Ireland v England/Scotland (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, May 31, 2015.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Two huge weekends for Irish soccer upcoming. A friendly vs England at the Aviva Stadium next Sunday morning, then the massive EC Qualifier vs Scotland in Dublin on Saturday, June 13th. That is pretty much a must-win after the disappointment in Glasgow in November.

First thought: Is the England match an unwelcome distraction from the serious business against Scotland in two weeks?

Final Irish squad:

Goalkeepers: David Forde (Millwall), Shay Given (Aston Villa), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Darren Randolph (Birmingham)

Defenders: Richard Keogh (Derby County), Marc Wilson (Stoke City), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Derby County), John O’Shea (Sunderland), Alex Pearce (Reading), Paul McShane (unattached), Stephen Ward (Burnley)

Midfielders: James McCarthy (Everton), Jeff Hendrick (Derby County), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Aiden McGeady (Everton), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Robbie Brady (Hull City), Stephen Quinn (Hull City), David Meyler (Hull City), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City)

Forwards: Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Ipswich Town), Jon Walters (Stoke City), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town)

2. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Who remembers what happened the last time England came to visit. Good times!

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Jezes 20 years ago already. I feel old.

Fun starts about 39 minutes in. Fingers crossed it won't be the same shyte this time.

4. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'll be arriving in Dublin that day. Hopefully there won't be any problems.

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Is it on TV anywhere in the US?

6. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  7. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ireland 0-0 England. The match itself was a dull affair, but from the Irish perspective there were quite a few positives which hopefully should increase confidence ahead of the serious business on Saturday. For at least 75 of the 90 minutes, we created the better chances and looked the more likely winners against a team ranked well above us - though admittedly we were holding on a bit for the last 10-15 (after Whelan and McCarthy had been taken off).

Goalscoring is still a major problem for Ireland - and the biggest call O'Neill has to make is to start Robbie Keane or not. Robbie was benched in Glasgow, and that didn't work, but was very poor when started against Poland. Personally, I would play 4-4-1-1 with Hoolahan behind Long. Bring Keane on for the last 25 minutes. Whether or not to start McGeady is another big question. He was shocking in Glasgow, but looked quite sharp in the first half yesterday. I would start McGeady and bring McClean off the bench.

Scotland will be another battle. I thought we had the quality to win in Glasgow, and still think we have the quality to win on Saturday, but any result is possible. Set pieces may be key, and with Brady in the side we might have a significant edge there.

malby and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Hopefully we win here. Important match this coming weekend.

9. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Great trainspotting-inspired promo video by RTE! Match day is here; haven't felt this nervous about a game in a long time. McGeady (hamstring) and Robbie Keane (family bereavement) are doubtful.

10. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Starting XI: Given, Coleman, Wilson, O'Shea, Brady, Hendrick, McCarthy, Whelan, Hoolahan, Walters, Murphy.

Lots of surprises! No Long, Keane, McClean, McGeady.

11. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Phew! I've got to say, I think I aged 10 years during the last 20 minutes of that game. Obviously a huge point for us and, barring a collapse on our part, Ireland will find it difficult to overtake us although I'd be delighted if you boys could pick up a point (or 3) in Warsaw.

Obviously, player for player and in the two games there's little to choose between the sides but Ireland's record in games against equal or better opponents really has been shocking in recent years. Plenty of credible draws but next to no wins in important group games.

What do you guys put that down to. A too cautious mentality, an inferiority complex? I saw a few Ireland fans who were pretty annoyed that they felt Scotland were being talked up way too much before the game.

Strachan has obviously made a huge difference to us. It's largely the same group of players who have had fairly dismal campaigns for the last 4 years. But we look a far more confident side now. I know he's not had long in the job but do you guys feel Martin O'neil isn't up to the job. Looking northwards, you might feel you got the wrong O'Neil.