Is 2013-2014 Totti's Last Season?

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Roma_NY, May 30, 2013.

?

How should the club handle Totti's contract situation?

1. Offer Totti a new contract at the same wages

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Offer Totti a new contract at reduced wages

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Offer Totti a coaching/management position

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Don't offer Totti a new contract

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totti's contract is up after next season. To my knowledge, no talk of an extension is currently in place. Totti currently earns €8.6m per year. So I pose the question of how you think the club should handle his new contract?

It is a safe assumption that the vast majority of fans will want Totti resigned - but at what price? What if Totti doesn't like the wages offered? Should Totti play out his contract and then head to MLS/China/QAE/Australia?

The situation is very delicate based on how much Totti expects to be paid and how long he expects to be a starting player.

2. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He said he wants to play for AS Roma until he is 40, as long as he remains healthy, after this season and the way he played throughout, I actually believe he can do it.

However, slowly he will have to play less and less and begin nurturing a heir to his role, I think he knows and understand this, Totti is a very humble man for the godlike status he has in this city, I don't think money would be an issue as it was for DDR.

As for not offering him another contract??? I'll personally go to Pallotta's home and burn it to the ground.

3. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I swear to god it wasnt me that did "dont offer him a new contract"

reduced wages and reduced role would been my actual pick

4. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Totti should be offered a new contract whether it be the same wages or less. But lets not be ridiculous, Totti WILL be offered a new deal.

5. Giallorossi_10

Giallorossi_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma
    that man gave his entire career to us, even his prime years... and Totti in his prime could pick and choose, so if that man wants the same wages as he has now, give him the same wages!

6. chandler63

chandler63 Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I would just do 1yr contracts until he's done. Kind of like what Chelsea is doing for Lampard.

Neither Totti nor Roma are concerned with with loyalty so there's no need to get a long contract inked in hopes of guaranteed income or transfer fees. This just makes things easier on both parties.

Oban14, Big Tom, Andreas and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Who voted for ''Dont offer Totti a new contract''? :eek:

8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

Can any troll vote?

9. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    i dont even know how to vote on here.:confused:

10. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's not my money... give him the same contract.

11. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

I bet it was.

TheRossonero23

[​IMG][​IMG]

RomaWolf and Oban14 repped this.
  12. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    how do you vote?

13. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Never seen this thread before..

I'll vote for the 2nd option. It's the right thing to do.

14. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's great to see the attention we get on here, closet roma fans =p

15. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Give him new contract at reduced stages.I want to see him play at our new stadium, and i want him to retire with some championship. not this farce..
    plus the management did a well job to extend his career more.when we sign nobody's and have crappy players on our team, even at age 40 totti is going to outshine them and be important.

16. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We ask this question every summer, is Totti done? Il Capitano's answer 'no!'. The best thing I believe is to just give him yearly extensions until he retires from playing then move him into a managing/director role.

17. forza venti

forza venti Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MI
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think his role needs to start being severely reduced soon, though I love the guy, absolutely. He was basically the reason I started following Roma. I think his play will become more inconsistent, and the speed of the game has already shown at times to be catching up to him at times. There is still no one else quite like him.

I do feel the reigns need to start to be handed to someone else soon...if only to "see what they've got". I feel some of the younger players need to have their leash taken off and given more responsibility to truly have even have a CHANCE to develop, and the time will come soon (and already has, at times) where Totti needs to step back and let it happen. People may hate me for saying this, but Pjanic is one of those players - he needs to have a bit more leeway, and freedom. And that can't happen with the Totti blanket always covering. Would he succeed? Would he flourish? Would he fail? I have no idea, but that isn't really my point. It's more about the chance.

Anyway, I love Totti, sarà sempre il lupo

18. Imran_INDIA

Imran_INDIA Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
  19. Imran_INDIA

Imran_INDIA Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
  20. Imran_INDIA

Imran_INDIA Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
  21. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    he deserves to retire with a championship, not this shit.
    he should be first roma player to win 2 scudettos.
    feck

22. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have a big fear that Totti will leave Roma next summer for the great American retirement circle in the MLS. There is very little of the Roma he knows and grew up with left. I fear that will make it possible for him to walk away.

Should it happen it would be the worse blow. Totti can not play with another shirt, it must not be allowed.

23. chandler63

chandler63 Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I disagree only because I'd get to watch him play more. Im selfish like that.

24. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voted option 2, but I wouldn't be against option one if he was that worried about money. If the snowball keeps rolling downhill, the possibility of Totti being in the building would be the only thing preventing bomb threats.

25. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does the new NYCFC not start next summer? I wonder if they would look for a Totti like figure for their publicity. Buty I don't know how he is viewed in America.