Is Bryan Ruiz the best player in the Concacaf region?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MoRado, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    Imo, he's been the best player out of this region since he was lighting up the Mexican league and Mexican national team.

2. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have to agree...I would say the top 10 are

1. Javier Hernandez
    2. Bryan Ruiz
    3. Clint Dempsey
    4. Landon Donovan
    5. Rafael Marquez (I know he's aging, but he's still a terrific defender)
    6. Tim Howard
    7. Wilson Palacios
    8. Carlos Vela (He really needs to get out of Arsenal though and get some playing time)
    9. Kenwyne Jones
    10. Oguchi Onyewu (Though he's been injured for awhile)

3. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm pretty sure Gio, Guardado and Juarez should be in the list. of the ..., only Donovan deserves to be in the list, the rest of the nads have no real individual talent to be among the top ten. imho;)

4. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Juarez not yet and Gio has not done much at the club level. Dempsey definitely belongs on the list but Gooch not so much.

5. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I would even throw Kenwyne Jones higher on that list. Holden and Dempsey seem to be doing well out of the yanks abroad section.

6. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Jermaine Jones should probably be on the list now.

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is true.... but Chicharito is just being amazing as of late.

Jones is consistent, and has had this respect already, but hasnt reached 'superstar' status yet.... Chicharito is starting tgo build ALOT of hype.... I hope the kid can keep it up though.

Jones has been playinjg well for Schalke though, a goal and a couple assists if i remember right in the CL.

8. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I figured people would disagree with Onyewu, but I mean previous guys who were mentioned, the Mexicans in particular are no better than he is, I mean it's wide open for #10 in general. I just threw in who I thought #10 in my opinion was. Jermaine Jones is another excellent option though.

My biggest surprise is that no one complained about my inclusion of Palacios. I have him there because he's actually an excellent midfielder, and Im glad no one (well not yet anyways) has given me hell for that lol

Among countries that weren't represented in the top 10 I only considered 2 Canadians (Hutchinson and De Rosario), 2 Jamaicans (Fuller and Shelton), and one Panamanian (Blas Perez). It's clear that the best players are for the most part from US/Mexico/CR/Honduras

9. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Palacios is good.. no dispute there.

10. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    fyp...Chicha being dominant isn't something that just happened as of a few games ago.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    At the highest level in europe he has. Before that he was semi' unproven outside of mexico.

He is showing his value though now, and hopefully he can only keep getting better.

12. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i'd replace either Onyewu or Vela with Guardado

no doubt Chicharito is #1 though :cool:

13. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    definitely not.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What! Buddle scored 17 goals in 25 games. how is he not the best? :D

http://www.transfermarkt.de/en/edson-buddle/leistungsdaten/spieler_26825.html

Definite scoring in the big 4 is more impressive than scoring in other leagues, the champions is also impressive even when scoring against teams from small leagues.

The Eredivisie is not as impresive as before, outside the top 3 teams the rest of the league is average in my opinion.

I would also be impressed if concacaf players could play in the Brazilian league, any concacaf players down there?

Lets see:

Ruiz had 4 goals and 4 assists, but they have been against the "other 15", and no goals in the Champions.

Hernandez has scored 6 goals and 1 assist, of the 3 league goals have been against "not top 5" but he scored in the Champions and he did score against Chelsea :eek:.

So by that Hernandez is definite the best forward in concacaf at the moment.

Now Best of the Best?

Now Forwards get a lot of hype, are forwards always the best players? Maybe, so if forwards are the best players, then yes Hernandez is the best player in concacaf.

Palacios (injured right?) and Dempsey should receive considerations as best midfielders (Donovan for best National team midfielder)

Onyewu* and Salcido as best defenders (any Central American/Caribbean that I am forgetting?)

And Howard as best goalkeeper.

* Onyewu has not played much this year (1 game) so I am mostly going on talent and the fact that I do not know many Defenders of his category outside Bocanegra and Maza Rod. I am sure that there got to be CB or FB that are getting PT right now that could be considered better that Onyewu.

15. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Just to let you guys know...Bryan Ruiz is playing as a attacking/creative midfielder this season under new coach Prued'homme...IMO his level of play is better this year especially since he is pretty good at creating danger and defending.

But I gotta give props to Chicharrito...he is proving to be a stud with a World Class team like Man United...he is definitely the best foward in Concacaf. This kid is also very humble which makes me not hate him even though Mexico is a rival of Costa Rica in CONCACAF :D.

I also think Gilberto Martinez should be considered top 10 in CONCACAF....he has played every minute this season with Brescia in Serie A playing at a high level...it's too bad his team has no offense at all...but Tuma seems to be back to his old days after 3 years of injury. I'm also pretty sure that Ricardo Lavolpe will call him up for Costa Rica because he is by far our best defender.

16. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bryan Ruiz is a beast in FIFA 11 :D that is all

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still too early on Holden -- maybe he'll be that kinda good, maybe not.

Dempsey is way too inconsistent for me. At his best, he looks really good; but he disappears too much of the time. And his first touch is still too poor. And I say all that as a fan.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's scoring less but he's far more important to team performance this season if that makes sense.

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    He was a beast against PSV. I don't know where he ranks against other CONCACAF players, but Ruiz is undoubtedly a great player in his own right, whether he's scoring goals or creating them.

20. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    I just hope he gives the same performances for the national team.

21. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you like your new coach?

22. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Not really to be honest, but he gets results. As long as he more or less gets along with the press and federation.

23. tico6666 redded

tico6666 redded Red Card

Apr 21, 2010
    Ruiz led his team to its first ever championship last season, just a few months back, and he scored 23 goals while not being a full-blown striker, this season he's playing even farther back, at a more creative and defensive role, and he's still scoring and assisting consistently, he plays a different role than Chicharito, who is amazing in his own right, so comparing the two isn't quite an equal match.

24. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think at the very least everyone should agree that they are the 2 best

25. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010