Is It Too Late To Say Sarri? The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Jul 13, 2018.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like 5 to 6 which is low but likely the point.

2. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I mean what can really be done? If reports are to be believed he favors an exit (tho likely helped by the fact that he doesn’t feel backed by the club).

Its been an odd but successful year. We were a horror show at times and didn’t show signs of ever settling into any real rhythm. We’ve got simple tools to use and they didn’t seem to align with Sarri’s very specific style of play.

Not sure what the best answer at this point is but I don’t think Sarri leaving changes much in the long run.

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

Sarri was backed with more specific targets than many of our other managers and the end results are good (top 3, league cup runners up and Europa league winners all plusses) and yet we absolutely failed away from home against the other top half teams. The tactics were easily sussed and it was only hazard at times that saved us.

Sarri is more a symptom of the bigger issue than the cause though and that is the overall lack of continuity. Time for the front office to decide what sort of club we want to be.

Do we want to aim for champions league qualification each year and win a cup or do we need to be fighting for the title. With Roman's attention somewhat waning will he recommit to the massive outlays we need to bring the squad up to title winning levels or are we going to bounce along for a while with this season likely being a good example of a best case scenario?

I am confident that a transfer ban will help longer term as we are forced to blood youngsters but realistically we dont have nearly enough in the system to close the gap to what city and liverpool can put out. It will take genuinely deep and long term injections of funds to get us back to perennial rather than one off title hopes and it all comes back to how much does Roman still love it? Not sure I know the answer to that question.

Yahtzee repped this.
  4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not surprised. It’s one of the biggest clubs in Italy.

Allegri please.

5. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Whatever. This club has no direction. I envy City and Pool when I see how well run they are. Personally I wish Sarri would stay and get more of his own signings but doubt it is going to happen.

6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The continuity issue at the club is being resolved by the appointment of Petr Cech as our new Sporting Director. Nobody has had this role since Michael Emenalo vacated the role in November 2017.

I cannot see the club appointing Lampard at this time.

IF Sarri is leaving then the logical replacement imho is Allegri.

7. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, yes, although we have consistently won trophies over the last decade. When have Liverpool last won the title? How well run are they? City have spent a lot of money - is that the definition of well run? IF Roman spends big again, like he used to, is that Chelsea FC being well run? Perhaps the current lack of direction at the club is that the owner is no longer going to games and is no longer allowed to be a resident in the UK.

JimWharton repped this.
  8. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On the one hand, it seems as if we have no idea what we're doing. On the other, we have more trophies than any other club in England since Roman took over. Can't we do both? Or are they mutually exclusive?

On Sarri - it's interesting, because Juve are mortal enemies of Napoli. In the long run, good for him. I'd take it, too. Ronaldo still has a year to give and they could challenge for the CL in a serious way if they make some good moves. But now Conte is back with Inter. Serie A will be fun.

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Cannavaro began his career at Napoli and played at Juve at one point. Loads of players have played for rivals and it’s not much of an issue.

10. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I mean, the fans (some fans) care. They hung some stuff outside of Sarri's house already. But I think it'll go away. I don't think he really cares.

I care about who our next manager will be. Always fun, this club.

11. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't really see the doom and gloom in our squad that seems so prevalent, or a need for a rebuild at every spot. With a proper gaffer, or at least one that is not a rigid stubborn sussed out, superstitious nutter git, and a handful of players we can be fine and challenge all.

Back to front, Kepa is a top GK and only getting better, only Ederson, Allison and for me Schmeichel have better arguments this season. Dave is as solid a top rb as there is, some have better attacking arguments for sure but tweak the system to use him best. Neeed a back-up rb but we have strong youth coming along, James probably ready to step in as the back-up, and challenge for future spot.

CB, Rudiger is top class and doing the job, Christensen is solid and growing, a worthy starter, Zouma and Ake buy back option still about. me I'd sell Luiz, most goals involve his fault, not worth the trouble, some strong youth coming of age. We could use 1 special commanding dominating type, (who could not) but not an absolute necessity. We are fine there if properly used.

Left-back- ok here we could use a special new player, unless new gaffer is a wing back guy, let Alonso go if he wants and keep Emmerson as a back-up.

CMF - we have the best in world and I have faith Kante will be played proper again. RLC, ********ed in short term, but one of best dominating cmf's in making.
    Have some top young ones potentially. Kov-adios, Barkley-keep as squadie short term RLC help, Baka, ruined his selling price again so perhaps give him a last go from the bench, but we do really need one physical skilled starting box-box goal scoring dangerous special player. (And we should have pesos to spend)

AM/wings One huge void to fill plus we already needed at least 1 more
    Sadly CHO no help this season, Puli maybe will be. Need to buy big and special at least 1 and another up and comer. Willian, time to go, shut up haters;), if we can buy 2 I'd let Pedro go, though if he content as a squadie he has some use

Special Striker - most desperate need let what we have fight for next 2 spots

in summery we ain't Watford or Everton or a team with Europa at best talent,, ie Arse:D a handful of decent buys, if we allowed, and or own internal promotion and we should be solid Top 4 competing, as a bit of a long shot with right breaks with Top 2.

Namely:

Absolutely need 3 special players, Striker, AM/WING and top cmf
    and with Hazard$$$, what we spend/waste on Baka/Barkley/Drinkwaters every year should have 200- to 300 million quid to overspend on Pepe and Icardi or that class

Priority upgrades; Left Back, 2nd CMF, 2nd AM/wing (but can do job without)

Luxury extravagances: Top Class Dominating physically imposing CB

Yahtzee repped this.
  12. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair assessment lobo but think it also speaks directly to where some of the squad negativity is coming from. When you look at city and Liverpool they have a vast wealth of goal scoring options which is reason number one why they are so good. With hazard going, arguably we have no reliable source of goals.

None of our strikers pose much of a threat, willian and Pedro are in decline, the one player we bring in has never been a prolific scorer and cho/rlc, even if healthy are not putting 12-15+ league goals in any time soon. No goals of note are coming from our CMs.

So whilst I am optimistic about Kepa, rudi, Kante, cho, rlc, and the players we can promote from loanees there are still so many more gaps we have to fill to compete for the title (which I hope is still our goal).

Blueallthru and Wrath repped this.
  13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We desperately need at least -3+ special goal scoring players to compete with top two, but we do not have so many gaps elsewhere that we need a total rebuild and are no better than a 6th to mid table side at best without, for next few seasons, as many others say or insinuate.

Liverpool has built a solid top 4 player defense, but not that deep in proven D help, and not a midfield we can't compete with. City very good but not a defensive powerhouse, just not needed much, and a great midfield for their system, but healthy we can compete with their central midfield. Even Sarri was able to frustrate City a couple times so with a proper gaffer we can be in games with both but;

Absolutely true that both blow us away in attacking options, but if we can get just 2-3 special players, say for dreams sake Icardi, Pepe, and, Maddison:D, as I said not favored by any means, but with some breaks and less eff-ups against teams we should beat we could tighten the race up a good bit and be the next best,.

With a ban at some point, unless we go smart-crazy make it rain this summer, (in 3-4 players of true quality not the 35-50 million per shite mf-er system we have been using) I see a 3-2 year arc for getting title but we should be a strong up and coming CL 3rd place team, including next season, or if not, clearly see we are blooding and earning our future.

My main point we don't need to torch all we see and rebuild everything. Sarri probably cost us 10-15+ points this season imagine what that would have done for negativity.

p.s. Board needs some serious tweaking, Marina like Woodward and others, may be great at business, but they need to stay the ******** out of serious football decisions. Hopefully Cech, if true helps)

14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    p.s. If you do add a couple special goal scorers, that occupy defenders, and come with a far better system approach I think we will find we have more goal scorers than we think. Thy are not named Jorgingo, Kov or Kante, or Sorri -ball.
    Look how RLC scored when he actually played, CHO I believe had goals and assists in him, Giroud, Hig if he stays I believe have more goals in them in a better system with better support players. Even Barkley a few more. Pul probably as well.
    BUt RLC and CHO out puts a damper on most of next season so we really need a goalscoring starting cm, not sure who I want yet.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blueallthru repped this.
  16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sarri to Juve official.

[​IMG]

Blueallthru repped this.
  17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And from our club.

Guys, he needs to be closer to his elderly parents (who weren't elderly last year apparently).

Blueallthru repped this.
  18. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    Yet another well thought out appointment from our club.

How good was Sarri Ball?

19. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There was nothing wrong with his appointment, we finished third, won the Europa League, and got paid for him to go.

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed. Can argue all day long about how much was down to hazard magic but end result was as good as we could have hoped for. Despite of him, because of him, who can say.

All I know is with all of these terrible appointments our trophy haul is rather magnificent and consistent, most clubs envy it. I'll take that over a feel good appointment resulting in nothing.

JimWharton repped this.
  21. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don’t mind letting Sarri go. It was an awkward fit at times even if ultimately he was successful in the goals that were set.

I hope we don’t hire Lampard. Based on his resume, this has the possibility to fail very badly.

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    It’s so frustrating to read opinions like this. First, what basis do we have to think Sarri cost us 10-15 points? None. We finished 2 points better than last season and won the Europa league despite Jorginho being the only meaningful addition and the rest of the side being mostly unsuited to the way Sarri wanted to play. Sarri also clearly compromised on his principles later in the season and in the Europa league. And I don’t mind Sarri being let go. But the view that he’s objectively bad is ridiculous.

Also, the notion that we want our club to be run professionally so it’s good we’re getting Cech in is.....nuts? We’re literally hiring an old pro with ZERO experience to run transfers as we’re suggesting we want to be run more like Liverpool. We have no reason to think Cech will be any good at this job! This is an old school “you’ve been around football for a while” appointment. (Not unlike Lampard, if it happens.) Why do we want that? My understanding is that he’s going to have fairly limited power - let’s hope so. What is the evidence that Cech is good at identifying underpriced players with elite skills? That he saved two penalties in Munich? Seriously?

Hiring Lampard and Cech is a step backward, especially in terms of running this club professionally.

JimWharton, Wrath and truefan420 repped this.
  23. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wrong manager for the wrong club basically. We won a trophy and got back in the CL, got RLC starting and CHO some game time, and still bested Sp*rs despite they’re best season.

Sarri wasn’t the right fit, but he wasn’t Villas-Boas either.

Dtrip77 and Yahtzee repped this.
  24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And much as I love Lamps and Cech, United has been doing similar and it’s been underwhelming by their standards.