Is current round of MLS expansion a failure?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by jabbaahabbaa, Dec 22, 2017.

1. whereiend

whereiend Member

Dec 26, 2014
    I don't understand this comparison. Precourt was buying a franchise that nobody else wanted. Sac is an expansion bid. Totally different situations...

2. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Franchises were cheaper to operate and worth half as much when Precourt bought in. He wouldn't be courted as an owner now. There are enough billionaires who are interested that it isn't worthwhile to add someone who will already have trouble keeping up. I will be surprised if the league ever adds another team that doesn't have billionaires as the majority owners, and shocked if there's one without a billionaire owning at least a quarter.

3. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone think Precourt would pass the vetting test today? Seems like he fails on every level. What successful buisness did he run again?

4. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    No, he wouldn't pass the test.

catfish9 repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U
    It's not MLS' fault that Sacramento can't get their act together.

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it a little silly to call something that hasn't actually fully manifested itself a failure? At this stage when Atlanta was announced, generally people were calling it a bad idea and saying it'll fail. We know how that turned out. Miami... yeah, well at least we can point to a proven track record there, but still, maybe the right tools will be used this time.

7. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    The answer to the question in the thread title is the same as the answer to the question: Did your team get in?

jaykoz3 repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expanding the league by 6 teams when it was in financial trouble was part of the problem. I think they also lost their national TV contract and sponsors as a result. There was also the massive economic depression and the success of indoor soccer, which in many cities attracted more fans than the local NASL team.

9. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number is the same. 24 for the NASL's peak and now 24 for MLS. But the big difference between NASL expansion and MLS expansion is the breakneck speed with which the NASL expanded, making you wonder whether there was any vetting process at all. The NASL went from eight teams in 1972 to 24 teams in 1978. Between the 1977 and 1978 seasons, four teams folded, but they added 10 expansion teams. Ten in one year!!!

I used to worry that MLS was expanding too much, because I remembered the NASL's downfall (I was 39 when it folded). But then I realized how much faster the NASL expanded than what MLS is doing, and that eased my worries quite a bit. MLS is being a lot more selective about expansion.

10. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were 3 ownership groups from Columbus who had significant offers on the table. Hunts Sport Group was looking to add a local minority owner in the 10-20 million dollar category. Precourt Over Paid for the Crew is why he ended up them, not that there wasn't local interests.

Remember the expansion fee in 2013 was 50 Million. Precourt paid a league record 68 Million to acquire the whole team. No one anticipated (except maybe Precourt) the tripling of the expansion fee just 4 years later.