Is Freddy Adu as good as they say??

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by tico_sapri, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    yeah but like solid said those players that play abroad were created in Argentina, one thing is to send some of the best players to play in foreign countries to raise their level of play...but what happens when at home you have nothing to rely on?...US' result against Costa Rica last night showed what the US is with players from its home league...

2. AntoAguilas1

AntoAguilas1 New Member

Oct 5, 2005

The Truth Hurts doesnt it? :) Freddy isn't there im sorry but he dissapointed me out of 10 or 12 times he is just a show monkey he can only complete 2 jukes out of 10 or 12. thats what u call a great ??? and because he wanted to stay close to his mom ? what kinda crap is that the whole concept of being a soccer player is to become better learn and take whatever risks and sacrifice you are going to take its the whole part of discipline!!!. You are very funny saying the MLS is a good league u better be joking about that more like the Mickey Mouse Leage to me. and no your an idiot u dont have to be 18 or 19 to be a phenom the talent just shows since your young maradona and pele. it was funny how they also dare to compare freddy to pele the brazilians must of had a good laugh but only in america do we believ things like these things that they are good. and freddy adu im sorry but is not even half of what dos santos is its so funny yet u seem so mad about it cause u know its the truth . adu being better than dos santos thats a really funny joke. it really is i gotta hand it to u though u really tried. Adu is not even his age another one to start off with that by itself it just shows he doesnt have any talent playing in the mls common !!! If he really had the balls he would of gone to barcelona and not lame excuses like the ones u bring up cause he wanted to be with his mom dont give me that bull crap. Adu wont develop when hes 18 as a phenom u can lie to ure self and be in denial its fine with me but u know it and everybody knows it he wont. Adu is just a showoff that cant do ******** thats it . Dos Santos would rape Adu any day cause he doesnt try to show off but to help his teammates and team just look at the sub17 wc its amazing how u would say that. If he cant score goals or if ure lame excuse about him not doing good is physical strenght then what kinda of stupid mistake has the Mls bring the young "PHENOM" to play in a league that is all about physical strenght if u cant hang in there then thats too bad he shouldnt be in there and go back to play how he was before . With Adu i really dont blame the kid its not his fault he was bought to play for the us and wanted a better life cant blame him but its just sad how they portrayed him to be all good and now isnt ******** the pressure caught up with him and thats what u get. :D Adu didint need any Barcelona youth hype to get recognized. He just came out of nowhere and started playing. Yeah cause he couldnt cut it thats y also cause u need to be good to be recognized by barcelona u dumbass and not to mention santos brother Jonathan Dos Santos is on his way too and promises to be One of the best midfielders for his age. :D

3. dominate

dominate New Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Austin, TX
    wow, I didn't think it was possible to fit so much crap into one post. bravo. nice grammar too.

fyi Freddy was offered a contract at Inter Milan when he was 12 or 13, what was your hero Dos Santos doing at that age? I think Freddy needs to go to Europe soon, I don't think he can learn much more from playing in MLS. I think he has learned more from playing in a pro league than he would playing in some amateur league with a youth team of Inter Milan or Barcelona, but from here his development would probably be best served going abroad.

4. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    Is Adu playing in the next U-20 WC? Or is he going straight to men´s team?

5. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy can't play in europe until he's 18. Before he signed with DCU, ManUnited was trying to get im badly. Anyways I did not bother to read antoaguilas post cause he #1 can't write proper sentences and #2 is obviously a regular in BS under a alias trying to just bait people aka 4 post

Anyways keep the egocentric anti-MLS post coming

6. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    he was offered 750,000 from inter milan when he was 11, after he dominated there u-14 team as a 10 year old. He also schooled Manus u-18 team as a 13 year old.

7. FCBarcelonaFC

FCBarcelonaFC New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    who cares wha Apoo did the fact of the matter is that now he sucks :D ... but i agree is not his fault that he sucks ... Dos Santos playin in da field of Ronaldhinooo ... who's Apoo playin with? sierra mist

8. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Can't believe I missed this thread. The Mexico fans seem to have a massive inferiority complex regarding the player. He's hyped by the USA, which is true, but he's still a sensational young talent. People criticize him for going into the USA league but the plan for him is not necessarily a stupid one... the contract is out when he's 18, and he'll be free to sign on with any club he wants afterwards... and there are still plenty of clubs that see his obvious potential (without the built in anti-USA hate goggles that many Mexicans seem to have or the rose colered goggles USA fans have). I'll go by Chelsea, Milan, Manchester United, etc. scouts and valuations before what the peanut gallery here says.

Freddy Adu is a great young player and is easily one of the very best of his age group. But the reality is that, like most 16 or 17 year olds, those in the know and the scouts are the ones that are monitoring him. Forget about the hype. Just keep it in perspective. I cannot wit to see the type of player he will hopefully become.

9. Filho

Filho New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Actually Dos Santos is a Brazilian...half Brazilian anyway. His dad is Brazilian who played pro soccer in Mexico. Before the mexican fans get bent out of shape...I consider the kid Mexican cause he was born and raised there (until he left for Europe)...but he's got some of the ole Brazilian magic from pops 4 sure. Boy, I never thought I'd live to see the day Mexicans get all hot and sweaty over a black dude (ok...he's really mixed..latin american style) but from a distance he looks like Ronaldinho...and he sure looks more stereotypically Brazilian than Mexican...funny world. Next thing you know Argentina is gonna have black players :D

10. dominate

dominate New Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Adu is more advanced as a professional soccer player simply because he has been in a professional environment for 2 years now whereas Dos Santos might get to practice with Barca's full team once in a while if he's lucky . Just when do you think Dos Santos will be playing first team football? Will he replace Ronaldinho? Deco? Messi? Not likely, bud.

BTW what is up with so many Adu-haters posting with your socks? Why are you so afraid of posting yourselves?

11. dominate

dominate New Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Even though I know Adu can't play with the first team until he's 18, I think he may benefit from playing with the developmental team of a European power for a year before he can jump in for 1st team football. He certainly shouldn't think he can leave MLS and start immediately for a big team, a la Donovan. If a Euro giant has a year to mold him into their style before giving him a shot at the 1st team, they may be more willing to integrate him quicker when he turns 18. I have mixed feelings about this actually, I want Adu to play at a high level as long as he can, but also to be surrounded and learn from the best at this very impressionable young age. He can learn more in Europe, but he can play at a higher level here now. I tend to lean towards getting him some world class mentors ASAP.

12. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Which in a way is the genius behind his extensive contract negotiations and the structure of it. Hell of a deal when you look at how it was made... he'll be all set and still have loads of time to analyze what the best route is when he turns 18. He can rake in the dough with domestic sponsors and endorsements and hten when he's 18, he can do what may or may not be best for his career - move to the right environment that will help him take his game to the next level. He could go to an academy in one of those other clubs because he'll still only be 18 years. He wouldn't jump straight to first team football.

13. AntoAguilas1

AntoAguilas1 New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    I think ure an idiot to start off with. What has he done for his age? Has Freddy won a sub 17 wc and be the shining star? no!! so stfu .
    what dos santos did in the wc has done more than stupid freddy adu has done in his whole soccer career so stfu. I know the truth hurts and its sad to see adu in a crappy league like the mls there is not much future there. Santos in barcelona. Adu in mls. Santos is wanted by more soccer clubs than Adu will ever be. ;)

14. AntoAguilas1

AntoAguilas1 New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    First of all i think you just bit your tongue., The U.S is made up of Foreigners thats the only way the U.S has been improving thanks to foreigners and ugly defensive Bruce Arena socccer .all the team is like foreigners that's it!!.It must be a shame , Also For Freddy not even american either hedkjuk and everybody else the same . I wish the U.S had American Players as in 100 WHITE that will be the day . Same for Adu u get them all riled up for nothing so they can see their monkey boy not do nothing and play in a laughable league and joke league like the mls aka mickey mouse league and u talk about mexicans being riled up funny stuff. :D

15. FCBarcelonaFC

FCBarcelonaFC New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Dude freddy is advanced physically n thats it ... Gio
    Since he's now in the Barca B ... i give it 2 yrs :D ... at the age of 18 ... Gio is the kid to root for like i said ... will he replace ronaldhino? ... Deco? Messi? Samuel Eto'O? ... DOES IT LOOK LIKE I PREDICT THE FUTURE KID??... BY THE WAY AM NOT MEXICAN BUDDY... DOS SANTOS IS THE FUTURE OPEN YOUR EYES TO IT ...

16. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX

Certainly hope so.

When I read the title of this thread, it looked like a severe attempt at trolling and, despite better wisdom and evidence to support my original thoughts about the intent of the thread being validated by reading a few pages of ignorant hatred being spewed around here, I must chime in.

Originally, many people threw out tons of hype that I refused to buy in or comment about until he was old enough to borrow his mom's car and drive legally to the junior prom. Now that he IS of that ripe young age of 16yrs and 3 months-- despite undying ridiculous, baseless conspiracies that he's emphatically denied and would have involved incredible, Deon Warwick premonitions about his career direction to commit such a forgery-- I can say definitively he's one of the most gifted, athletic, young phenoms ever to have played that I've ever witnessed.

Dos Santos is talented, quick, a good ball handler, and can pass, but just how many goals did he score again anyway? I’m not detracting from his performance of lifting Mexico, which typically underachieves in the same fashion England in youth tournaments. At the previous U-17 and his 1st U-20, Freddy was a man among boys.

At the Dallas Open Cup against Tigres of Mexico, he dominated and was CLEARLY the best player in the whole tourney. Tigres won, but their defenders couldn't mark him 1v1 or double team him effectively. It was more a factor of Watson, Szetela, and that fraudulent waste of a #10 in Memo Gonzales not doing their part and being dangerous. It was the same in the '03 U-20's with Quaranta, Grabavoy & Convey ball watching him and not looking to contribute much the same as Michael Jordan's teammates watched him. Nobody with the last U-20 team for the US played well, and he found himself being the 1st sub off the bench for Schmid. BUT, in the U-17 matches, he was totally unstoppable. The only way defenders could stick with him was to foul him, which was often. I recall him drawing 2 penalties.

He's inconsistent in league play because MLS defenders wont give away space and wont be knocked off the ball as easily as the 16 and 17yr olds Dos Santos couldn't score against. Considering the scoring woes of every Mexican national that's attempted to play in the MLS w/ exception to the great Hugo Sanchez, I seriously doubt Dos Santos would find the net anymore than a typical 17yr old rookie. Having watched and taped many games featuring him and having seen him play in person about 3 or 4 times now, Freddy's skill, speed, and athleticism are his heal. He relies on them too much taking on defenders rather than playing smart soccer. Hopefully with time and enough bruised shins, he'll learn to use space better and when to pass. A lot of the defenders he faces are more than 10 years his senior with years of professional experience and physical development on him. He struggles like most of the young players in MLS, but at this point, I wouldn't be concerned about his progress.

Is he as good as they say? He is unquestionably the best prodigy the US has ever fielded. That's saying a lot considering Donovan, Beasley, Convey, Gaven and Spector, Eddie Johnson, Cherundolo, Twellman, Reyna, Tim Howard, John O’Brian, Bocanegra have all played the junior levels for the US.

17. Filho

Filho New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    you got me all wrong...someone said stop comparing Dos Santos to Brazilian soccer players and I was just making a cheeky reference to his Brazilian heritage. I thought I actually attached the previous post.

as for him being black...i'm not trying to get political, just interested in how mexicans view him since he is in the minority. Mexico has had players with part African ancestry before so he's not entirely new...I am actually amazed and excited at how proud they are of him...that's what I meant but it came across poorly I guess....I'm not American and I'm not white and it's a soccer board so I won't mention skin color anymore since misinterpretation leads to bad feelings..sorry and peace to all

18. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Finally, a good post in what I now call the ´Forum where Mexicans can troll and make fun of the USA without any repurcussions´.

19. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That perfectly explains why the USA is as good today as they were 20 or 30 years ago. No wait...

False, troll. You need to do research before spouting ignorate crap like this. Frankie Hejduk was born in California. Freddy Adu moved to the USA when he was 8 years old, like many other people that have moved to the USA at a young age and are considered citizens of the country. Next time, look it up. There are some players born in other countries but the majority were born in the USA.

How ignorant can you possibly be... The USA does have American players. But if you want the USA to have **American** players, then be my guest and find the Native Americans that will suit up. The USA has African Americans, Latin americans and Caucasian Americans among others representing their ranks and they should. The inferiority complex your showing towards the USA is pathetic.

Clearly you are riled up since you just made the spectacular racist move of calling him a **monkey**, which is why I just negative repped you - not the other crap in this post since that crap is still your erroneous, ignorant and rather stupid opinion which you´re entitled to. :rolleyes: Even if MLS is a mickey mouse league, they produced enough players to beat Mexico a few times, including about a month ago and in the World Cup. What does it say that a terrible, horrible, joke of a league can still produce players good enough to repeatedly beat you...

20. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I don't know his point, but the point I see is a very sharp one. The Mexico U-17s beat the world for the title. That's a very sharp point, indeed.

But that doesn't alter the facts: 1. Freddy is as good as they say, and 2. he's getting better. Freddy is holding his own and more among grown men in a physically demanding league.

21. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Well, Dos Santos didn't need to score. He set up 8 goals in the World cup. He made Carlos Vela the tournament's topscorer. And won th WC's SIlver Ball despite not scoring.

22. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX

I dont need a million dollars, I have enough money right now.

Get the fvckouttahere! Every player, in every sport, that has ever played wants to score. If they can, they generally do. Final Post.

23. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

Thats saying ALOT...ha, ha, ha...who are those guys, anyway :confused:

24. OneArmSteve

OneArmSteve New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    What do you Mexican's have planned in the way of celebrating your 2nd place group finish? TIA.

I hear they have been having daily parades across the Rio Grande, but I thought that was generally just to celebrate days ending in -y so I'm not real sure.

25. apostolo1

apostolo1 New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Newton, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Freddy Adu is a spoiled brad with a big ego. He is behaving like a big soccer star – big time primadona. Unfortunately for him, on the one hand, his quality of play is just a little bit above the average MLS player, on the other, his arrogance is getting out of control (statements that he made about the US national team and also disagreements with DC coach Peter Novak). Freddy Adu is good enough for the DC reserve team, probably OK for the youth national team, but definitely not for the US Men’s National Team. He’s got a long way to go to become good player (at least 5/6 years if he’s healthy).