Ireland v Poland (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Jan 21, 2013.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Squad announced for Feb. 6th friendly! Lots of talking points:

Ireland (vs Poland): Keiren Westwood, David Forde, Stephen Henderson, Ciaran Clark, Darren O’Dea, Paul McShane, Seamus Coleman, Richard Keogh, Richard Dunne*, Greg Cunningham, Stephen Ward, Anthony Pilkington, James McClean, Robbie Brady, Aiden McGeady, Glenn Whelan, James McCarthy, Jeff Hendrick, David Meyler, Wes Hoolahan, Simon Cox, Shane Long, Jon Walters, Andy Keogh, Kevin Doyle, Conor Sammon.

*Dunne on standby.

The selection of the Derby trio is directly related to Trapattoni attending matches in England. He has seen them twice in the last three weeks, and obviously liked what he saw. Such callups would have been inconceivable in August. I'm not sure if Sammon really has what it takes to excel at international level... was never too impressed with his form for Wigan. But with Caleb Folan having gone to Malaysia, he's probably the only genuine "target man" we have at our disposal. Worth a chance.... though his inclusion from the start would only re-inforce agricultural 4-4-2 hoofball tactics, which have been proven time and time again to be ineffectual in modern international football.

I'm baffled as to why Joey O'Brien isn't in the squad. He is back fit for West Ham, and playing quite well. Nice to see Greg Cunningham involved again, though.

I also don't buy that Stephen Kelly is "rested." The lad has played two or three competitive matches since August. Darron Gibson's involvement in the Ireland setup remains a mystery, as he is currently injured.

Finally, it will be great to see Pilkington in an Irish shirt! Quite a lot to look forward to in this one.

PS - Just seen Seamus Coleman go off injured for Everton with a thigh strain.

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Darren O'Dea is going to stay in Toronto for pre-season training, so Alex Pearce has been called up. Don't think too many Irish supporters will be put out by this piece of news.

3. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    McGeady and Pilkington out. Unfortunate.

4. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    David Meyler has also withdrawn, Paul Green called up to replace him. This actually doesn't bother me that much. Green is sixth- or seventh-choice in central midfield, which is about where he should be.

Darron Gibson was called up, but declined citing fitness concerns. We will know more about his commitment ot the squad in March.

It'll be an interesting team selection. McClean and Brady are the only two wingers we have... unless Trapattoni chooses to to play Hoolahan out wide. We might also go with a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 with some combo of Cox/Walters/Long/Keough in the wide attacking positions.

Team will likely be named tomorrow.

5. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Starting XI:

-------------------Forde-------------------
    McShane, O'Shea, Clark, Cunningham
    Brady, Whelan, McCarthy, McClean
    ----------Sammon, Long---------------

Looks like a fairly agricultural 4-4-2. I hope we don't start this way against Sweden and Austria... though at the same time I'm looking forward to seeing Cunningham, McCarthy and Brady.

6. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A good 2-0 win for Ireland! As usual, we really struggled to keep possession in the first half. But Clark took his goal well. Second half much better. Paul Green came on and, credit where it's due, did really well. Wes Hoolahan came on and he really adds something our other players don't: composure and technical ability. Jeff Hendrick's touch to set up Hoolahan's goal was sublime. Overall, a highly satisfying outing!