Is Eddie Johnson a top 3 all time foward?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Jlpurelove, Jul 27, 2017.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Wood I can def see scoring in tournaments

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ was a goal every 3 match striker. He is behind Deuce, LD, and Jozy but in the same league as Wynalda and McBride by that metric.

Wood and Morris currently average a goal every 4 match and need to pick up the pace.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Morris won't be catching up unless he plays in every january cap or gets starts against Barbados/Guatemala. Wood though should get chances to get to 20 goals by the time he's done.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood's got goals against better competition already. And he's got ~7 or so years to get 11 or more goals.

Morris has 10+ years (he's 22, remember) to get 14 more goals.

I just don't think 19 in 60-something is a particularly high bar. And the "almost a goal every 3 matches" is a silly statistic, putting him slightly behind Wondo, and waaay behind Alan Gordon, of 0.5 Goals/Game fame.

EJ's behind LD, Deuce, and Jozy, and Wynalda and McBride have way more goals, caps, and more important ones to boot. McBride's got 26 competitive goals, including at the World Cup. Wynalda's competitive goal record matches EJ's career tally at 19, and once again, he scored in a World Cup.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think Wood and Morris can likely surpass him.

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Zardes is sort of a 2nd Gen GAM, if you're into the Pokémon analogy. Zardes has the same general athleticism and same poor touch, but is a much smarter player and makes much more intelligent runs. Probably a product of increased exposure to the game growing up.

You can't underestimate how valuable in a way being able to watch 20 games on TV every weekend in terms of learning certain things.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't just count goals. Teams play much more often these days. I mean Bert Patenaude has a World Cup hat trick on his resume.

LD & Duece played a lot of midfield, but they have to be 1&2. McBride #3. Wynalda #4.

After that? Stewart. Max-Moore. Altidore. That is the next tier. Murray & Patenaude. Cobi Jones is the cap leader. That is 10.

EJ is in the tier after that. Mathis & Davies for what briefly was. Wolff.