Everton etc., or even Arse and ManU (outside attacking/striker talent though Kante back to Kepa we beat their talent all to hell), next season in talent and results?

My surface guess Lamp will make a big difference, we won't get relegated next season, we will be in top 4, and hardly any of the bitchers and moaners will even produce one name. Allegri is a realistic name, he is jobless, is that your surface name, he was a top choice of mine. Pep, Klopp, Z now, are not realistic. The Ajax dude realistic, pretty much every other PL manager, and manager at most other European or other World Clubs realistic to suggest with what we pay, can pay, if we really really wanted them, which does not mean all would automatically accept.

Back to the "he is too inexperienced, will fail, blah blah regular service then

Yahtzee and StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  24. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    But who cares if they do or don’t? Nobody is listening to us but us. We’re not impacting the process, just talking. You seem really pissed about something, but I’m not getting it.

P.S. I offered Gary Cahill, player-manager. I figured that was the end of the conversation.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  25. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ohh so pissed:rolleyes: just bemused that near no one will dare offer a suggestion:cautious::cautious::cautious: only want to poo-poo

Really no point posting a suggestion or idea if it won't "impact the process", hell of a point for marketing a "discussion board"

Perhaps those who don't simply have no idea who any football managers are if they have not already coached here or been mentioned in The Sun

This has become duller than sorri-ball.... oiii there I go red-faced pissed off ranting again, where is my medicine....