Irish Abroad, 2007-2008 (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oddly enough, so did Shane Long

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Robbie Keane scored a superb late equalizer for Spurs today. 4-4 draw with Chelsea, what a match!

3. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As I predicted, Andy Reid IS keeping Sunderland up on his own. Vital winning goal vs West Ham today.

4. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The ref helped out a bit in that match, I don't think West Ham got a single call all match and once Cole went off (in part thanks to a seemingly undeserved yellow card) it was over for the Hammers, they seemed like they wanted to take a point...and what a miss by Murphy :( Between him and Andy O'Brien I don't remember the last time I've seen such dejection this year in the EPL

5. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I thought John O'Shea did really well at centre back for Manchester United tonight, after replacing Vidic in the first half. Didn't put a foot wrong.

He was also marking Montenegro's Vucinic, who really is a class player. Good experience for O'Shea.

6. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Noel Hunt scored against Rangers today.

And Stephen McPhail is off to Wembley for the FA Cup Final with Cardiff.

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Aiden McGeady (along with Scott MdConald, Carlos Cuellar and Barry Robson) has been shortlisted for the SPL Player of the Year award.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  10. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hamilton were promoted today.

11. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week Joe Lapira scored a brace in his Nybergsund debut as they won their home opener against Bryne.

12. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What's happened to Steve Finnan?

Up to a couple of months ago he was one o fthe first names on the Liverpool teamsheet, but can't even get on the bench these days. Is it just loss of form? Or has he still not fully recovered from his injury?

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Both actually. Since his recovery from injury, his positioning and tactical nous seem to have deserted him. He is not as confident or as accomplished as heretofore.

14. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, let's hope he gets his form bakc and comes back into the Irish fold.

Stephen Kelly will likely be in the Championship next year, and at the best of times I wouldn't fancy him against Martin Petrov et al.

15. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Daryl Murphy scored an excellent header for Sunderland for a late winner against Middlesbrough this afternoon. That goal ensures Sunderland's survival. How many has he scored this season?

Stephen Ireland also scored for Man City in a 3-2 loss to Fulham.

16. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nope, Murphy's goal was an own goal in the end, Pogatetz. He only has two or three this season I think

17. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He still did really well - has every right to claim the goal in fairness.

I've seen it a bunch of times - if there was a deflection it was very slight. It'll go to the dubious goals committee I guess.

In any case, I was really really impressed with Murphy's cameo. Andy Reid was quite good - though didn't get much time or space on the ball so his influence wasn't as great as in previous matches. Miller did really well for Chopra's goal but I thought he was generally poor.

18. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I didn't knock it, I just stated that the goal was not credited to him. I've often wondered what matters more in the long run, being the one who caused the goal or the one who scored it. In the long run, no one will remember that he did well and caused the goal to be scored, they'll simply look down at the stats and see no goals from February on. Of course, it is good for him in the short term as it will give him confidence and Roy would be more likely to give him more time which would mean more opportunities to score and maybe even Tardelli or Brady was there to report on it. Unless they have some complex stats that are like Own Goals Forced or something, I doubt it will matter in the long term. It isn't right, but it happens in all sports.

Thats why I prefer how they do it in ice hockey, last person on the team who scores to touch it gets the goal

19. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    After seeing it in good quality, it appears it would have been a flick on and Pogatetz puts it in his own goal, though it wasn't the best angle

20. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  21. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good to see O'Dea back in action.

Liam Lawrence was in the Championship PFA Team of the Season.

22. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Any thoughts as to what Sven's impending sacking will mean for Stephen Ireland?

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    ...that his fate will be at the hands of an utter, top-of-the-line, move-over-Hicks-Gillett-cos-here-comes-captain retard chairman?

Seriously, I have no clue as to Ireland's future, but if Sven does get the sack then suddenly Sam Allardyce is robbed of his 'most wronged manager 07/08' award.

24. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some think Ireland will go to Sunderland (I can't remember if this is Sunderland or Ireland fans)

25. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I've heard that as well, but I personally don't really see it happening. It is far from impossible, but if Keano can get Fatman Reid in good enough shape to play the full 90 minutes over the course of a season, he has got himself a gem for that level of a club. Especially as Reid seems to fit their team so well when he has played lately, and may be reaching that Richard Dunne 'now or never' point of taking the game seriously and treating his talent and physique with respect.