Is Heaps Another Bust?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not like the Red Sox because minus that guy who sold everyone including Babe Ruth all those years ago the Red Sox have had owners who care and want the team to succeed. Knowing your owner couldn't care less about the team means the suffering won't go away, because if we somehow win the MLS cup under Kraft it will be a lucky cup run like Colorado's last year, after which we would likely fall back into obscurity because of MLS' love of parity.

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make enough noise and you'll get new Ownership. It might take decades, but you'll get it.

3. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As awesome as that sounds its unlikely. I think what the majority of us are hoping for is that Kraft realizes MLS has improved drastically since 96 and hires respectable people in the FO. That way he can not care all he wants as long as he's paying a few knowledgeable people who do and can keep the team modernized in MLS 2.0 and beyond. Unfortunately the recent FO moves he made are not very encouraging.

4. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    How many professional sports owners have sold their teams because of the "noise" their fans have made?

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is a different animal. Keep up the good fight is all I can say.

6. Bradman

Bradman Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Revs will improve in 2012 because SN built a solid core with decent new talent. In 2011 the team hit the bottom of the usual rise and fall cycle and Heaps will benefit from the rise.

Will they push beyond middle of the eastern conference pack in the 1.0 model? Doubtful, but seaon one under Heaps will be considered a success.

But it will really be SN team on the field.

But I do wish Heaps the best, a GREAT local story.

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pat Phelan and Cochrane are a SN team on the field! :mad:

8. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I honestly think the fortune of the 2012 Revs depends entirely on them retaining Caraglio. Without him, the team is back to square 1 with an anemic forward corps, and the defense as currently constructed is still porous.

9. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To think that someone named Kraft will own this team into the next decade is very depressing..!!

VERY!

10. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it

11. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, entropy technically means the logarithm of the number of microstates that a system is capable of assuming.

You're thinking of the second law of thermodynamics.

</pedant>

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Nice, but it easy to see how that got overlooked - it's not what people have already decided to believe.

It's amazing how many people are rooting for Heaps to fail - and they can't wait to be the first to pronounce it.
    Yup, things have gotten pretty ridiculous here. No one wants to talk about soccer, they just want to pile on the criticism, complaints and forecasts of failure.

Perhaps the only thing worse than the Revs '011 performance is the BigSoccer Revs forum performance for '011. :(

I'd put my money on the Revs bouncing back in '012 over this forum, and that's not saying much. About the only thing left for this group is venting (yes, I know, it's Kraft's fault - after all, he's not wearing a Revs pin!).

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Like I said in another thread, I am more excited for this season(then the previous 3-4) because we finally have some major CHANGE to talk about. The players we brought in over the past couple years have been ho-hum, so no real excitement at all.

But a coaching change, especially this situation, will allow us to have plenty of soccer to talk about.

The question that will divide the NNN/KAD will be if things start rough that there will be 2 sides: give Heaps more time and resources and players, or it's a train wreck and do the Revs have the balls to pull the plug before it becomes another wasted failure of a year (which I think even the KAD will agree to now has happened for the last 3-4 years)

15. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You're right. The endless failings of this organization are getting pretty old.

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    major change? lol

17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I meant that having a new inexperienced coach to take over a failing side (even if he came from the broadcast booth), is a pretty big change that will allow for lots and lots of analysis.

But I know what you mean - re-reading it does sound funny given everything that happens in Revs land.

I'm still very interested/excited to see if it was good gamble or train wreck....at least something to look forward to as oppossed to lame-o player signings for the last couple of years.

18. Supahhhrev

Supahhhrev Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dorchestah, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to forgive an organization overnight for the outright neglect the FO has shown over the past 3 or 4 years. Just changing the coach and promoting others for failing doesn't exactly earn a "wait and see" with me.

I'll watch the '12 revs but only from the comfort of my couch.

They need to do a whole helavalot to earn back my time, respect, passion, and money.

Thanks,
    -Beau

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, you guys are totally right. The people who have been supporting this team for years and years through thick and thin, travelled to countless away games, and sung their voices hoarse are all actually rooting for this team to fail. You guys finally figured it out.

There's a difference between predicting failure and hoping for failure. For example, I could give the keys of my car to a child. I think it's reasonable to predict that the child would crash my car, but that doesn't mean that I'm hoping he crashes my car. Unlike you Doc, I don't need to feel validated by my "predictions" coming true. Just because I predict the Revs will fail, it doesn't mean that I want them to fail so my prediction comes true. I'd love to be proven wrong by the Revs, however, they've yet to do that.

These boards would be elated if Heaps could turn things around for this franchise, but I have some serious doubts about that being possible. There are still issues with commitment from the Krafts, a lack of professional experience in the FO, etc. Only time will tell, but I'm telling you now that I'll be the first person to say that I was wrong (something you don't know how to do) and that I couldn't be happier if this team actually succeeds.

20. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you...

But I'm going to go to games (Most-Some), but I refuse to pay for ST or buy my tix in advance. There's always someone willing to unload a few here and there which I'll gladly reimburse them for...or I hang like a beggar around the ticket booth and wait for someone to walk up to me and ask me if I need a "FREE" ticket!

And, most usually..it's in Apathy Alley..! Which, I will use to sit in the Fort, I'm a paid Rider..and if I get fed up enough with the game. I put my tail between my legs and go sit in the Alley amongst the paying customers, who, most likely, have no idea what they're witnessing..and listening to their kids go Ooooohhhh..when Matt Reis boots a long one down field..Yup, real exciting!!

21. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    That's a pretty broad brush. It's such a fun term-of-the-day to use, isn't it? Apathy Alley.

I've mentioned it in the past and I'll mention it again: I have witnessed quiet, analytical, yet _attentive_ watching of the game when I've sat in these offending sections. In fact, a LOT of people I know don't want to do all the hootin' and hollerin' and would like to _watch_ the game from a point in the field that represents their perception of the best seats they can get. Typically as close to midfield as affordable. I know I know I know it doesn't help the atmosphere - but really the greatest enthusiasm and Ooohing and Aaahing comes from GOOD play on the field. Just maybe if the team was better - ayedunno - the passion would be higher? Maybe? It's like, organic.

The _true_ apathy in the cold cold soccer business really hurts us 'Alley' dwellers as well. The true fix, I believe, is a better team. It would be great to see a turnaround.

Please don't make seat selection a 'true fan' or other divisive issue.

Kevin D.

22. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--
    Is Heaps another Bust?

As of today, 11-28-2011; yes, he is

23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This isn't a division of fandom. It's Apathy Alley. I sat there for years. Sure, there are some knowledgable and passionate fans in those seats. For the most part, its little Suzy and Johnny eating Hot Dogs and trying to get Slyde's attention. It is nothing the fans have done. It is what Kraft has forged it into. No need to take it personal.

24. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Fair 'nuff. Everyone's experiences in the <fun-name-for-the-middle-ish-seats> are different, I suppose. Mine have been good and entertaining and fulfilling when the product has been good. Guess it's just a hot button of mine.

Damn, I wish this team was good.

On-Topic: Heaps a bust? Obviously a wait and see. Cautiously optimisitc. Kinda like forcing a shut down of a PC and hoping it boots up cleanly this time.

Kevin D.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we did have good teams a few years ago, so how was it then? Seems to me there was a direct relationship between the team getting good and attendance getting bad, but hey, your mileage may vary.

I used to split time between the Fort and some great category 1 seats behind the visitors bench. You can't compare the two, like you can't compare a chocolate cake with a pepperoni pizza. Both are good, but in different ways.

The Cat 1 seats were great for watching the game. In the Fort, anything at the other end is merely a rumor. These seats were also great for Fort-like heckling, but there is definitely a limit. I once called Ray Hudson a "Geordie bastard" and added that he was "nooothin' moore'n a Scotsman whose been kecked in thu head." He laughed and turned around in mock indignation.

Then there was the time in 2002 a Metro assistant lost his job because he forgot to put Clint Mathis on the subs list, and it was an embarassment when they tried to sub him in and the ref wouldn't let them. Their next game was here and they were getting ready to sub, so I reminded the surviving asst. coach to double-check the list. He gave me a dirty look, and I said, "well, at least you remembered to start Mathis this game." He started swearing at me (where was Team Ops when you need them?) and threatened to have me tossed. At that point I just laughed at him loudly and then sat down & shut up. When in Rome and all that.

Let people sit wherever they want. There is plenty of room that there won't be any fighting over who gets their preferred seats.