Is Heaps Another Bust?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that Burns' problem too. ;)

Rangers Rob repped this.
  2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Freddy Adu is a much better player than he's shown his entire career, and I'm starting to think Benny is the same. There's a reason he didn't catch on with Derby County, subsequently ended up relegated to the Danish second division, and then had to come crawling to MLS with his tail between his legs. He and Freddy's career paths haven't been too different, neither player is that effective.

Reis is old and what we've been watching for the past two years is what Matt Reis currently is as a goalkeeper. I don't expect his performance to improve with age.

Rowe has been a disappointment. As a preseason ROTY candidate and a player who looked impressive in the preseason friendlies, I'm extremely disappointed. He does look like he's gained some weight to better deal with the physicality of the league, but that's left him sluggish. My main point here though is that we shouldn't be expecting anything from a rookie. Depending on any rookie, even the number one pick of the draft, to contribute right away is a mistake. If we had gone about our offseason more effectively, Rowe's underperformance wouldn't be hurting the team.

Alston has been making these mistakes throughout his entire career. It's time to realize that we're starting to see Kevin Alston as a finished product. He's got a good motor, he's got the physical tools, but he's not skilled and doesn't read the game particularly well.

Soares had a much better rookie year than sophomore year thus far, which is common for players. I'm hoping that he can get past the sophomore slump sometime this year and continute upwards towards the 2013 season. However, I also don't think Soares is a #1 CB in MLS, we need to add a stud CB for the 2013 season to pair with AJ.

Tierney is what he is. His set pieces have definitely been poor, which is unexpected. Beyond that, he's a finished product as well. Just not good enough. I see him as a player on the end of the bench for a good MLS team.

As for Shalrie, only time will tell; but I have a feeling that his play won't improve with CUSA. He's past his prime.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order to be a "bust" there has to be some expectations. I was surprised to see Heaps hired at the time, and I honestly didn't know what to expect. There is a learning curve and he has made some mistakes you'd associate with an inexperienced coach, but overall the results are slightly better than the debacle of last year and the team is more interesting. I don't think he is a "bust." But by the end of next year we are still around this level of points/game, without signs of a brighter future, then show him the door.

Jeremy Goodwin and Rangers Rob repped this.
  4. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say..if we're in the same place as this year come May/June...make a statement and say, well..we tried to be cheap..we tried to give the job to someone where we didn't need to go searching..our DVD player is broke...move along, Jay..thanks for the try...
    now go be Mariner's assistant, win a SS and then we'll take you back! =)

Rangers Rob repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, please no!

If we're in the same place in 10 months, that's just another year down the tubes. If they're going to stick with Heaps, do it, but don't go into the season thinking we can get rid of him after a couple of months...

Rangers Rob repped this.
  6. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what do we do if we only have 5 wins by May/June of next season?

Ok..We'll keep him because he's Jay...

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying keep him because he's Jay.

This team will need to make a decision (ah, who are we kidding, they already have) as to whether or not Heaps is the long term solution. Since he's cheap, I'm sure the answer is yet.

Regardless, if they don't think he is, then it's pointless to give him into next year. Fish or cut bait with him.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Wow. One and done? That's harsh - any coach taking over a bottom of the table team is going to need a reasonable amount of time.

He hasn't even really had Bengston yet.

rkane1226 repped this.
  9. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time I've agreed with you in a while, comparing last year to this year Heaps has definitely earned himself a at least a year or two more. Hopefully he'll brush up on his tactics sooner rather than later though.

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re-read his post, he's saying that he deserves to be at the helm for at least all of next season.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thak you Crooked. I'm saying that after two full years, we should be able to see if the Good Ship Revolution is heading in the right direction, or if it looks to be shipwrecked on thos rocks. If it's the latter, then Heaps has had his shot, so it's time to move on.

Having said that, he really does deserve enough time to do things his way. A full season and a half with Bengston (and assuming (!) they pick up some other players like him) should tell us a lot.

12. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless things go catastrophically wrong next year I'm in agreement with that, two years for a new coach is pretty reasonable in my opinion unless it's an Aron Winter type of situation

13. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though it may not show in the standings this year's team does feel different & there are pieces to which to build from. Believe that Rowe will get better in his second year & we'll have Bengtson/Sene for a full season unless they go after another forward. Like to also see us improve on defense and get a right side midfielder.
    The key is when we target another player we cannot swing & miss like we did with Moreno.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be no "unless" in the above statement.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    What a difference one little word makes! ;)

Agree with your point now that I understand it.

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not that anxious to see Heaps cut loose.
    You all realize his replacement would be Causey?

RevsFanDan, NFLPatriot, cml1394 and 2 others repped this.
  17. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before tonight's game is even played..I say fire Heaps and Burns this afternoon prior to the kickoff. Have Bilello go down to the field and coach the team to a win against the Impact. LOL

Jerry, Sene & whomever else is playing in an attacking role today, had better figure out Nesta's shortcomings..there aren't many, but once you discover them, goals will be scored at will.

Revs take this one 2-0...! :)

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, so what's the difference?

19. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    LMAO

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People keep bringing up that the Revs have been in a lot of games, have only lost by 1 goal in most of them.

You know, what might have worked ... if we had brought in a coach that had some experience. Maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't have lost all these games by one goal?

Oh, sorry, my bad ... can't question the Krafts or the FO. They see things that we don't. They know all. Etc etc.

pwykes repped this.
  21. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You know what also would have worked? Spending money on better players.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Coach K gave him a stellar recommendation. What more evidence do you need? Due dilligence? Whazzat?

pwykes repped this.
  23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Causey would put the players to sleep with his locker room talks.

24. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, so what's the difference?

eric_appleby repped this.
  25. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nesta didn't even play...Shame is a lonely condition..!