Iraqi Premier League 2016-17

Discussion in 'Iraq' started by Yas-The-Gunner, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    It's the winger :)

2. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Samer Saeed and Mustafa Karim to Naft Al-Wasat

3. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
  4. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Luis Ramos (Honduran player) signed for Zawraa.

5. irak101

irak101 Member

Aug 18, 2016
    From socceriraq

Younis Mahmoud put an end to retirement speculation today (Thursday) as he penned a one-year extension with Al-Talaba.

The former-Iraq captain, who first joined the club in 2001, spent last season under Ayoub Odisho’s guidance. The Baghdad club finished the season in third place, their highest Iraqi Premier League position in six years.

Mahmoud rejected a contract offer from Al-Shorta last year and his loyalty has remained with Al-Talaba this season as Al-Minaa, Al-Quwa Al-Jawiya and Naft Al-Wasat all reportedly approached the Iraq legend this month.

It appears the striker has a clause on his contract meaning he is now the official Al-Talaba representative at the FA General Assembly, allowing Mahmoud to move one step closer to his dream in becoming the FA President.

looked for information on this, could only find this below - funny that I know they have previous over copying (bt there is no other info i dont think there is any confirmation that he is the official represenative at the club to run for president)

6. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I don't know if you're aware but recently I joined SoccerIraq and will be covering news about the Iraqi league for their site, so seeing as I'm part of their team I may as well talk about this. Basically what happened with this article was that one of the writers told me he wanted to write an article about Younis renewing his Talaba contract, and because I have more knowledge about Iraqi league than the other writers, he asked me for some info. So I told him that Younis had rejected Minaa, Jawiya and Wasat to stay at Talaba (the source I used for that is: http://www.dotemirates.com/ar/details/2215539?from=dot) and some other stuff from my own knowledge. I also told him about Younis being representative at the general assembly. The source I used for that was actually an article on the Kooora forums (http://forum.kooora.com/f.aspx?t=36472709) that was written in the early hours of 30 August that I added to my bookmarks on that day. The tweet by Hassanin was in the early hours of 31 August, by that time I was already aware of this information so that sentence you highlighted in bold would still have been in the article even if he didn't tweet it.

I know that SoccerIraq copied some tweets from Hassanin in the past (before I joined) without giving credit which I agree is completely wrong, but trust me when I say this isn't one of those cases. If an article that we write has come from only one source (as opposed to multiple sources) then credit will be given - proof of that is this article: http://socceriraq.net/2016/08/24/u-16-wt-al-jawiya-ahmed-yasin-and-more-weekly-round-up-230816/ where credit was given to the Iraqi journalist Sami Aissa at the start of the article. I follow Hassanin's Twitter and have always had great respect for him (he has helped me and given me very useful info about the Iraqi league history in the past) so I will make sure that if we do take something from his Twitter page in the future for whatever reason, he will get credit for it.

7. irak101

irak101 Member

Aug 18, 2016
    #32 irak101, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    what i wanted to know is younes going be become part of the fa to become president because i dont know what it means is it official will he be runnig for president?

8. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Well he has said multiple times that he wants to become the FA president so I assume he is going to run for president at the nearest opportunity he gets, I don't know how long that will be though because I don't know all the procedures and what position you have to be to be eligible to run etc. Usually, the president of each Iraqi league club represents their club at the FA General Assembly, but if it is true, Younis will be Al-Talaba's representative instead. Which would mean he would be in contact with FA members there, which would obviously get him closer to where he wants to be. Who knows, maybe he will end up becoming Al-Talaba president first and then becoming Iraqi FA president, which would probably make more sense and I believe that is the route that Abdul Khaliq Masoud took (he was at Arbil before becoming FA president if I'm not mistaken).

Iraqilambo and irak101 repped this.
  9. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraqilambo repped this.
  10. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Al-Kass chose to broadcast the following teams in season 2016-17:

• Zawraa
    • Jawiya
    • Talaba
    • Shorta
    • Naft Al-Wasat
    • Minaa
    • Erbil

11. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    They are only broadcasting matches that involve two of these teams. That means they are only showing 42 games out of 380, and as of yet no other channels have bought the rights for the league! Which means we won't even be able to watch most of the league games unless one of the Iraqi channels can afford to buy the rights.

12. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I think Ishtar is trying to buy the right for the league.

13. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
  14. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Kahraba 0-2 Zawraa
    Minaa 3-1 Hussein
    Najaf 1-0 Bahri

15. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Shorta 1-1 Talaba. It was an exciting match, good way to start the league. Both teams missed many easy chances though and some of the defending was poor.

This is a link the league table: http://socceriraq.net/league-table. I'll be keeping this page updated throughout the season hopefully.

16. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Tommorow's matches:

Karkh - Erbil
    Baghdad - Samawa
    Hudood - Karbala
    Naft Maysan - Naft Janoob
    Naft Al-Wasat - Naft

17. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Low blow in Iraqi football.. After the final whistle of the Erbil - Hudood game that ended 2-2, the home crowd at Franso Hariri Stadium began to attack the Hedood coach and players.

https://www.facebook.com/iraqgfpg/videos/1482730155076077/

When will the FA stand up and put sanctions on Erbil? This is not the first time and certainly not the last time that incidents like this happen. (Iraq FA president was president of Erbil club though :rolleyes:).

18. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    • Shorta vs Naft match has been postponed because Naft has 4 players playing in the AFC U-19 Championship...
    • FA decided that any team that withdraws from the Iraqi FA Cup will be deducted 3 points in the league. This is after 8 teams withdrew from the competition last season without facing any sanctions.
    • Iraqi FA Cup will start in the middle of November.

19. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    19 year old Erbil player Salih Mohammed died today from kidney failure :( RIP

Iraqilambo and Yas-The-Gunner repped this.
  20. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    RIP :(

By the way, is anyone else excited for this season? Unlike the last two seasons we are finally back to the normal league format. And unlike previous seasons, the league isn't being dominated by one or two clubs. It's very competitive now. Yes Zawraa did win the league unbeaten last season but they've already lost a game this season and there's only been 2 games. Jawiya, Zawraa, Naft Wasat, Shorta, Minaa, Talaba etc are all fighting for the title and then you have got teams like Baghdad, Naft and Zakho who are not far off the others. I don't think we will ever see a season as good as the 2012/2013 season was, because that season there were 5 genuine title contenders who all got close and 3 of them were all still able to win the league on the last day! But hopefully we are going to get back to that level of competitiveness again soon. And on top of that we now have the FA Cup too. If the IFA can stop this postponing matches nonsense and actually organise the league properly then we could have a great season.

Suren01 repped this.
  21. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I'm always excited for the league, especially when my team Zawraa does well :D
    We just need to keep on improving the stadiums, facilities, employing fitness coaches, broadcasting.

22. Iraqipower

Iraqipower Member

Oct 20, 2015
    I heard that Al Naft youth player Ali Saadi died during a terrorist attack at a funeral in Al Shaab City. RIP.

Kroosinator and Suren01 repped this.
  23. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
  24. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Naft Al-Wasat will play Al-Jaish (Syria) in the qualification rounds of the Arab Club Cup. UAFA allowed Wasat to play in Erbil, to promote the lifting of the ban.

Yas-The-Gunner repped this.
  25. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Games will be played on 6/12 and 10/12 at Franso Hariri Stadium in Erbil.