Is England a "World Power" in Soccer?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Jtsmith1, Mar 21, 2013.

?

Is England Powerhouse in International Soccer?

Poll closed Apr 11, 2013.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cow palace

cow palace Red Card

Apr 1, 2013
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just realised you said European championship AND WORLD CUP record.
    i'm speechless, I am without speech

2. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Premier League is arguably the best in the world. Is Major League Soccer even a top world league, even though it's largely ex-retired European players who go there? As for route one football, lol.. I doubt Sven Goran Eriksson or Capello (or any other continental coach) are noted for direct football. The US has never even produced a world class player, so doubt you would ever see your World Cup win.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USA has Jermaine Jones on Schalke 04 (fourth in Bundesliga and 15th in UEFA coefficients) and Michael Bradley on AS Roma (seventh in Serie A and 42nd in UEFA coefficients).

The USA may have gotten worse since then, but USA and England ended 1-1 in the World Cup.

4. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Just STOP embarassing yourself, mate: the various questionable occurences that went on at the '50 WC Finals are all documented parts of the history of the game.

Match No.31 and No.32 in these Norman Giller reports mention incidents such as the two blatantly waved-off penalties v. Spain and the like:

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/matchrsl/SumsGiller1946-50.html

So, once again, stick w/arguing w/your mates over who's the best knuckleball pitcher of all-time over pints down at yer local, mate...]

lanman repped this.
  5. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Dempsey is a quality player by US standards; but he isn't half of the calibre that David Platt was IMO. Let alone the likes of Sir Bobby Charlton or Kevin Keegan...]

6. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's hard to claim you produced Jones, he's German and has never played for an American club at any point. Bradley is a decent player, not really quality though.

7. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, you can't say we were the same then just because we drew in 1 game. i.e. Spain lost to Switzerland and Germany lost to Serbia in the same tournament.

8. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If you're English, then yes they are a powerhouse.
    If you're not English, then no they are not a powerhouse.

That basically sums it up.

9. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be fair, If we could win penalty shoot outs, then no doubt our record in both would be better. If we had won penalty shootouts, we would have reached at least the following stages in these years:

2012 - Semi final
    2006 - Semi final
    2004 - Semi final
    1998 - Quarter final
    1996 - Final
    1990 - Final

Obviously, our record would be much better and we would probably receive a lot less stick than we do now.

10. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Hahaha! And if the US were able to score more goals than Germany in their 2002 WC quarterfinal match, they would've reached the semis! And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bicycle! ;)

And all those English players who play for one of the world's very top clubs didn't do them a lick of shit of good in the two of the last three World Cups where they advanced no further than the US. :D

Polemarch repped this.
  11. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    And how is it that England wasn't able to beat an American side in the 2010 World Cup that they were far superior to, position by position? The fact is that England consistently choke on the big stage. I attribute it to mental weakness, possible arising from all the inbreeding that goes along with being an island nation. ;)

Polemarch repped this.
  12. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    The doctors botched Wayne Rooney's lobotomy. Beckham's panties were too tight. Their fullbacks didn't spend enough time in training working on kicking the ball far. Their strikers didn't spend enough time in training working on chasing the ball... ;)

lajake repped this.
  13. cow palace

cow palace Red Card

Apr 1, 2013
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure whatever you say guv'na,
    we should just write off any world cup or euro that involved a controversial decision or two.
    this accounts for pretty much every tornament that's been played.

with your mediocre record I can understand how you brits would be happy to start again from scratch but you'll just have to be content with what you have, one moment of glory achieved in very dubious circumstances and very little else.

14. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Never occurred to you guys that all England players are extremely over rated because their league is financially sound and stable?

I know marketing is strong but even if you market the shit out of a pig, put some glasses on it and lipstick and make it look really good... it's still a pig, and eventually it will lay down on the mud along with the other pigs and not go anywhere..

Sounds like England doesn't it?

Mosan, JAIME CHILE, Polemarch and 3 others repped this.
  15. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the refs fault the last World Cup.
    Gerrard goal should have counted and would have stopped the Germans from attacking their backline :)

HartwickFan repped this.
  16. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you define a world power?? If it's top 10 in the world i'd put them in there. If were talking perennial championship contenders, then probably not. I think they are capable of winning a world cup, but i don't remember any point where i saw them as a favorite. I always saw them as one of those teams just outside the favorites, as in if they get hot at the right time, they have the talent to pull it off.

17. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    What is your top 10?

18. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They are the favorites in their own mind, though, at every World Cup

19. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[It was FRA NK LAMPARD'S goal that was controversially not counted v. Germany: NOT Gerrard's... :rolleyes:]

20. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What do you mean how is it England weren't able to beat a worse team than them? If the favorites won every game then no one would bother to watch football. Like I said, how was it that Spain failed to beat Switzerland, and Germany failed to beat Serbia? How was it France and Italy managed to finish bottom of their groups without winning a game between them?

21. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The only reason british players play for top clubs in premier league is because they are local kids. Simple as that it's better for the marketability of the league and you cant have all foreigners. Clubs with too many foreigners in premier league get criticized all the time by fans and the media. But the foreigners are who drive the premier league not the local ones. How many english or british players are wanted by top clubs outside england? or how many play outside the premier league? You take the foreigners out of premier league and it becomes a worst league than MLS.

[]__[]

Polemarch and HartwickFan repped this.
  22. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

["Howls, HOWLS of derisive laughter, Bruce!!" :D & :rolleyes:]

23. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[So Americans for whom English is also (presumably) their first language also don't get the idea of "red top journalism" either... :thumbsup: & :rolleyes:]

dbs235 repped this.
  24. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There are better English/British players in the Championship than in the MLS. It is true that the big clubs sometimes buy English players that aren't good enough to make the English players quotas, but it doesn't really apply to anyone who is actually in the England squad. Unless you are suggesting that Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard ect only ever get/got played because they were English......

25. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought my memory was better than that but it was Lampard