Iraqi Premier League 2016-17

Discussion in 'Iraq' started by Yas-The-Gunner, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Season will start on September 15. Iraqi FA have announced that this season, the group stage system is abolished and the league returns to the normal format of all 20 teams playing each other home and away, meaning each team plays 38 games in the season.

The 2 promoted teams from the lower division have yet to be decided, as the Iraqi Division 1 is still going on (the final stage consisting of 12 teams started today).

Post all transfer news here - I'll start it off: Shorta has appointed Egyptian coach Mohamed Youssef as manager, the same manager they had at the start of the 2014/15 season. Also, Jalal Hassan may leave Shorta because he has offers from Arbil, Baghdad, Minaa and Talaba.

Suren01 repped this.
  2. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Amjad Radhi signed for Al-Quwa Al-Jawiya

3. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Good signing by Jawiya. Amjad will probably need some time to get his fitness back because he hasn't played for a long time, but if Amjad has still got the quality, him and Hammadi could be deadly for Jawiya like they were about 5 years back. I always think how much of a shame it is that Amjad was so poor for Iraq. I mean he is one of the top scorers in Iraqi League history, and he plays over 30 matches for the national team with just 2 goals.

Also, I know it's not related to this season but thought I would share this amusing picture of Talaba's team in the 2001-02 season, wearing an Inter Milan kit with the Inter logo and everything on it and then adding "Al-Talaba" across the middle :D Typical Iraqi football

[​IMG]

Iraqilambo repped this.
  4. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Surprising news, Basim Qasim has left Al-Zawraa, they are now looking for a new manager.

5. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Oh shit... why did he leave Zawraa? Who is able to take over from him..

6. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I think it was due to financial issues as well as a lack of trust. They didn't pay him his full contract and didn't give him a bonus for being unbeaten in the league. Basim said he rejected a lot of offers from other clubs so he could stay at Zawraa but the financial situation didn't get any better and the club started looking for a new coach without his knowledge. The full interview is in Arabic here: http://forum.kooora.com/f.aspx?t=36350913&r=1357612517

Suren01 repped this.
  7. Iraqilambo

Iraqilambo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Noor Sabri will play for Al Shorta next season

8. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Shorta are absolutely raiding Naft Wasat lol. Signed Essam Yassin, Amjad Waleed, Noor Sabri and Jassim Mohammed from them. Now looking to buy Ameer Sabah from them as well. Meanwhile Amjad Attwan and Jalal Hassan may go the other way. Shorta also looking to sign Hussam Kadhim from Naft as well as Syrian player Hamdi Al-Masri.

Suren01 repped this.
  9. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Thair Ahmed appointed coach of Zawraa

10. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Saif Salman moved to Al-Shorta

11. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraq FA decides each team can only have 2 foreign players in their squad for this season.

12. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Means a lot of Syrians will lose their place :D

13. Iraqilambo

Iraqilambo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't like this rule at all.

It cuts out competition in the teams and gives Iraqi players too much privilege. Iraqi players won't need to work hard and play at their best because their position is assured in the team.

Meanwhile, players from other countries will be less willing to play in Iraq because it will be harder for them the get regular play time.

14. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Agree fully. This is a step back for the development of our league. Some of the most exciting players have been foreigners in the last few years. And it will make our teams weaker in the AFC Cup as well which we need to do well in if we ever want to make it back into the Champions League in the future.

15. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Amjad Kalaf looks set to end his 9-year stay at Shorta and move to Zawraa! As much as I love him for what great service he has done for Shorta and how he brought us the league title twice, he is not at his best anymore and I don't mind to see him leave. He will go down as a legend at Shorta.

Suren01 repped this.
  16. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I like the guy and hope to see him soon at Zawraa :D

17. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraqi Division 1 (second division) is at the final round now. 4 teams left in the tournament: Brayaty FC, Al-Hussein, Al-Sina'at Al-Kahraba'iya and Al-Bahri. 2 of these teams will be promoted to the Iraqi Premier League for the 2016/17 season. Out of the 4 teams, Al-Bahri is the only team who has previously played in the Iraqi Premier League.

18. Iraqilambo

Iraqilambo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Should be interesting to see newcomers in the League.

19. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Amjad Kalaf changed his mind and signed new contract with Shorta, he is entering his 10th consecutive season at the club. Considering how most other Iraqi players switch between rival clubs every single season, his loyalty to Shorta is outstanding especially as he has had many offers from much better clubs over the years. I have a lot of respect for him and he is a true legend for Shorta.

Also, IFA announces that Naft Wasat will participate in the Arab World Club Cup next season (which I guess means Jawiya will be in the AFC Cup again)

20. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraqilambo repped this.
  21. iraqiwarrior

iraqiwarrior Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Yas-The-Gunner repped this.
  22. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Egyptian player Ahmed Magdy signed for Shorta! Good addition for the club.

23. mczh

mczh Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    #23 mczh, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Hi! Recently two players from my country El Salvador have been linked to clubs in Iraq -- midfielder Raul Renderos with Zakho and forward David Rugamas with Al-Mina'a. I'm not familiar at all with the league and I was wondering if you guys could tell me a bit about it, or at least point me in the right direction. So basic q's: What is the relative strength of the league? I see teams from Iraq can compete in the AFC cup but not AFC CL. Is that due to a drop in their coefficient or a result of a ban/punishment? Also, is there any where to stream/watch highlights for the league? And lastly, how likely do you think the players above will slide right into the starting 11 of their respective squads? Thanks!

Iraqilambo repped this.
  24. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Well as you know our country went through wars and that affected the infrastructure as well as the league. Now it's starting to improve but it still lacks in many aspects.

Zakho recently built a new stadium, and they are spending money to improve the club. Al-Minaa is a good club and usually doing well in the competition.

Iraqia Sports is usually broadcasting our league matches, but Al-Kass has broadcasted it as well at times. I think the mentioned players will start for their clubs.

mczh repped this.
  25. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Do you know what position this player is? When I search him in Google I see there is one Ahmed Magdy who is a defender and one Ahmed Magdy who is a winger, don't know which one it is lol.