Is Bradley the Captain for the World Cup?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by mattjo, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a question. It seems to me that he basically acts like the captain now. He asserts his opinions and seems to make everybody better. He takes up publicly for his teammates. He demonstrates leadership and even challenges the coach at times. He plays much more controlled in the past. He handled the awkwardness of playing for a new coach who replaced his father with much aplumb. Would it upset the apple cart too much to give it to him>

2. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely.
    He sets the tone for that entire team and he leads by example.

SOCCERMARINE repped this.
  3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    except the manager doesn't see that. He prefers Dempsey.

mckersive repped this.
  4. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My view is that Klinsmann feels that Dempsey might benefit from having this title and used it as a man-management tactic, while always knowing that Bradley is the de facto captain, especially given his playing role, regardless of having the title. I also think Klinsmann views relative age & experience (if other factors are similar) as a determining factor.

5. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players always know whats up, Bradley is the heartbeat of that team.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think the manager does see that......................but Dempsey will be the captain for the 2014 WC. And that's great. We can have a bunch of guys with great leadership characteristics on the team. Tim Howard could be captain. Landon Donovan could be captain., etc. etc.

The "captain" of the national team doesn't have to be the best player (in fact rarely is) A lot of the key responsibilities of a captain are in the locker-room and away from the field that we don't get to see as fans.

Bradley will be the captain post-2014.

TabLalas repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Does it matter in the team's performances? It's an honor for the player, but materially what difference does it make to what the team is doing?

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Oddly enough, US Soccer put out a stat listing all the captain's of their club teams last night. Four in total. None named Dempsey, Donovan or Bradley.

9. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he is. The 2018 World Cup.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I would go Howard this time around. He's got the elder statesmen thing going and current form at a top level. Plus the defense deserves to be chewed out after every other play. They play like last night and it's going to get really ugly in our group.

11. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The effect of a captain; well I think there are potential effects depending on how the player embraces the role. It could be minimal or non-existant, especially if a player just takes it as an hnor (and I know that happens alot). However, I can imagine a "captain" of any organization having an important role in helping a team gel; especially in a national team. I have seen it in american football, rugby, soccer, etc. Here are some interesting articles about captain selection.

http://soccerlens.com/does-captaincy-decide-the-title-race/8253/
    http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamCapt/CaptainIndex.html
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...893304-manchester-uniteds-6-greatest-captains
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/football...n-gerrard-in-his-decision-to-stay-at-anfield/
    http://en.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=52749.html

12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, the captain is the only player technically allowed to talk to the ref. Love Mike, don't want him doing that (and I'm not so sure about Deuce in that role).

By nature of his position, Mike is a leader in the XI.

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim don't no armband to do that....

Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  14. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    That Clint Dempsey will continue to take penalties and free kicks when he is not the best by any stretch at either. That's my main problem with it. Particularly with penalties. Free kicks are rarely converted so it's not that big of a deal who takes them. With penalties, however, Dempsey taking them is a big liability. So I'm fine with him as the captain as long as someone else is designated to take penalties.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bradley should be captain and Howard vice captain.

But no way does JK yank it from Dempsey. That would cause some problems at the very least. I mean he probably shouldn't have given it to Dempsey in the beginning but probably figured Bradley (at 25) might have been too young for the task with so many vets and more likely candidates (Dempsey,Howard) around.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's only the English that put so much esteem in the captaincy. I can't think of any other nation that sees it like they do.

17. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Honestly, Mike's the captain right now and has been for a while, he just doesn't have the arm-band showing it to the world.

This will be rectified come August or so.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MB should be the captain but normally a coach won't take it away and give it to another active player without a flagrant cause.

19. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    should be, but like johnson as lb or jones as a player who doesnt stifle bradleys game he wont be.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah. Even Capello refused to ditch Terry even after all of his crap.

21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is important about the captain of a team?

if it is talking to refs...dempsey gotta be the pick. hes the slickest talker on the team.

if it is about symbolic leadership for motivating teammates...bradley would be better.

if it is about empowering players ....just let them vote on it.

22. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley is not a Captain. He is a Generalissimo

Anyway, the coaches and the players know who should be captain better than we ever will, so we just have to trust them I guess.

INKRO and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.