Ireland v Germany/Kazakhstan (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Oct 6, 2013.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Although they are dead-rubber fixtures, Ireland's final two World Cup Qualifiers mark the beginning of the post-Trapattoni era. Noel King is in charge, and I'm sure he will instruct the players to adopt a more "continental", possession-based approach, with some variation of of 4-5-1/4-3-3 in both matches. Germany will be a backs to the wall job, but I'm actually quite keen to see how we get on at home against the lower-ranked Kazakhs. Big questions about whether Irish players are capable of playing "modern" international football will begin to be answered.

And the matches aren't totally meaningless. If we can get, say, 4 points and some other results go our way, Ireland could, remarkably, still be second seeds for Euro 2016 qualifying.

Final Irish squad:

Forde, Henderson, Elliott, O'Brien, St Ledger, Wilson, Coleman, Kelly, Clark, Delaney, Gibson, Whelan, McCarthy, Green, A Reid, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Hoolahan, Long, Keane , Doyle, Stokes.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Shame that Robbie Brady is out. He's been great for Hull

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Robbie Keane definitely been called up for this one since the game are close to meaningless and the Galaxy have a big weekend fixture, or did Arena somehow get him to stay in LA this weekend?

4. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes, Robbie is definitely in Dublin. Will captain the side if he starts according to King.

German squad:

Goalkeepers

Rene Adler (Hamburger SV), Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern München), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96)

Defenders

Jérome Boateng (FC Bayern München), Benedikt Höwedes (FC Schalke 04), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburger SV), Philipp Lahm (FC Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal)

Midfielders

Julian Draxler (FC Schalke 04), Mario Götze (FC Bayern München), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (FC Bayern München), Thomas Müller (FC Bayern München), Mesut Özil (Arsenal), Sidney Sam(Bayer Leverkusen), André Schürrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (FC Bayern München)

Forwards

Max Kruse (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

5. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ically-deficient-ireland-in-cologne-1.1555426

Germany obviously expect to thump us, and in fairness it's probably one of those matches where at full time we ask ourselves "what positive can we take from that?"

Any lineup predictions? I'll go with

------------------Forde-----------------
    Coleman, St. Ledger, Clark, Wilson
    ------------McCarthy, Gibson------------
    McGeady-------Reid-----------Pilkington
    -------------------Keane-----------------

Though there are a lot of other possibilities. Dropping Glenn Whelan would be a big call, and both Stokes and Shane Long have a good chance of starting too.

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That was very harsh from Low, I suppose he's right but hasn't any respect for us. So remind me again about all the competitions Germany has won since 1996 considering the resources they have, 80 million population etc.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Game is live on ESPN2 in USA.

8. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Very strange, very defensive XI for Ireland:

Forde, Coleman, Clark, Delaney, Kelly, Gibson, Wilson, Whelan, McCarthy, Doyle, Stokes.

9. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I am at work watching this on my ESPN app. Amazing.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The same with Robbie Keane yesterday. Löw went right onto the field to talk to two of his players who got slight injuries during the game - and that instead of giving shake-hands to the Irish coach. When Löw came back Keane - kinda offended - told Löw what to do and Löw did give a shakehands. The German commentators stressed during the game Irelands good performance but were puzzled by this proud and respect thing that probably could be found only with you guys. Puzzled in the sense of "proud of what?". And Löw just gave his realistic opinion. I cannot see where he was disrespectful. If he'd told the Faroers they'd probably never win the WC, would that have been disrespectful?

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Another stupid lineup. Was Whelan really at right mid? Thats what RTE was saying.

12. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    He sure was. Bizarre line up, but could see what King was trying to do. 10 men behind the ball with the hopes to catch them on the counter. Not sure why he just didn't go for it. What had he got to lose? Not making any substitutions the whole game, even an armchair coach could see we were crying for a change after the second goal. A lot of the lads looked knackered out there. I thought Stokes had a good game, albeit his finishing let him down on a number of occasions, but he was a far better threat than Keane has been for the past two years. Very disappointing match none the less.

13. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well at least that's over.

Time to bring in Fit Finlay as manager.

14. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I remember Mick McCarthy saying years ago (before a match against Andorra) that when playing a lower ranked team like Andorra or Kazakhstan, the better side could never win. That was very much the case last night. Ireland were average at best, but it was still a perfectly comfortable win. And it was nice to see us actually try and pass the ball for once.